Army Game

KRAM1

Our sports information director is Eric Capper and he is a true professional doing a great job. SIF directors are not promotions directors.

VERY glad to know that. Amazing it took so long for someone to clue me in on who the guy was...I think you state the obvious when you say "SIF directors are not promotions directors", but seems you always do have a very firm grasp of the obvious. OK, that's supposed to be a joke...don't go nuts on me....

So, UNT has a "true professional" as a SIF. OK, I'll certainly take your word for that as I had no clue who he was or even if one existed. My bad. Now, pray tell, what does the SIF office do under the command of said "true professional" to get the word out in the DFW area about UNT? Rarely do I see any mention of UNT Athletics on the 6PM or 10PM news coverages from local stations...often UNT is not even mentioned in the Dallas Morning News regarding team events, win/losses, etc. Everything I read seems to have a Brett Vitto by line and is a reprint from a Denton Record Chronicle article. HS sports get better placement in the News than UNT does, etc. So, how does this work in the SID world. Is it all about wins and losses? If so, why have a SID at all? You win...you get coverage...you lose nothing and nothing changes that...why pay for an SID? I assume the job involves getting the program as much play as possible...BUT, probably the duties are so much broader than that...like I say...and definitely admit...not so clued in to said SID duties. Maybe the job is just to talk to other SID's and get things set up media-wise for game days, etc. I don't know. So, Old Times, you obviously have the inside track on the position here at UNT...what makes our SID "great". Besides, of course, probably being a great guy...sort of like TD.

I will admit right now to being "under-educated" about the full range of duties of a college SI Director, so I am, in no way, meaning to throw our SID "under the bus". That would be very unfair as I have so little info on the deal at UNT. I am really asking questions as it seems the SID and the Promo folks (still no one has mentioned that person's name...Old Timer do you know the answer here too?) might...just might want to work together to "get the word out" about UNT athletics...not JUST the football team.

Thanks in advance for the help. And, that's not a joke. And, please...Quoner...no of your so predictable...Kram is being negative stuff...I am not...I just want to know the deal here as I really had no idea we had a "true professional" in the position and I, obviously, do not know what the duties really are for the SID and his team!

BTW...not one word or even a box score regarding the Men's or Women's games against Newman appear in this mornings Dallas Morning News Sports pages...I looked three times for any mention...even a score...not to be found...but they did have the Robert Morris-Syracuse and the NC-NC Central scores listed and some info on Boise State, SMU, TCU, OSU, OU, Baylor, Texas, Alabama, etc., etc. Maybe the score and a write-up will appear in tomorrow's appear...if so, it will probably carry a Brett Vito by-line.

I have no clue if the SID is responsible in any way for local media content and getting UNT "in the news".

VERY glad to know that. Amazing it took so long for someone to clue me in on who the guy was...I think you state the obvious when you say "SIF directors are not promotions directors", but seems you always do have a very firm grasp of the obvious. OK, that's supposed to be a joke...don't go nuts on me....

So, UNT has a "true professional" as a SIF. OK, I'll certainly take your word for that as I had no clue who he was or even if one existed. My bad. Now, pray tell, what does the SIF office do under the command of said "true professional" to get the word out in the DFW area about UNT? Rarely do I see any mention of UNT Athletics on the 6PM or 10PM news coverages from local stations...often UNT is not even mentioned in the Dallas Morning News regarding team events, win/losses, etc. Everything I read seems to have a Brett Vitto by line and is a reprint from a Denton Record Chronicle article. HS sports get better placement in the News than UNT does, etc. So, how does this work in the SID world. Is it all about wins and losses? If so, why have a SID at all? You win...you get coverage...you lose nothing and nothing changes that...why pay for an SID? I assume the job involves getting the program as much play as possible...BUT, probably the duties are so much broader than that...like I say...and definitely admit...not so clued in to said SID duties. Maybe the job is just to talk to other SID's and get things set up media-wise for game days, etc. I don't know. So, Old Times, you obviously have the inside track on the position here at UNT...what makes our SID "great". Besides, of course, probably being a great guy...sort of like TD.

