Unt Set To Hire Mccarney

Brett Vito

According to the article, Chico's lack of HC experience is what ultimately stopped him from getting the job despite doing more with less.

Someone has to give an OC/DC a shot at HC or otherwise there won't be any more new HCs out there.

Help me understand. I am not familiar with the new hire. I see his is the only coach considered without a winning record at 56-85.

I do not claim to be a football expert, so I am reaching out to those of you who are, or even think they are;-). Why did UNT pick the coach with the worst winning percentage.

Thanks, and please make me feel better even if you must lie.

Edited by 0footballfan0

Help me understand. I am not familiar with the new hire. I see his is the only coach considered without a winning record at 56-85.

I do not claim to be a football expert, so I am reaching out to those of you who are, or even think they are;-). Why did UNT pick the coach with the worst winning percentage.

Here are some positives on picking McCarney that probably played a role in his selection:

1. The parrallels that can be drawn between Iowa State and North Texas; difficulty to win & recruit. He has some success there. Getting to the top of the Sun Belt should be easier than getting to the top of the Big XII.

2. Defensive minded coach. It's no secret we need help there.

3. Huge connections throughout the nation. We should be able to get top talent on his staff.

The press conference should answer the question fully. I am certain there are more reasons than I gave.

Certainly not a football expert but I'll try. None of the other candidates were ever Big XII Coach of the Year. His last 7 years at ISU he was .500 and that was better than his successor Chizik now at Auburn. Actually .500 over 7 years I believe is better than any other coach in the history of ISU. He showed he can take the resources at ISU - very limited compared to every other Big 8 or Big XII school - and compete against the Oklahoma's, Nebraska's and Texas' on a weekly basis. He also has a history of very successful recruiting in Texas. He has a history of being extremely fan friendly. The thought is put him in a school with equal overall resources and better facilities than the average competition and he will produce great results.

Summary: experienced HC at Big XII level, good Texas recruiter and fan friendly.

Dan McCarney could turn us into a monster.

You have to consider that at Iowa State he had several factors working against him:

-Smallest budget in the Big 12

-Took over a team going into the Big 12 North which included four teams that had just finished with 10 wins seasons and Top 10 finishes (1995: Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, and Kansas State all won 10 or more and games and all finished in the AP Top 10).

-Inherited a team that had gone 0-10-1 the season before he arrived.

-Ames, Iowa is in the middle of nowhere and the best players from the state usually went to Iowa or Nebraska.

McCarney did what I've long argued we should do - he went out of state to recruit. The guy pounded Texas and Florida. He pulled Seneca Wallace out of California. He basically took Iowa State from an afterthought to a legitimate player for talent in many regions of the country.

He's a hard worker. To pull Iowa State from where they were to the point where they went to five bowl games and beat Iowa five seasons in a row, is really, just a notch below what Bill Snyder did at K-State and Gary Barnett did at Northwestern. He took a perennial loser with very little football history and made them legitimately competitive.

Having McCarney in the DFW area with the new stadium, with his nationwide recruiting reputation, this thing could take off really quickly. I think we had the best coaching staff in the Sun Belt this year. It will be unarguably the best next year.

This really is an exciting hire!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 3

McCarney did what I've long argued we should do - he went out of state to recruit. The guy pounded Texas and Florida. He pulled Seneca Wallace out of California. He basically took Iowa State from an afterthought to a legitimate player for talent in many regions of the country.

Technical question. Does a scholarship offered to an out of state player cost more than one offered to an in-state player?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Dan McCarney could turn us into a monster.

You have to consider that at Iowa State he had several factors working against him:

-Smallest budget in the Big 12

-Took over a team going into the Big 12 North which included four teams that had just finished with 10 wins seasons and Top 10 finishes (1995: Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, and Kansas State all won 10 or more and games and all finished in the AP Top 10).

-Inherited a team that had gone 0-10-1 the season before he arrived.

-Ames, Iowa is in the middle of nowhere and the best players from the state usually went to Iowa or Nebraska.

He's a hard worker. To pull Iowa State from where they were to the point where they went to five bowl games and beat Iowa five seasons in a row, is really, just a notch below what Bill Snyder did at K-State and Gary Barnett did at Northwestern. He took a perennial loser with very little football history and made them legitimately competitive.

