Just When You Thought Our College Football Irrelevance

FirefightnRick

You want my plan? Fair enough, here it is...if I was RV I would:

Tell Dodge that he is coaching a two game season. Win out and we're 4-8. Not great but it shows improvement and gives momentum going forward. Both of these are vital to selling this program to those I'm trying to get to buy in. Tell Dodge that short of four wins he will either need to tender his resignation or be prepared to be called "Todd Dodge, North Texas OC". His ego won't allow the demotion along with the firing of Ford.

Have a short list of potential replacements in hand. If we have to cut ties or re-assign Dodge I don't want the new guy hamstrung in recruiting.

Say that next season we have to be bowl eligible. Not necessarily in a bowl, because bowl tie ins can be hinky, but we need to have 6 or more wins. If not, fired. At this point we should be able avoid having to re-assign him.

Bring EVERY coach in and ask them to explain exactly what progress has been made in their respective area. Short of a very good answer, fire them.

Make it abundantly obvious that practice as it has been conducted will cease. We will hitlike football teams do, we will practice tackling, we will abandon soft zone/man coverage. "Blood alley" will return. Finesse football has seen it's last days at North Texas. And, because we need all the interest we can muster from fans, practice will be open.

That would be my plan. Fire away.

Don't disagree with much that you say there, except that you suggest that the new head coach would not be allowed to be involved in choosing his own staff.

Tell Dodge that he is coaching a two game season. Win out and we're 4-8. Not great but it shows improvement and gives momentum going forward. Both of these are vital to selling this program to those I'm trying to get to buy in. Tell Dodge that short of four wins he will either need to tender his resignation or be prepared to be called "Todd Dodge, North Texas OC". His ego won't allow the demotion along with the firing of Ford.

Have a short list of potential replacements in hand. If we have to cut ties or re-assign Dodge I don't want the new guy hamstrung in recruiting.

Say that next season we have to be bowl eligible. Not necessarily in a bowl, because bowl tie ins can be hinky, but we need to have 6 or more wins. If not, fired. At this point we should be able avoid having to re-assign him.

Bring EVERY coach in and ask them to explain exactly what progress has been made in their respective area. Short of a very good answer, fire them.

Make it abundantly obvious that practice as it has been conducted will cease. We will hitlike football teams do, we will practice tackling, we will abandon soft zone/man coverage. "Blood alley" will return. Finesse football has seen it's last days at North Texas. And, because we need all the interest we can muster from fans, practice will be open.

Good post. Absolutely agree with all of it. One question, do you think that the speech was already given before this last game?...ie, we're playing a 3 game season. Have a winning record in these 3 or else. I do---er, I hope so. It certainly sounded like it from the quotes in the DRC by TD and Riley.

Edited by TIgreen01

I would have to say...not a bad plan. But, I do think you will see TD here next season.