Breaking News -- Leftwich Is Gone

Brett Vito

Deep you are right but my point is we could match the financial package and Lefty still would have left because Dodge HAS to win x number of games or he will be shown the door. Graham at Tulsa has a long term contract and will be there for many years to come. Part of the problem with giving Dodge another year is it provides zero stability for the program. When Dodge goes 7-1 and RV extends his contract it will help with the stability factor for coaches recruits etc. Until then we are in limbo. Come on, this guy was let go by Tulsa what 3-4 years ago?? This move was security based and the money was just icing on the cake.

Our biggest strength just became a possible glaring weakness....hopefully the experience on the line will help buffer the new coach, but what happens IF we do win 7 games and Dodge gets to stick around? in 2011 we'd need to coach up some of the inexperienced players to fill holes----which is without a doubt the biggest year in the program's history.

Looking back, there was certainly not a win/win decision for RV to make last November. Cut Dodge loose and you risk sending a message that we don't give coaches enough time to build a program, keep him without extending and you kill job security and recruiting. Losing coaches, like Lefty, was a risk that we chose to take. I don't like that he chose to leave so close to the season....and probably wouldn't be comfortable ever hiring him back at UNT. Which is unfortunate b/c he was one of our our best assistants.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

why is it that when a coach or player leaves for a better opportunity he/she is a quitter? have you ever ever made a job/career change that you thought would be for the better for you and your family. to say that everyone who leaves north texas is a quitter is b.s.

I may be off base here, but I think Green P1 was being sarcastic.

The timing sucks, Lefty is gone, don't want him back after doing this twice and I welcome Coach Bryant and think he will do one heck of a job.

• Upvote 1

You guys calling him sorry are freakin' nuts. It's obvious job security was a major factor. Dodge will be gone after this year, so where does that leave him?? Seriously, Dodge was all but fired at last years end. What do you think the coaching staff went through during that very short and bizarre period?? Why take a chance and go through that again??? Don't blame the guy one bit. Besides, he's on the inside and an experienced coach that knows what this team is capable of. His glasses obviously aren't tinted as deep green as some of you here.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

You guys calling him sorry are freakin' nuts. It's obvious job security was a major factor. Dodge will be gone after this year, so where does that leave him?? Seriously, Dodge was all but fired at last years end. What do you think the coaching staff went through during that very short and bizarre period?? Why take a chance and go through that again??? Don't blame the guy one bit. Besides, he's on the inside and an experienced coach that knows what this team is capable of. His glasses obviously aren't tinted as deep green as some of you here.

My beef is the timing of it all. I don't fault a person for doing better for themselves or their family, but I don't think you up and leave a few days prior to fall practice. Lefty wouldn't have a difficult time finding work after this season if he needed to. Besides, Graham is a douche.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I guess he was not aware of any of this before he signed his last contract with NT.

• Downvote 1

Good Luck Lefty. You did a great job both times you coached here. When Lefty was at Tulsa the first time I believe the head coach went to Louisville. The coach left Lefty holding the bag and didn't take Lefty to Louisville. I bet Lefty remembers that situation, and didn't want to work for the next unknown/known coach UNT will be bringing in. I don't think RV brings in the OL coach to ask his opinion on who he hires as the next HC. Odds are Dodge won't be here next year. Lefty deserves job security just like all of us. Lefty's a good coach. No telling how Left and Dodge got along as compared to Lefty and Dickey. I'm sure Lefty didn't appreciate working with all the over matched HS coached on the staff. Personal relationships are one thing, but other coaches affect overall team performance and recruiting. I'm sure no one asked Lefty what he thought about bringing all his HS counterparts, so I'm sure Lefty didn't consult others about what was best for himself and his family.

I look at it is : we will now have a coach who's heart is 100% into it & ready to prove himself vs. one who was good , but also knew that his chances of being here beyond this year were slim thus making his heart not 100% into it. Best of luck & welcome aboard coach Bryant

+1, and I've been thinking the same thing. There's something to be said about enthusiasm. Let's remember that Tulsa gave us a pretty good shellacking while Bryant was playing there, and (Leftwich was coaching there). Since it appears that, by serving as a GA under Leftwich, he was taking a career track towards being a college football coach, I'm sure he paid attention and learned something from the man he's replacing.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

I know Spencer personally (though not really well) and I am sure this decision was absolutely gut wrenching for him and his family.

He has been an outstanding coach for UNT for many years and deserves all the slack in the world. He has done great things for the Mean Green. While the timing sucks, this is our current place in the college football world. Vandy snags the coach from a smaller fish and that fish goes and snags the OL coach from an even smaller fish.

This is what happens when you have good coaches, other schools will want them.

• Upvote 1