I will admit right now to being "under-educated" about the full range of duties of a college SI Director, so I am, in no way, meaning to throw our SID "under the bus". That would be very unfair as I have so little info on the deal at UNT. I am really asking questions as it seems the SID and the Promo folks (still no one has mentioned that person's name...Old Timer do you know the answer here too?) might...just might want to work together to "get the word out" about UNT athletics...not JUST the football team.

Thanks in advance for the help. And, that's not a joke. And, please...Quoner...no of your so predictable...Kram is being negative stuff...I am not...I just want to know the deal here as I really had no idea we had a "true professional" in the position and I, obviously, do not know what the duties really are for the SID and his team!

Let's all visit the athletics web site for Kram! http://www.meangreensports.com/SportSelect...&SPSID=9509

SID - all of the game notes, media guides, day-to-day media relations, long-lead stories, etc. They have a team that attends every game and populates the site, sends scores, info, etc. to local and national outlets ASAP, blogs, puts together videos, etc. Eric Capper and the Stephens are your guys here.

Marketing - Paul Batchelder is the lead guy for marketing and has been for a long time. Jamie Adams runs the promotions show and has since 2005. He meets with student groups, develops materials, works with sponsors and partners, works with more student groups and puts together events like the Clark Park tailgate. They develop the scripts for all sporting events, coordinate with the band, etc. You know Jamie - you're just playing dumb, because he is the one you complain about the shirts too.

Mean Green Club - John Burkett with Mandy over him. They would be the ones to ask about the flyers, etc.

All of these people have two college degrees - especially the younger ones, because that is what the market requires. When an internship opens anywhere in the country, hundreds of grad-trained students apply for these openings - usually for little to no pay. This demand also holds the salary down at the lower ranks - meaning you have to really want to put in 80 hour work weeks for 8-10 years or so before the money and opportunities to enjoy your family come. UNT doesn't have a sports mgmt masters program - this is why we don't get many of our grads back in the AD. It's not an agenda or a hatred of the school, it's just the realities of college athletics.

Hope that helped. Let me know if you need help wiping or cleaning up the toilet seat later today. I'm always here to help!

BTW...not one word or even a box score regarding the Men's or Women's games against Newman appear in this mornings Dallas Morning News Sports pages...I looked three times for any mention...even a score...not to be found...but they did have the Robert Morris-Syracuse and the NC-NC Central scores listed and some info on Boise State, SMU, TCU, OSU, OU, Baylor, Texas, Alabama, etc., etc. Maybe the score and a write-up will appear in tomorrow's appear...if so, it will probably carry a Brett Vito by-line.

I have no clue if the SID is responsible in any way for local media content and getting UNT "in the news".

I guarantee you the score was sent to anyone and everyone who could use it. You should be asking the question why does the DMN not see the need to include it?

[quote name='Quoner' date='Nov 12 2009, 09:56 AM' post='454541'

Hope that helped. Let me know if you need help wiping or cleaning up the toilet seat later today. I'm always here to help!

So, now, at least, I know where I can find you. Nice to know. Hmmmmmmmmm....seems UNT is missing something if the job descriptions you post are the actual duties to be handled by these folks. But, OK, glad to know. Promotions??? We don't need no stinking promotions and that media stuff...you know...day to day media relations...I guess all we need is the DRC. OK, I'm good to go with that knowledge. I definitely know what to expect now. Much appreciate the info.

Enjoy the men's room Quoner...it is the men's room for you, right? :lol:

Call them and ask them what they're doing. Ask for a time sheet if you must - maybe even sketch out a few ideas for them. I mean, it's so easy to judge from the "box scores," but unless you get into the AD and see it "live", you won't appreciate the "improvements", right?

I think they'll be more and happy to talk to you. Or...keep being a passive-aggressive douche. Either/or.

I am pretty sure this game will not have problem selling out. How was the Navy game marketed? Did we have trouble feeling the stands then?

Personally, I've never really had a problem feeling the stands. My wife complains about how uncomfortable they are but she's been better since I bought her a cushioned stadium seat.

