Coach Blakely Passes Away

Coach Blakeley was good friends with New York Yankee great, ie, the late, great Mickey Mantle. Most of you would know Mickey worked in Dallas most his adult life and during the off season, too.

Coach Blakelely had "the Mick" come up to Denton for some program that took place in the large room in the SuperPit basement. I attended it because I always liked Coach Blakely (never missed a home game coached by him as I lived in Denton those years) but I was a Micky Mantle fan from early consciousness of anything on this earth even at age 5.

I had seen Mickey Mantle hit the first home run at the grand opening game of the Houston Astrodome on April 9, 1965, in an exhibition game with the Astros. So while at the SuperPit get-together.........I go up to "Mr. Mantle" which as a southern or Texas raised boy is how you always addressed your elders; then he reached out to shake my hand. I told him I was at that first ever game in the 'Dome seeing him hit the first home run and he grinned that special Mickey grin as I'm sure he quickly reminisced.

The times I spoke with Coach Blakely he was a most kind Christian man off the court, but he could become a most entertaining devlish' sort of guy once he took his coat off. :lol:

God bless, Coach B and do rest in peace.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen