North Texas wins 2nd Hockey Title

NT80

North Texas wins second ICHL title

UNT beats SMU, 9-4, in Sunday's postseason tournament final

02/26/2003

By STEVE GAMEL / The Dallas Morning News

It was one of those surreal moments Chad Hubbard will never forget.

The sophomore forward was playing in his first Intercollegiate Hockey League postseason tournament final Sunday, but he used his nervous energy to score four goals and lead North Texas past SMU, 9-4, for its second consecutive ICHL title.

His parents, Terry and Beth, watched from the stands for the first time this season.

"They've watched me before, just not this season," Hubbard said. "They flew in from North Carolina, and to do something like that [four goals] at that moment was pretty neat. I didn't think that could happen."

The win capped a postseason in which UNT outscored two opponents, 18-10. Sophomore Jon-Michael Cook had four goals in a semifinal victory against Texas.

For his parents' sake, Hubbard wished his goals were more impressive.

The first two came after UNT built a 3-2 lead after the first period, and the puck was placed so perfectly to him in front of the goal, that he said all he had to do was turn and shoot. On the third, he and teammate Bryan Roos confused the goalie by skating around the back of the net. The keeper followed Roos, and Hubbard slipped it in.

"The fourth was even more easy, because we were shorthanded and somehow the puck got cleared to me [on the opposite end of the ice]," Hubbard said. "The only other person down there was the goalie, and it happened so fast nobody knew what happened."

Hubbard scored three times in the third period to build as much as a 9-3 lead. Cook added his fifth goal of the tournament with 8:33 remaining. SMU, which had beaten UNT, 6-5, early in the season, wasn't allowed more than one goal in each of the final two periods.

"Everybody knew we could win, but we also knew this was the second-best team in the league and we couldn't take them for granted," Cook said. "We started sluggish, but once we got on a roll, we pretty much wore them down."

Hubbard added the season for UNT (13-3) would have been wasted had they not won the tournament. Two of their losses were by forfeit, and they hoped to make a return trip to the American Collegiate Hockey Association Division III National Championships after becoming the first Texas team to reach the tournament last year. However, the team didn't play enough ACHA games to qualify.

Either way, the athletes marveled at how far the program has come. Two years ago, hockey wasn't a recognized club sport on the UNT campus. They went 14-1-1 last year, and between 75-100 fans showed up Sunday.

The trick now, Hubbard said, is to give them a reason to come back.

"It shows we have gotten everyone's attention, and hopefully we can keep it going," Hubbard said. "[sunday] will impact North Texas in a good way."

350 eh!! Hmm I doubt it or at least they where not mean green fans, but our team kicks but! Apparently they are a high powred offense! They score tons of points!! I wish I had a chance to see them

I'm confused MGNation. blink.gif You question the 350 attendance figure that class84 throws out, but then you later admit you never saw them play. Why would you questioned that number is you weren't there? huh.gif

I'm mainly questioning the number of mean green fans present, I have been to some of the lesser watched sporting events such as womans soccer, baseball, and the roller hockey team and the number in attendance at those was very little so I just don't see how the attendance could be that high for this when most students don't even know the team exists.

This is from a post from UNTCampbell:

What a fun time...my guess, about 450 fans, about 400 for NT. Sigma Nu had a ton of guys...I think Hubbard is in their frat. Quality signage and a little face paint. Our fans were into it...lots of hammering SMU players

from the stands. SMU fans were loud at first, then quiet. Scoreboard!

I'll stand by my estimate.