Tuesday Morning Practice Notes

MeanGreen61

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

It took UNT a while to get there, but junior college transfers Shavod Atkinson and Kelvin Jackson are now your starters at defensive tackle. UNT brought in both to bolster what was a terrible defensive front last season.

They certainly looked the part while helping UNT's defense make three stops at the 1-yard line in goal-line drills.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Actually....this is the big news I got from the article:

Does the fact that the offense was stopped on three consecutive plays from the one, while the QB was under center, mean the coaching staff will scrap this "experiment"??

I took it to mean there were 5 plays, all under center, they stopped 3, which means they scored on 2.

Actually....this is the big news I got from the article:

Does the fact that the offense was stopped on three consecutive plays from the one, while the QB was under center, mean the coaching staff will scrap this "experiment"??

we have to get there first in a real game and see

BUMP. A couple things I liked from this AM's chat:

D. Carey = the next J. Branch?

10:31 Stephen Howard:

Dee, you will be seeing some things from Carey this year. Coach Dodge told us that he feels Carey is the type of player this team has been missing for years - explosive and game changing.

10:31 Steven B:

Does Carey remind you of Jamel Branch? Only shiftier and quicker

10:33 Steven B:

break time over, back to more drills....still waiting on 11-on-11

10:33 Stephen Howard:

Yea, and he's more of a physical specimen than Branch.

2-back set?!

9:50 Steven B: anyone noticing this two-back set being worked on right now?

9:53 Stephen Howard: What did you see in that 2-back set?

9:54 Steven B: just from observing a few drills it was Riley and Tune lining up under center (they really were) and the featured back Cam or Dunbar deep with the fullback off-set....

Not sure how much we can expect to see this but none-the-less an interesting look.

10:21 [Comment From glick ]In the two back package earlier with a FB, did the FB happen to be Mosely?

10:22 Steven B: It did....But Mathis also saw some looks there. Mosley has bulked up quite a bit and could be a Michael Hickmon type guy

The only rational explanation for the sudden use of TEs, FBs and lining the QB up under center is that the coaching staff is reading this board! :P Of course, I'm kidding.

Glad to see that some tried and true, traditional elements of college football past can be incorporated into the Dodge spread offense. I think Mosley can be very effective, either blocking or running, in short-yardage situations...he's one of those guys that "falls forward" when he gets tackled.

The only rational explanation for the sudden use of TEs, FBs and lining the QB up under center is that the coaching staff is reading this board! :P Of course, I'm kidding.

Glad to see that some tried and true, traditional elements of college football past can be incorporated into the Dodge spread offense. I think Mosley can be very effective, either blocking or running, in short-yardage situations...he's one of those guys that "falls forward" when he gets tackled.

ha! I got a giggle out of the comment re: 2-back set being an "interesting look."

I thought it was "interesting" the first time I saw JJ's Run'n Shoot, a flea-flicker or Leach's Spread attack. Where are we in the grand scheme of football when a fundamental two-back set is even remotely interesting to our AD?

Edited by greenminer

The only rational explanation for the sudden use of TEs, FBs and lining the QB up under center is that the coaching staff is reading this board!

Hey, we have years of "watching" experience. We give great coaching advice after every game, just ask us what needs changing! :whip:

ha! I got a giggle out of the comment re: 2-back set being an "interesting look."

I thought it was "interesting" the first time I saw JJ's Run'n Shoot, a flea-flicker or Leach's Spread attack. Where are we in the grand scheme of football when a fundamental two-back set is even remotely interesting to our AD?

Problem is that Dodge and Company do read the board, they even mention it as motivating tools for practice.

We will fair well with a Ball State rookie Qb. If they had the kid from last season (last seasons QB), this game wouldn't even be close....

I expect us to throw dinks and dunks, throw no interceptions (because we will take absolutely NO shots at going deep or throwing deep outs). Dodge is playing this game so Riley keeps his confidence. His confidence is more important for the long haul than taking shots at winning the game by actually throwing the ball deep and taking some legitimate shots across the middle. You will see a huge completion percentage. Lots of bubbles, screens and quick stop routes... If we can't run the ball, it might be trouble.

T.D. truly reads this board and it showing in how he is treating this team, the media, and the alumni. TD longer breaks the huddle using the word "family"

(that has been scratched because it was pure bull crap). This team is way more talented in the best place possible, WR's and OL....with a heavy emphasis on OL. Our OL is going to make our program so much better this season. We finally have some experience and the big boys have really grown. OL will be the MVP's of the season.

Edited by UNT2012