Unt Continues Seemingly Endless Qb Search

Brett Vito

DRC

"Of all the star players on North Texas' Sun Belt Conference championship teams, quarterback Scott Hall seemed like he would among the easiest to replace. "

Brett... I love you to death, but this has to be one of the silliest things I've ever read about the Mean Green.

Edited by Green P1

"Of all the star players on North Texas’ Sun Belt Conference championship teams, quarterback Scott Hall seemed like he would among the easiest to replace. "

Brett... I love you to death, but this has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read about the Mean Green.

Really? If I had asked you in 2004 to choose among Scott hall, adrian awasom, Brandon Kennedy, patrick cobbs and Cody Spencer...you wouldn't have picked Scott as the one we were most likely to find another like him? Not only would I have picked Scott from that list but history has shown his position to be the one we've seen the most production from since those bowl wins (sans RB).

Really? If I had asked you in 2004 to choose among Scott hall, adrian awasom, Brandon Kennedy, patrick cobbs and Cody Spencer...you wouldn't have picked Scott as the one we were most likely to find another like him? Not only would I have picked Scott from that list but history has shown his position to be the one we've seen the most production from since those bowl wins (sans RB).

I'll admit to glazing over the word "stars" when I first read that sentence, but of your list I'd have put Scott easily above Awasome and Cody. Behind Booger, that entire defense was stacked.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1

"Hall never threw for 2,000 yards or tossed 20 touchdown passes in a season. He was a first-team all-conference selection just once after his junior year."

How many years was he supposed to be first-team all-conference after his Junior year? No doubt we have had more QB flux than most, but it's pretty uncommon to have a starter these days for 4 full years. You're very lucky if you get 3. If Thompson turns out to be the man, hope we can get him for a full 3.

Edited by foutsrouts

Not sure of the point, Vito is trying to make. Hall was a good QB and had a great cast around him. His talents were used very well in DD's run based offense. He had the all important leadership qualities and could throw or run well enough to keep defenses honest. After Hall left, DD had a difficult time recruiting QBs as well as any other position. Continually mouthing off about how bad the situation is at NT and eventually someone will believe you.

Dodge has been unlucky with his QB's those far. Vizza and Dodge had good freshmen years with less than stellar supporting casts. Vizza's sophomore year was disappointing but the team was awful. Vizza left unexpectedly after two years and Riley was hurt and supposedly will have limited time at QB now. The only thing I can blame Dodge for in the QB situation is not recruiting a couple more in his three classes. There is no way he could know Vizza was going to flee and Riley would be so injured that he could not effectively play full time QB. Hopefully there will be no significant QB injuries and Thompson can turn into a long term answer as backup or starter this year and starter for the next two. I really don't like going into the season with two scholarship players plus an impaired Dodge at QB. I don't see TeeGarden as a QB.

I thought Scott was special before he ever threw a pass, and before I even noticed Booger. Just my own experience/perception.

And Scott was the perfect fit for the Buick's offense. We're not asking for an all-world QB, we're asking for one that fits our current O. Hopefully Tune or Thompson will bring that to 2010.

• Upvote 1

Scott brought that intangible leadership to the field. I have watched Riley attempt to claim/grab that leadership position - it just did not seem humble enough - maybe he will get there. Vizza might have been that guy but his heart was somewhere else. Any kid that changes commitments so late in the game isn't really committed to playing the game (in general) - at least most of the time. Meager just didn't have it in him to be a leader - he had the talent, but not that leadership piece. I will even say that Drew, God rest his soul, was a very good QB - but was a silent leader. He let his actions take the place of his words. It is very rare that you have a leader that can perform - I thought that Riley would be the guy. I am hoping that he gets there.. despite the position he is playing.

He's just saying our team at the time didn't require a QB that would take over the game or play as large of a role as our QB does now. Could Scott have put up the numbers if given more opporunities? I think so, but we were winning with the strong D and ground game so it didn't require Scott to have to make a ton of passes. The QB is much more important in our offensive gameplan under Dodge.