Hypothetical : If We Start Out 0 - 3 Do We Fire Dodge

NT03

Sadly, on occasion you throw the baby out with the bathwater. Good coaches with losing programs are often casualties of change. We should open our new stadium with a winning team or a new coaching staff to erase all traces of failure and signal a new beginning.

I tend to agree with some who have posted here before about how Dodge should have retained some of Dickey's assistants, some of whom have done quite well after being hired elsewhere. If a hypothetical new coach should be given a free hand, shouldn't the decision to retain one or more assistants be his prerogative?

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

I tend to agree with some who have posted here before about how Dodge should have retained some of Dickey's assistants, some of whom have done quite well after being hired elsewhere. If a hypothetical new coach should be given a free hand, shouldn't the decision to retain one or more assistants be his prerogative?

Hypothetically, how many coaches actually retain assistants from a failed regime ? They want a staff that they assemble and are personally comfortable with. New coaches bring a new enthusiasm and approach.

I'm hoping that this year will be successful, but if not we need a total change as we move forward with our new stadium.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 1

No, you don't terminate anybody based on the first three games, NT will most likely be the underdog against all three schools although I feel like two are very winnable. What possible good could come out of changing coaches that early? if you remember RV let lame duck DD coach after he had been terminated, an unfortunate move for all but it certainly doesn't point to RV making any rash changes.

My only hope, is that our AD will have a new coach picked or a very short list before he announces a decision. I don't want what we got last year. RV ostensibly reviewing the coach after the year with apparently no other options identified. I was far bringing back Dodge at that point, rather then going through a long progress and ending up with most likely a hurried choice.

I do think Dodge has a good chance to turn it around this year, however if the team doesn't show improvement in the first half of the season, I hope the athletic administration is doing everything they can to select the next coach.

• Upvote 1

There is no possible way for us to begin the season 0-3 with this coaching staff. I'd be shocked if we weren't 2-1 and Kansas State was worried because of our strong showing at Clemson.

Chew on that, Chico haters!

This is signature material !

There is no possible way for us to begin the season 0-3 with this coaching staff. I'd be shocked if we weren't 2-1 and Kansas State was worried because of our strong showing at Clemson.

Chew on that, Chico haters!

Boy howdy, everyone would love that! I think it's certainly a possibility (though I have a bad feeling about Clemson...are they historically slow starters or finishers?). The talent's there, the coaching is there (in principle & experience), now we just need to get some of the rolls, calls, and bounces to go our way this year!Last year could have easily been a 7 win season, and there's no reason this one cannot be 7+ when you factor everything into it.

By the way, whether the contract of TD is renewed or a new HC and staff is in for 2011, I'd be surprised not to see the annual salary of the next head coach plus incentives be close to $1,000,000 per year. Look at the way the salaries have been stepped up and paid new deals to RV and JJ recently. Folks, remember a lot of those coaches salaries benefit from the revenue sharing, which is pretty mute in the Sun Belt. SMU is in C-USA and can step up to the plate very easily, as the coaches in the C-USA generally make more and the salary 'pool' for assistants is larger than those in the Sun Belt.

• 3 months later...