Having McCarney in the DFW area with the new stadium, with his nationwide recruiting reputation, this thing could take off really quickly. I think we had the best coaching staff in the Sun Belt this year. It will be unarguably the best next year.

This really is an exciting hire!

TFLF:

With your analysis of DM it is making me like him more and more even though I was way turned off when first announced.

This might actually work here. Hope the Presser goes well today and he endears himself to the fanbase.

TFLF:

With your analysis of DM it is making me like him more and more even though I was way turned off when first announced.

This might actually work here. Hope the Presser goes well today and he endears himself to the fanbase.

It's not just Iowa State. He was part of Hayden's Fry rebuilding of Iowa that resulted in Big Ten titles and Rose Bowl berths. Ditto with Wisconsin. Really, the Florida gig he just left is the only job he's ever had where the school was already winning regularly.

The bottom line is, he's been on the inside of steep building jobs before. And, he's done it in the Big Ten and Big 12. I can't fathom a scenario where the Sun Belt is going to pose much of a problem for him.

Darrell Dickey pulled some guys from out of state that excelled here. I believe McCarney will do it as well. Decades and decades ago, schools with recruiting disadvantages such as Oklahoma and Nebraska went nationwide. They had they had a disadvantage from a population standpoint.

We've had the disadvantage of being low man on the totem pole for decades in our own state with top flight high school talent. I think McCarney ends that by going outside the borders and tapping into the contacts he established here long ago.

The thing I recall about McCarney's time in Iowa is when Merton Hanks from our RISD rival Lake Highlands signed with the Hawkeyes back in 1987. Hayden Fry created the pipline from Texas to Iowa, and McCarney was there in the teeth of it.

This is a really solid hire. The guy is legitimate. I'm eager to see who he hires as assistants. I'm also eager to see what he can do in the early JUCO signing period.

• Upvote 1

This is a really solid hire. The guy is legitimate. I'm eager to see who he hires as assistants. I'm also eager to see what he can do in the early JUCO signing period.

I completely agree with this. Frankly, I'm pretty ecstatic about it, because I've seen the types of teams McCarney puts on the field, and they are tough, disciplined, and play hard for him. Even though he struggled at IState, every word I've ever heard about how he ran his program was positive--including from other coaches. He is very well regarded.

I think he is going to blow the doors off the place at the meet and greet tonight.

It's not just Iowa State. He was part of Hayden's Fry rebuilding of Iowa that resulted in Big Ten titles and Rose Bowl berths. Ditto with Wisconsin. Really, the Florida gig he just left is the only job he's ever had where the school was already winning regularly.

The bottom line is, he's been on the inside of steep building jobs before. And, he's done it in the Big Ten and Big 12. I can't fathom a scenario where the Sun Belt is going to pose much of a problem for him.

Darrell Dickey pulled some guys from out of state that excelled here. I believe McCarney will do it as well. Decades and decades ago, schools with recruiting disadvantages such as Oklahoma and Nebraska went nationwide. They had they had a disadvantage from a population standpoint.

We've had the disadvantage of being low man on the totem pole for decades in our own state with top flight high school talent. I think McCarney ends that by going outside the borders and tapping into the contacts he established here long ago.

The thing I recall about McCarney's time in Iowa is when Merton Hanks from our RISD rival Lake Highlands signed with the Hawkeyes back in 1987. Hayden Fry created the pipline from Texas to Iowa, and McCarney was there in the teeth of it.

Really good points in your last couple of posts Lonnie.

One thing that I'll add. At Iowa State, he was handcuffed without the resources to compete with against the Big 12 heavyweights (money and facilities). With North Texas' recent facilites upgrades, as well as committment to pay coaches significantly more money, Coach Mac will have any entirely different situtaiton here. He'll get the following:

Highest salaries in the SBC for coaches

Best Stadium in the conference (by a MILE)

Other top notch athletics facilites (AC and Dorm)

One of the top 3 recruting situations in the SBC (location)

Growing and energized fanbase, even with recent losing seasons

Comparatively, he'll have access to the best in the SBC vs. the worst in the Big 12. We know that he can recruit based on his track record. He doesn't have to recruit a team filled with Big 12 level talent across the board to compete now. All he has to do is start by outrecruiting the rest of the SBC (at first) and work his way up from there.

I think this is a really solid hire for North Texas.