All Decade B-ball Team

calvin

We had some good players this decade, this would be my all decade team.

PG- Ben Bell

SG- Kendrick Davis

SF- Chris Davis

PF- Deginald Erskine

C- Shawnson Johnson

2nd Team

PG- Josh White

SG- Leonard Hopkins

SF- Calvin Watson

PF- Quincy Williams

C- Keith Wooden

Very good.

Personally I would put Wooden over Johnson because Wooden had a more offensive game. Johnson had one move, plus following up on offensive rebounds.

We had some good players this decade, this would be my all decade team.

PG- Ben Bell

SG- Kendrick Davis

SF- Chris Davis

PF- Deginald Erskine

C- Shawnson Johnson

2nd Team

PG- Josh White

SG- Leonard Hopkins

SF- Calvin Watson

PF- Quincy Williams

C- Keith Wooden

One more thought: Josh ahead of Kendrick at the 2 guard position. Josh is the best offensive player we have ever had, if he were 6-1 he would be at Kansas or somewhere like that, and Josh is not a PG. Nothing against Kendrick, our go-to guy for a couple of years. But Josh is special.

First Team -

PG. Isaac Hines - 6'1" guard who led the team in rebounding his junior season...scored when needed, including some very timely threes...distributed the ball well...led team in steals his 2 seasons...he did everything you want your point guard to do to help this team win.

SG. Kendrick Davis - no more clutch player in the past decade for UNT...plus I give his temper credit for turning Calvin into the player we remember him as, rather than just the role player he was in his first three seasons.

SF. Chris Davis - arguably the greatest player in UNT history.

PF. Quincey Williams - double-double machine

C. Shawnson Johnson - when his head was in the game I've never seen a more dominant player at UNT

Second Team -

PG. Ben Bell - statistically underwhelming, but he was the motor on the tourney team.

SG. Josh White - untgeorge, you're right, if he were 6'1" he'd be elsewhere, but he's 5'8"...and with that comes limitations. I love him and he has a season and a half to convince me otherwise, but I'd still take KD at this point.

SF. Calvin Watson - really came into his own as a senior...and that 6 of 9 night in the SBC final was magic.

PF. George Odufuwa - strong, athletic rebounder who's continued offensive game development has helped carry us through various injuries

C. Keith Wooden - Injuries slowed his senior year, but he'd make the list based solely on the Memphis game.

Honorable Mention -

SG. Leonard Hopkins - actually had the 2nd highest scoring season (18.1 in 04-05) on this list.

SF. Rich Young - the glue

PF. Michael DeGrate - versitille inside-outside game

SG. Adam McCoy - so under-utilized

First Team -

PG. Isaac Hines - 6'1" guard who led the team in rebounding his junior season...scored when needed, including some very timely threes...distributed the ball well...led team in steals his 2 seasons...he did everything you want your point guard to do to help this team win.

SG. Kendrick Davis - no more clutch player in the past decade for UNT...plus I give his temper credit for turning Calvin into the player we remember him as, rather than just the role player he was in his first three seasons.

SF. Chris Davis - arguably the greatest player in UNT history.

PF. Quincey Williams - double-double machine

C. Shawnson Johnson - when his head was in the game I've never seen a more dominant player at UNT

Second Team -

PG. Ben Bell - statistically underwhelming, but he was the motor on the tourney team.

SG. Josh White - untgeorge, you're right, if he were 6'1" he'd be elsewhere, but he's 5'8"...and with that comes limitations. I love him and he has a season and a half to convince me otherwise, but I'd still take KD at this point.

SF. Calvin Watson - really came into his own as a senior...and that 6 of 9 night in the SBC final was magic.

PF. George Odufuwa - strong, athletic rebounder who's continued offensive game development has helped carry us through various injuries

C. Keith Wooden - Injuries slowed his senior year, but he'd make the list based solely on the Memphis game.

Honorable Mention -

SG. Leonard Hopkins - actually had the 2nd highest scoring season (18.1 in 04-05) on this list.

SF. Rich Young - the glue

PF. Michael DeGrate - versitille inside-outside game

SG. Adam McCoy - so under-utilized

McCoy was didn't play many minutes because he played poorly until the last half of his senior season. For 8 games or so, he was great.

McCoy was didn't play many minutes because he played poorly until the last half of his senior season. For 8 games or so, he was great.