Call them and ask them what they're doing. Ask for a time sheet if you must - maybe even sketch out a few ideas for them. I mean, it's so easy to judge from the "box scores," but unless you get into the AD and see it "live", you won't appreciate the "improvements", right?

I think they'll be more and happy to talk to you. Or...keep being a passive-aggressive douche. Either/or.

I have...and, oh, that's not nice! <_< So, you a behavior analyst now? Psychologist maybe???? Name calling is so un-Quoner. Tsk Tsk. Nice to have someone defend the SID with such emotion. If you can't make your point any other way...at least you could be more creative with the name calling.

Is the SID your brother-in-law or something or does he perhpas have pictures???? So, let me get this staright...it's OK to bash the head coach and the AD, but to question the SID and Promo guy...well, that's just going too far. Nice to know the guidelines...sorry to have offended your ever so sensitve sense of correctness.

I know, just having fun. :unsure:

I have...and, oh, that's not nice! <_< So, you a behavior analyst now? Psychologist maybe???? Name calling is so un-Quoner. Tsk Tsk. Nice to have someone defend the SID with such emotion. If you can't make your point any other way...at least you could be more creative with the name calling.

Is the SID your brother-in-law or something or does he perhpas have pictures???? So, let me get this staright...it's OK to bash the head coach and the AD, but to question the SID and Promo guy...well, that's just going too far. Nice to know the guidelines...sorry to have offended your ever so sensitve sense of correctness.

I know, just having fun. :unsure:

Most of the time, I don't like to bash anyone except other posters - it's been pretty much my policy for 4 years, especially as I realized there's a small group that actually cares what I have to say. The material is endless. When mister rah-rah positive pants gets his panties in a wad and stars going negative on a board where the other breaking topics are Playmaker's thoughts on RV, I'll go with what interests me. I found out if we did the NT Preview suggestion - we did and it failed miserably - and has for several years, even when we played Navy. Working in communications, you can push the story lines and news items all you want, but if you don't have a reason for people to care, no one covers you. Why would Johnny Sparepants in Richardson want to read anything more than the notes and coverage from Vito on the team? Do you want Kevin Sherrington to write a column? Do you have story angles to push? When we had angles - such as conference titles, leading rushers, etc. - the AD pushed them and got some great national coverage out of it. Dunbar still gets the majority of our dwindling positive press.

I guess I have a certain amount of sympathy for members of the staff - even the ones that I am fairly certain hate my guys and file away my posts for some future plot to destroy my internets.

Working in college athletics is - for many reasons - a job with a ton of crappy baggage. Kicking them - outside of specific incidents or failures - is akin to me to pushing a crippled dog off a treadmill for not walking faster. I don't advocate blaming anyone, but if you think the people responsible for putting a good face on what has become a floundering and irrelevant football product deserve the majority of your outrage and anger, then I just don't think you see the big picture.

Working in college athletics is - for many reasons - a job with a ton of crappy baggage. Kicking them - outside of specific incidents or failures - is akin to me to pushing a crippled dog off a treadmill for not walking faster. I don't advocate blaming anyone, but if you think the people responsible for putting a good face on what has become a floundering and irrelevant football product deserve the majority of your outrage and anger, then I just don't think you see the big picture.

Does that "job with a ton of crappy baggage" in college athletics extend to the Head Coach and the AD as well?

Your definition of "anger and outrage" is one bunch different than mine it seems. I am angry and outragged at no one...that does no good. Seems however, sir, that the outrage and anger is yours. You might want to check some of the tenor and tone of your posts. Sorry if the "discussion" hit a little close to home for you with the media/promo focus. Had no clue you were so sensitive to that.

Hmmmmmm...just thinking that the Army game might be something interesting to "push"...I wonder if there are any angles with any team members or families from UNT and West Point that could be "pushed" from a human interest and sports viewpoint? Maybe a local kid playing for Army that is friends with a UNT player/family with some interesting story-line. But, not being the crack media/promo guy that you certainly are, maybe that just isn't of interest to anyone. I would guess not. If the "floundering and irrevlevant" football team itself in one of the largest media markets in the nation is not good press than maybe a human interest angle could get some attention. I don't know, but I am sure you will be more than happy to point out why this too is a bad idea.

