Unt Alumni And Their Companies

Travis

I wonder how many owners of successful businesses come from UNT and the degree of involvement they have with the University that helped get them where they are...

We know of Jordan Case and Park Place Lexus and how well he is involved with the university.

But, I just found out that Jay Lombardo of Lombardo Custom Apparel is a UNT grad too. Especially when he gives so much to the Stars and Mavs market, I am not sure he has any involvement with us. But, why can't that change?

What others around the metroplex, state, nation do you know who is an alumni of UNT that we should target more often??

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Your post is worthy of some thoughts and actions. I would like to know of any companies owned or run by UNT alums. that way I could support them.

BTW, Jay and I were Sig Eps in the early 80's together. He has given alot and was invloved in the construction of the new house on the other side of campus. He is a fan of athletics and I have sen him at several football games. He should be working with Coach Jones as he is a spiffy dresser.

Good stuff. There are many businesses run by UNT alumni in Denton, the DFW area and across the state and nation. In addition there are many athletes, musicians, etc. of a fairly high-profile nature that are UNT grads and alums. Often, they simply need a "reason" to re-connect to their university. For some reason, many alums simply lose touch with the university and never seem to reconnect. That is a situation that is too bad for both the alum and the university and the reasons are many with both sides having a part to play. All too often, the alum just seems to "fade away" having gotton too busy with "life" to give it much thought. They just need a reason to re-connect. If you listen to Jordon Case, that was his situation before RV reconnected with him and provided that "reason" and "opportunity" to reconnect. Often it is just a matter of asking and providing an invitation to "come home".

I could go on forever regarding the alums I have contacted and discussed "coming home" with over the last few years. However, I do not have the same "status" as an RV, Coach Dodge, Coach Jones, Lee Jackson, etc., etc. The UNT Alumni Association has been working to make inroads into this area as well and has seen some success in the last few years. If you are a member of the Alumni Association you will see many businesses references on their website and in various groups on the site...job opportunities as well. If you are not a member of the Alumni Association, I would urge you to consider joining. The cost is very small, and you would be helping to solve the very issue we are considering in this post.

Good stuff...GO MEAN GREEN!

Your post is worthy of some thoughts and actions. I would like to know of any companies owned or run by UNT alums. that way I could support them.

BTW, Jay and I were Sig Eps in the early 80's together. He has given alot and was invloved in the construction of the new house on the other side of campus. He is a fan of athletics and I have sen him at several football games. He should be working with Coach Jones as he is a spiffy dresser.

Coach Jones does wear some Lombardo custom apparel from what I hear. I have always wanted to head down and get a suit myself.

I think you mean Ruby's Diner, not Rudy's...Rudy's is the BBQ place on 35, Ruby's Diner is on the square in Denton and is owned by the same guy who owns Beth Marie's. Sorry, I cannot think of his name right now either.

C. Dan Smith, Smith Exploration 7 figure stadium donor chairman board of regents

Ray David Sr. Chairman of the Board PointBank and co founder of Grandy's with Rex Sanders

Ray David Jr. President Pointbank

Randy Robinson, President, Accessfirst Capital Bank

David Vanderlaan, Vanderlaan Real Estate

David Riley, President, Bonded Lightning Protection

Scott Brown, Brown Properties

Frank Morris, President First State Bank Oldest bank charter surviving unchanged in texas

Bobby Ray, President Goodman Homes

Edited by meangreenmanderoo

C. Dan Smith, Smith Exploration 7 figure stadium donor chairman board of regents

Ray David Sr. Chairman of the Board PointBank and co founder of Grandy's with Rex Glendenning

Ray David Jr. President Pointbank

Randy Robinson, President, Accessfirst Capital Bank

David Vanderlaan, Vanderlaan Real Estate

David Riley, President, Bonded Lightning Protection

Scott Brown, Brown Properties

Frank Morris, President First State Bank Oldest bank charter surviving unchanged in texas

Bobby Ray, President Goodman Homes

Are you sure that Ray David, Sr. was a co-founder of Grandy's? I know he was at one time in the restaurant business, but did not know it was Grandy's. It was my understanding that Grandy's was founded in 1973 by Walter E. Johnson and Rex Sanders. I know the Johnson/Sanders partnership sold Grandy's, perhaps Mr. David was one of the buyers, but I do believe Mr. Johnson and Mr. Sanders actually founded Grandy's.

But, I could be mistaken as well as I do know Mr. David was in the restaurant business. Either way, the David's support UNT as does PointBank and have for a good bit of time. They also support many other local community projects. The bank is definitely a great community citizen as are many of the officers and employees of the bank.

Rex Glendenning-Rex Real Estate.

From the 1978 North Texas media guide.

"Rex Glendenning, 6-1 X 212, Senior Linebacker, Celina. (Coach G.A. Moore). Rex Keith Glendenning, born 12-27-1956 in Dallas, pre-law Major.

Started the Florida State game ahead of an ailing Burks Washington at RLB. Recovered one opponent's fumble last season. First team all-state in Class B (now 1-a)by Texas Sports Writers association. Twice all-district. Older brother Craig was a starting OG at Texas A&M.