Wind Turbine Update

I saw a bit on TV once about a guy who had his own turbine in his backyard. It generated power but it all fed straight back into the grid.

His house was powered by the grid, and the electric company paid him back/reimbursed him for the power fed from the turbine.

I don't know how our's work, but that could be a possibility.

Currently that's how it works with most home windchargers that are installed. I assume that the ones being installed at (or near) the stadium will also be connected to "the grid".

BIG ASS BATTERIES PERHAPS? I mean really Big Ass batteries...can't the eco/green folks come up with some bad ass big ass batteries for this problem? Just sayin...... :ph34r:

Well, here's one company that's working on the situation.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/article_b0372fd8-3f3c-11de-ac77-001cc4c002e0.html

Here is something more recent from MIT.

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/37699/?p1=MstCom

And, yet another article.

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/Energy-Storage-at-Grid-Scale-A123-Gets-Li-Ion-to-Market/

..and another

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/31/idUS7849161920110531

We can be part of new and emerging research and/or technologies, or we can be the shills of the traditional (and in Texas, mostly unregulated) power industry.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

BIG ASS BATTERIES PERHAPS? I mean really Big Ass batteries...can't the eco/green folks come up with some bad ass big ass batteries for this problem? Just sayin...... :ph34r:

Big batteries cost big bucks and require lots of maintanence. We've come a long ways in battery technology in the last couple of decades but it still has a long ways to go.

There are some technological hurdles, that when finally crossed, will usher in a wave of technology that changes our lives. One big one is greatly reducing the cost of moving people and equipment from the Earth's surface into space. A second one is producing huge amounts of power from a very small device. One example is to have a car engine that can fit in your palm. Another example is that we could build a plasma light saber but you would need a nuclear power plant strapped to your back. Once we're able to produce large amounts of energy in a small device we will change how people live their lives. Finally, the ability to store large amounts of energy in a small device, for a long period of time, will also change our world.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Big batteries cost big bucks and require lots of maintanence. We've come a long ways in battery technology in the last couple of decades but it still has a long ways to go.

There are some technological hurdles, that when finally crossed, will usher in a wave of technology that changes our lives. One big one is greatly reducing the cost of moving people and equipment from the Earth's surface into space. A second one is producing huge amounts of power from a very small device. One example is to have a car engine that can fit in your palm. Another example is that we could build a plasma light saber but you would need a nuclear power plant strapped to your back. Once we're able to produce large amounts of energy in a small device we will change how people live their lives. Finally, the ability to store large amounts of energy in a small device, for a long period of time, will also change our world.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

The holy grail of energy independence is Superconductivity.

http://www.azocleantech.com/news.aspx?newsID=14992

I'll drink to this!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gaLbqufGmEN9bAHiWKbk0IBJhI_w?docId=CNG.74b94bc1602464e60debdfa36711ae4f.441

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't like an active experiment going on next to the new stadium just so we can show how progressive and enlightened we are.

Experiments often fail, often miserably, and I would hate to see this stadium associated with a failed experiment.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

I think I'll trust the research done by those actually involved in the project over 'calculations' done by message board posters.

Why can't we just enjoy and be proud of one of the best things to happen to our program and university instead of finding anything and everything wrong with it and the process?

Yeah I suppose I'll trust the people that did the calculations too and presented their findings to the committee. Once presented he was removed from the committee because his findings did not make the committee feel rosy inside about their windmills anymore.

The addition of the turbines is to bring us closer to LEED Platinum. Without the turbines it would be near impossible since renewable energy sources translate into mega points on the LEED scale.

Edited by Green2012
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Yeah I suppose I'll trust the people that did the calculations too and presented their findings to the committee. Once presented he was removed from the committee because his findings did not make the committee feel rosy inside about their windmills anymore.

The addition of the turbines is to bring us closer to LEED Platinum. Without the turbines it would be near impossible since renewable energy sources translate into mega points on the LEED scale.

LEED certification is worth +3 1/2 in Vegas.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1