Maybe We Should Be Talking About Coaches

shaft

Maybe we should be talking about coaches. The board is already dividing into camps attacking one guy as a means to promote their guy. Why are we ripping potential applicants to shreds before they even interview? It seems we are already setting out selves up for failure.

Its one thing to say I like this guy, or I don't like the guy we hired because he's an unproven high school coach, but it doesn't make sense to attack applicants.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Maybe we should be talking about coaches. The board is already dividing into camps attacking one guy as a means to promote their guy. Why are we ripping potential applicants to shreds before they even interview? It seems we are already setting out selves up for failure.

Its one thing to say I like this guy, or I don't like the guy we hired because he's an unproven high school coach, but it doesn't make sense to attack applicants.

i am not aware who has actually applied for our coaching position. it appears we are just blowing and going over nothing, as anyone who thinks we have any influence over the ultimate decision is nuts.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

i am not aware who has actually applied for our coaching position. it appears we are just blowing and going over nothing, as anyone who thinks we have any influence over the ultimate decision is nuts.

Not having "any" influence is a little strong. You can't tell me that the fan/alumni reaction does not factor into the coaching decision at all.

I realize that it all comes down to hiring a coach that wins games, puts butts in the seats and sparks an increase in donations. RV is going to hire the best guy to accomplish this task, despite the fan input, because his job depends on it. But, the fan reaction has to play at least a small part in things, even at UNT. Maybe you consider the fan reaction a "tie breaker".

At large BCS schools with huge donors, I completely think the alumni have a say when it comes to hiring a coach. Do you honestly think that Mack Brown was hired at Texas without any influence at all from the high-end donors at UT ? What about T Boone Pickens at OSU ?

Not having "any" influence is a little strong. You can't tell me that the fan/alumni reaction does not factor into the coaching decision at all.

I realize that it all comes down to hiring a coach that wins games, puts butts in the seats and sparks an increase in donations. RV is going to hire the best guy to accomplish this task, despite the fan input, because his job depends on it. But, the fan reaction has to play at least a small part in things, even at UNT. Maybe you consider the fan reaction a "tie breaker".

At large BCS schools with huge donors, I completely think the alumni have a say when it comes to hiring a coach. Do you honestly think that Mack Brown was hired at Texas without any influence at all from the high-end donors at UT ? What about T Boone Pickens at OSU ?

So does this mean we would have Mattress Mac as our main influence then? :ph34r::whip::surrender:

• Downvote 1

Yeah!, hell it's even more ridiculous that lil ol' North Texas is even wasting it's time to build a stadium that seats over 25,000 seats, right? What in world does North Texas need a football stadium that seats more than 25,000? :rolleyes:

Rick

Yeah!, hell it's even more ridiculous that lil ol' North Texas is even wasting it's time to build a stadium that seats over 25,000 seats, right? What in world does North Texas need a football stadium that seats more than 25,000? :rolleyes:

Rick

what does one have to do with the other? we don't have a pickens or ford whose checkbook may influence coaching selections, so we can huff an puff all we want on this board, but rv is going to do what he thinks is best based upon input from people in the coaching profession, not a bunch of yahoos like us who throw nickles around like they are manhole covers.

what does one have to do with the other? we don't have a pickens or ford whose checkbook may influence coaching selections, so we can huff an puff all we want on this board, but rv is going to do what he thinks is best based upon input from people in the coaching profession, not a bunch of yahoos like us who throw nickles around like they are manhole covers.

Somewhere in the middle, the truth lies.

RV will take fan, alumni and booster input into account. After all this is a business, and the best way he can fill the seats in our new palace next year is to have a big name that based on name alone the fanbase believes a turn around is a matter of "this season or next" and no longer a matter of "if".

Now, that doesn't mean RV isn't dealing with realities that we aren't contained to deal with in our discussions - but to assume the AD isn't going to give some consideration to the wishes of the people who actually care enough about this program to write about it here (especially given RV's history of open communication with this community) is silly. That dosn't mean he's going to hire the name with the most votes in the poll (or any name on the poll for that matter) but our reaction is a big part of the consideration in this hire.

So somewhere between abosoute influence and no influence at all, our actual level of influence lies.

Somewhere in the middle, the truth lies.

RV will take fan, alumni and booster input into account. After all this is a business, and the best way he can fill the seats in our new palace next year is to have a big name that based on name alone the fanbase believes a turn around is a matter of "this season or next" and no longer a matter of "if".

Now, that doesn't mean RV isn't dealing with realities that we aren't contained to deal with in our discussions - but to assume the AD isn't going to give some consideration to the wishes of the people who actually care enough about this program to write about it here (especially given RV's history of open communication with this community) is silly. That dosn't mean he's going to hire the name with the most votes in the poll (or any name on the poll for that matter) but our reaction is a big part of the consideration in this hire.

So somewhere between abosoute influence and no influence at all, our actual level of influence lies.

can anyone say that rick asked their opinion before dodge was hired? jonnie? womens bb coach? new golf coaches? any hire he has made since he has been here? i think we have an inflated sense of our influence.if he takes this board seriously then we probably need to start looking for a new a.d.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1