Adam struggled the first half of his junior year...I'd chalk that up to always playing around inferior players and only being counted on to score. I felt he really improved towards the end of his junior year (highlighted by his perfect night vs. ASU) and was really hopeful going into last year that JJ would turn his best shooter and best athlete loose. It didn't happen until the end of the season...but I felt what you saw there was what we saw flashes of his entire senior season.

Would not put Johnson, a player that played one semester, on an all decade team. Likewise I have a problem putting Erkin or Jason Miller on any all star team when they both left for greener pastures. Chris Davis is undoubtedly the best player of the decade, but not the best ever at NT. Wooden when he was not injured and was in somewhere near playing shape was very good but that did not happen enough.

Chris Davis - One of the all time bests

Isaac Hines - Consistent point who was great re-bounder from guard position

Quincy Williams - Four year contributor, good re-bounder

Josh White - Based on past decade performance, very smart unselfish ballplayer

Leonard Hopkins - Great offensive ballplayer, who played through a lot of injuries

H.M.

Bryan Lucas - Walk on from football program, was bright spot on horrible Trilli team

Rich Young - Great Leader

Ben Bell - No one played harder

Keith Wooden - When he was on, great offensive center

Jerome Green - Good all around player on Jones' early teams

Calvin Watson - Player that got better every year

Kendrick Davis - Down senior year kept him off my AD team

Eric Tramiel - Based on last year performance, close to AD pick because of NT lack of front court standouts

Edited by GrandGreen

Adam struggled the first half of his junior year...I'd chalk that up to always playing around inferior players and only being counted on to score. I felt he really improved towards the end of his junior year (highlighted by his perfect night vs. ASU) and was really hopeful going into last year that JJ would turn his best shooter and best athlete loose. It didn't happen until the end of the season...but I felt what you saw there was what we saw flashes of his entire senior season.

X100

He also struggled the first 18 games of his senior year. He began the year playing 14-18 mins a game, that quickly went down and he played less than 10 a game for more than half the season. It wasn't until late Jan that he began to earn more playing time. The info can be found on the UNT web site.

JJ tried to turn him loose early, but he did not respond and his playing time went drastically down. I can't put a guy on the all-decade team when he played a few good games at the end of his junior year and a few more at the end of his senior year.

He also struggled the first 18 games of his senior year. He began the year playing 14-18 mins a game, that quickly went down and he played less than 10 a game for more than half the season. It wasn't until late Jan that he began to earn more playing time. The info can be found on the UNT web site.

JJ tried to turn him loose early, but he did not respond and his playing time went drastically down. I can't put a guy on the all-decade team when he played a few good games at the end of his junior year and a few more at the end of his senior year.

Adam's "shot" came in the first five games - he averaged 16.2minutes, shot 44% from the field, 55% from 3 and scored 8.2ppg...on an average of 6.4 shots per game. Mixed in was a 5 rebound night, a 6 rebound night and a 4 assist night so he was contributing in other areas while scoring efficiently. Is this what you meant by JJ turning him loose? Is this what you mean by his not responding?

He then struggled against Houston...a game where the entire team struggled...playing 9 minutes, shooting 1-5, 1-3 for 3 pts. Minutes in his next 7 game - 3, 6, 8, 5, DNP, 4, 5 - He still shot right about 50% from 3, and had two games (NM State and Houston Baptist) where he scored a point per minute.

He played 14 and scored 13 against Arkansas...then was rewarded with 4 minutes against UALR, a game he missed his 1 shot, but pulled 3 boards and added an assist and a steal.

His minutes would then fluctuate between 20 and 4 until the MTSU game, his first of 4 20 point scoring nights. He then went bananas with a 16.9ppg average in his last 8 games.

When Adam played, he scored and he scored efficiently. I'll give him mention in an all decade team b/c of those last 8 games, hell, I'll give it to him based on the shooting orgy he had to try and extend the season against WKU...but more than any of that I'll give it to him based on what could have been. I love JJ...I'd go to battle anyday for that man...but there are 4 major coaching decisions I'll never understand and 3 have to do with minute distribution: Why didn't Adam play more? Why didn't Rich Young play more? Why didn't Will Smith play more? and Why did you try and make Ben Bell a scoring guard at the start of his senior season?