Why Can't We Win?

KingDL1

They certainly did, just not as much as in the late 90's thru '05, and more often on the alumni side than the student side. And Eppy and the Talons were doing the U-N-T spell out at the basketball games prior to '89. And I was one of only a handfull of NT fans at that Kansas State game in '89 and don't ever recall seeing them do a spell out. I do remember their mascot doing push ups for each score but not a spell out.

But once again, lets trash our past and continue to kill anything that has to do with a tradition at NT. It's what we seem to do best.

Let's change the mascot name..again.

Let's get rid of the NT Battle Flag because some clueless Knows-It-All on campus who simply doesn't like it, say's so.

Let's change the hand sign.

Let's change the logos, again.

Let's change the name of the school, again.

Let's change the school colors to Burnt orange and Blue or some other school's colors just for the sake of selling more T shirts.

Let's get rid of the tortilla's that hundreds of kids look forward to throwing and chasing every other weekend, thus making it an even easier reason for their parents to bring them.

Leave the Cannon out in the rain to rust and rot, hell someone'll come along and build another one if we need it.

Hide the only motorized 2,000 lb bell that we know of in College Sports behind the stadium during games so no one can see or hear it.

Reduce the size of the bonfire and NEVER, EVER promote it during TV commercials or in print ads.

Leave the model A out in the rain to rust and rot.

Come up with yet another set of cheers that never has a beginning or an end that no one can seem to follow. If you attended Bonfire this year you saw and heard how badly we lack in this depatment. "No.....T...as!...North!....Texas!....Nooorth!....Texa....Noo....Te........................................

This past weekend at the Junior Meang Green Club event the kids were handed "How-To" posters of the Eagle hand sign, the new one that is, not the original that existed for 20 plus years prior to Craig Helwigs' arrival in '95, to which my 8 year old asked me why we were teaching people that Eagles only have three claws on their Talons when everyone knows they have four? I nearly wept with pride even as sad as it is to realize we may never understand something even an 8 year old can figure out.

Rick

I, too, was at the Kansas St. game and they absolutely did a spell out, and we absolutely did the same spell out the very next home game, and we had not done any spell out before that in football or Basketball in 88 or 89. But, I think we actually agree about the overall theme here.

Tradition is something that is done over years and handed down to generations. Not the "Let's just run it out there and see if it sticks" that I witnessed while I was at UNT.

We have a tradition....so-called Mean Green fans complaining about every thing that goes on!!!! Other "so-called" big names school's fans also complain...long and loudly...just check out the Ohio State and OU fan boards these days...but, come game time, the stands are full. That, is a big difference between "big time" school's fan bases and UNT's. When that changes, and when FANS turn out to support the team...win, lose or draw, then UNT will have entered the "big time", and tradition will be based on fan support, donation dollars, improved team play across the board, etc., etc.

Here's an idea for a new tradition....FUL:L HOUSE AT FOUTS and the SUPER PIT for Mean Green games...how about we start that one?

Just saying.............

GO MEAN GREEN!

No, I don't want to 'copy' Tech and their tradition of throwing tortillas but all I'm saying is I had a blast doing it. Whether it was copying or not it was part of the gameday atmosphere that I enjoyed. I could care less if they did it first.

My girlfriend at the time (now wife) was not really into football. She went to the games just to spend time with me. In fact, she hates football and now that we're married I go solo. But when she was going one thing she enjoyed was throwing the tortillas. I know it seems dumb but it was fun.

I thought it was so funny when they began keeping the 'event staff' on the track to watch for throwers. We had so much fun those first couple games trying to get the even staff to blame someone else for our throwing the tortillas.

I, too, was at the Kansas St. game and they absolutely did a spell out, and we absolutely did the same spell out the very next home game, and we had not done any spell out before that in football or Basketball in 88 or 89. But, I think we actually agree about the overall theme here.

Tradition is something that is done over years and handed down to generations. Not the "Let's just run it out there and see if it sticks" that I witnessed while I was at UNT.

That's good to know. But I'll stick with the oppinion that the majority of people realize that there's always a first time for everything. We were 1-AA at the time and could have used something to get the crowd into it, I don't know? But of all the things for people to dissapprove of your the first one who I have ever heard from that seemed to have had a problem with that. I honestly believe that if we were to somehow, someway get a unified chant started that has a beginning and an end that everyone can participate in there will be someone, possibly even an employee at the university who degreed from another school who will complain about it and whose oppinion will be given merit for it.

Oh, and to add to my list above. We are the only school that I know of whose unofficial warm-up type of fight song is "Fly Like An Eagle". A very cool, Jazz/Rock song that is still heard on the radio today. But the Green Brigaid has done it's own cool version of it for years that is recognizable to everyone. Mean Green fans have heard the GB's version of that song at many of the greatest events the past 20 plus years including our trips to the NCAA's and numerous memorable football games including the great '88 Robbery in Austin. Yet every year we will get 20 people come on here and complain about it. So let's get rid of that too.

Rick

I've got an out. I wasn't an art major. The little creativity I had was spent years ago on more (or less, depending on your point of view) important ventures.

Plus, I'm a PE major. Do you really want me to come up with something?

it would be great if you came up with something, that way you would be working towards a solution and not just complaining about what the university has for its traditions.

Easy people. This is what bugs me. Love or hate whatever tradition you want, it really doesn't matter to me. I was just voicing a request for a little originality, thats all.

How about we establish a tradition that a lot of others have established, one that even I would be proud to duplicate. How about...

WINNING!!!!!

Edited by UNT90

1. You shouldn't throw things in public, especially crowded events.

2. Stealing "traditions" is lame.

3. Throwing tortilla has a racist origin (White team mocking a Hispanic team).

Such a troll

You need to get your facts straight

• Upvote 1

Oh, and to add to my list above. We are the only school that I know of whose unofficial warm-up type of fight song is "Fly Like An Eagle". A very cool, Jazz/Rock song that is still heard on the radio today.

Things started really going downhill when Steve Miller cursed us. He came to Memphis a few years ago, he played like an hour and a half. We were there in the POURING rain the whole time. He never played Fly Like an Eagle. I decided it was time to leave Memphis.

Even the Neville Brothers' version can't remove this voodoo. If Steve Miller will come play Fly Like an Eagle on campus, then things will turn around.

Are you saying that Hispanics cannot like football, or that Mexican food has no place at a football game? Ban! Ban him!

Yes please. Do we have grounds to ban him just out of dislike? I think most of us would agree to his removal being the single most important part of turning this program around.

Just kidding Daddy (sort of).