Does that "job with a ton of crappy baggage" in college athletics extend to the Head Coach and the AD as well?

Your definition of "anger and outrage" is one bunch different than mine it seems. I am angry and outragged at no one...that does no good. Seems however, sir, that the outrage and anger is yours. You might want to check some of the tenor and tone of your posts. Sorry if the "discussion" hit a little close to home for you with the media/promo focus. Had no clue you were so sensitive to that.

Hmmmmmm...just thinking that the Army game might be something interesting to "push"...I wonder if there are any angles with any team members or families from UNT and West Point that could be "pushed" from a human interest and sports viewpoint? Maybe a local kid playing for Army that is friends with a UNT player/family with some interesting story-line. But, not being the crack media/promo guy that you certainly are, maybe that just isn't of interest to anyone. I would guess not. If the "floundering and irrevlevant" football team itself in one of the largest media markets in the nation is not good press than maybe a human interest angle could get some attention. I don't know, but I am sure you will be more than happy to point out why this too is a bad idea.

Come game week - I'll bet good money we see those stories shopped and picked up. Have you seen any Cowboys coverage breaking down whoever they play after Green Bay? Give a game week, let's track the coverage/angles taken/activities done and see where it lands. Fair?

FIU is in a large media market too - and no one gives a crap about them either unless they win, compete, hire Isaiah Thomas or fight Miami. The last real stories with national appeal I've seen out of our team ahve been the hiring of Dodge, the wacky shoot-out with Navy (offensive turnaround in general), the racism charges and the beginning of the Riley Dodge era. And all of them got what I thought was significant national attention - especially for us. I'm not trying to promote Eric Capper or champion him. I'm fairly certain that he could care less about me - and rightfully so. We have journalists or former journalists on the board - is there anyone who would have you writing a feature-type story on the Army game prior to the FIU game?

My definition of anger and outrage is only because you are so far off your usual, smiling tone of joy. I assume this is as about as angry as you get.

Oh, and to the first point, coaches and ADs - even at UNT rates - make at least 10 times most of their staff, so no, it's not really the same boat at all.

I doubt they will ever do this - the saturday of the MUTS game, the University had a thing called "UNT Preview" where they bring in students from all over to tour the University and departments.....what a perfect time to give each student tickets to the game as a culmination of their day there. A home game that they could have a general admission ticket to come watch the game and the AD could make money off the refreshments....any guess if this was done?

The AD would rather have (1) person come and buy a GA ticket for $10, then they would have (10) people come and buy a ticket for $1.

In years past they did give away free tickets to the football game for every attendee of the NT Preview. I worked NT Preview for several years, so I know this for a fact. Additionally, when I attended NT Preview, they offered free tickets. Sadly, the team wasn't any better then than they are now, so my parents and I opted not to take advantage of the offer. I remember driving away from campus and looking into the mostly empty seats on the student side. Well, at least attendance is a bit better....

In years past they did give away free tickets to the football game for every attendee of the NT Preview. I worked NT Preview for several years, so I know this for a fact. Additionally, when I attended NT Preview, they offered free tickets. Sadly, the team wasn't any better then than they are now, so my parents and I opted not to take advantage of the offer. I remember driving away from campus and looking into the mostly empty seats on the student side. Well, at least attendance is a bit better....

Not surprising. Right now, I imagine we'd have a hard time finding people to come to our games, even if we paid them $10 to attend.

Two follow-up points:

1.) I didn't mean to come across as bagging on KRAM and the exes for what they do so hard. My apologies to him and everyone else who works so hard to further the organization.

2.) Crippled dog analogies aside, a job in college athletics is not some horrible curse or point of charity. There are thousands of people who would kill for this job and the folks who have those jobs should be expected to do the best job possible. Some do and some don't - just like any business. They also got them because they were skilled and qualified. We all have the right to attack them if we're frustrated, but if you're going to attack them, at least know who you're attacking before casting a broad net.

And, I'm done.

But,

GMG