Nx35; Denton's Version Of Sxsw...

Denton has always had a strong music scene, Austin light some might say, even though there have been several artist of national prominence to rise out of Denton...

I love seeing this, in the wake of the now defunct Fry St Fair this is fantastic! this town's tradition of musical independance can continue and with no thanks to the UNT music school.. That is fantiastic! Not to say anything abd about the college of music but this town has and always has had its own unique musical heritage, i am very happy to see it preserved and if I am in town I wil be at Nx35

now if I can only get them to hire the Tenacious 3.......

If this music festival takes off, I see a future where Nx35 becomes the kickoff city for SXSW. Get that stadium built and we can book the big bands that are on their way to Austin.

So, get up to Denton this weekend and see some music, hang on the square, make it a success.

Edited by UNTflyer

Denton has always had a strong music scene, Austin light some might say, even though there have been several artist of national prominence to rise out of Denton...

I love seeing this, in the wake of the now defunct Fry St Fair this is fantastic! this town's tradition of musical independance can continue and with no thanks to the UNT music school.. That is fantiastic! Not to say anything abd about the college of music but this town has and always has had its own unique musical heritage, i am very happy to see it preserved and if I am in town I wil be at Nx35

now if I can only get them to hire the Tenacious 3.......

Why do you say there's no thanks to the College of Music? UNT is named on the home page of the Nx35 web site. I may never get the apparent antipathy of many of the members of this board to our musicians; almost as if they think that a great music school detracts from desired improvements to the football program. What if it's really the opposite; that good athletes may want to come here in part because of the music, or that music majors helped to pass the stadium referendum because they thought they needed it for development as band leaders (maybe they didn't in the past) and voted for it.

As a "great music school", why has UNT not made a better effort to draw concerts to campus? About a year ago, the Foo Fighters were playing their Skin and Bones acoustic tour at college campuses.

Honestly, I think that we need the stadium/entertainment venue to make the larger concerts work, especially if good acoustics are made part of the design process. I LOVE the MPAC; went there for Dave Brubeck last week, as I mentioned elsewhere, but as wonderful as it is for an intimate concert, it's just not big enough for something that would be a large draw, as I assume the Foo Fighters would be (hey, I'm from the 60's and 70's). Perhaps the Super Pit could work, but I really doubt that they were thinking about concerts when they built that. In this area (and especially in Denton) people know music, and they know acoustics; we must please the musically knowledgeable to make it work in North Texas (and I mean the region, not only UNT).

MPAC would have been perfect for the Fighters of Foo, for this tour. It was booked in small concert and performance halls, an unplugged tour.

Hopefully the stadium and convention center will bring great music to our great music school.

My wife and I loved the MPAC; she didn't seem to notice it's design was based on the armadillo (she's not a native Texan).

I have been doing lots of reading on the nx35 and UNT is supporting the event. There are lot of write-ups, media coverage, and blogs on the event! This is great!! I really hope this continues to grow - I think with the stadium, hotel, and all the other things happening in Denton - this is a great time for the University and the community!