Shuck Offense! Lets Go With Flying Wishbone!

PlummMeanGreen

Hamilton was a former HS QB. He can run and surely he can pass some?

Let's do it! :rolleyes:

Addendum: Because I thought it was such a great idea, I thought I must have come up with it first, :rolleyes: (uh, just kiddin' troops--I am a tad more humble than "THAT") but it was actually SUMG who came up with this idea yesterday in one of our many brain-storming idea phone sessions we've been having as NT alums starting around 1979.

I would actually be more on board with Bill Yeoman's Houston Veer but what the heck........sadly, very few ideas that have ever come from www.GoMeanGreen.com over they years have ever been used as it is.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Not a bad idea in theory. I'm pretty sure that changing offenses that drastically would make us look more anemic.

We are near leukemia stage with our anemia as it is with all these QB injuries . What does UNT have to lose at this point? Makes for a more interesting season for all concerned and, come on, there are many kinds of pass plays in the flying wishbone. I think Fry's SMU ran that "so-called" version.

I can still see UT's James Street dropping back in their wishbone throwing a long pass to Peschel(?) setting up the winning touchdown in a Cotton Bowl game versus Notre Dame, although I stand to be corrected--maybe it was "the Game of the Century" at Arkansas.

If the Cotton Bowl game, I think it was the Irish' first ever bowl game since they did not go to bowl games as school policy.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If the Cotton Bowl game, I think it was the Irish' first ever bowl game since they did not go to bowl games as school policy.

The 1970 Cotton Bowl was the first bowl game in 50 years for Notorious Dame.

I am down (as the kids say) with opting for the Flying Wishbone. I have seen the devistation that option football can bring as a Veer fullback and a defensive end who faced one of the best Wishbone attacks in Texas HS football history: the 1977-79 La Porte Bulldogs. You mix in a passing attack with all that ... BOOM goes the dynamite!

Edited by Varsity

It doesn't make sense to me if we don't know what offense the next coach is gonna bring.

IMO, Rodge is our perfect back-up guy. Stick whoever we have left as the starter and leave Rodge as your backup. He won't last the season as the starter...that's what the doctors said, right?

Give Teagarden or Baine reps as the starter and see what Canales will devise. Less risky than chucking the whole thing for a new system, mid-season.

Having said that, I will support whatever QB starts moving forward.

Edited by greenminer

It doesn't make sense to me if we don't know what offense the next coach is gonna bring.

Personally, Rodge to me is our perfect back-up guy. Stick whoever we have left as the starter and leave Rodge as your backup. He won't last the season as the starter...that's what the doctors said, right?

Give Teagarden or Baine reps as the starter and see what Canales will devise. Less risky than chucking the whole thing for a new system, mid-season.

but I hear Dodge has taken back the play calling?

Perhaps, but it was done because we have been relegated to Riley.

Stick another kid in there and maybe Chico gets the reigns again.

It's a big ol' clusterf&ck of a guess as to what is going on under Dodge. lol

So our guru just isn't good enough to call plays for Rodge? MAKE HIM THE NEXT HEAD COACH!!!

Have Chuck Peterson put in some of his plays from Air Force. The qbs we have left are all runners. If we throw some crazy option stuff at FAU, they will be caught so off-guard that we actually may have a shot.

Is your OL ready to cut block? How about your WRs?

Many (most) people think the triple option is a simple offense. It isn't.

Is your OL ready to cut block? How about your WRs?

Many (most) people think the triple option is a simple offense. It isn't.

I think that is what makes the triple option so deadly...it LOOKS simple. If we weren't on the receiving end of that weapon I could actually enjoy seeing it in operation. BeatNavy, I have enjoyed your posts. Good luck to Army the rest of the way.

I think that is what makes the triple option so deadly...it LOOKS simple. If we weren't on the receiving end of that weapon I could actually enjoy seeing it in operation. BeatNavy, I have enjoyed your posts. Good luck to Army the rest of the way.

Thanks. I truly hope that your guys get healthy.

( And, as for the triple option... I was a cadet when Jim Young was our coach and we went to two bowl games in those four years. I had a roommate who started on the O line for our 1988 Sun Bowl team. I cannot tell you how nice it is to see the team for which I cheer properly execute a cut block. )