Gomeangreen.com Bowl Vi 2009

Most of the major items are in place for the game to move forward. Still some outstanding issues but they shouldn't pose a threat to the game.

In regards to the TBD. Please feel free to volunteer. I approached the prior captains and the timing is just not right for them this year. I'm looking at you 92. I've heard the legend of your play making ability but can it translate to the coaches box. Are you the next Bill Russell?

The majority of the post is borrowed from the posts Medpilot made in the past.

GoMeanGreen.com Bowl VI - April 11th at 4:00pm, Fouts Field.

2009 GMG Bowl Committee:

Interim Commish: Chris Carlson (Green Nightmare)

UNT Athletic Department coordinator: Nick Nagel

Shirt design: (MeanGreenDork)

Money collection and shirt handout: Mark (Kram1)

White Team Captain: TBD

Green Team Captain: TBD

Honorary Captains: TBD

Game Official: Can anyone help there?

TIMELINE

March 21th (Saturday) - Draft BIOS and game shirt sizes due. (board names only on back of shirts)

March 22th (Sunday night - 7:00) - Live draft on GMG board.

March 24th (Monday) - Shirt orders placed at 10:00am. (all approved player trades will be final at that time)

April 4th (Saturday) - North Texas Spring Football Game at Fouts Field

April 11th (Saturday) - GoMeanGreen.com Bowl VI - 4:00pm at Fouts Field.

Gameday - April 11th:

3:00 - Shirt handout and money collected

3:30 - Teams take the field for warm-up

3:50 - Coin Toss and rules discussion (Texas Stranger, honorary and Team Captains)

3:55 - Moment of silence in remembrance of Andrew Smith

4:00 - Kickoff

4:25 – Halftime

4:35 - Second half kickoff

5:00 - Game ends

5:05 - Game Trophy presented - pictures taken- Was there a trophy made for each year? If so this may be cut in the interest of time and money.

5:10 - Game MVP award

5:15 - Potential Drawing for

Game info:

Fees for game, shirt, trophy, etc...: $20-25, I’ll update this later but it will not be more than last year. Trying to balance the cost so that the max amount can get donated.

I am working with the Mavs, the Stars and some Ex NT players to get something donated to give away in the past. I've pretty much annoyed the heck out of the NT Ath Dept, so if someone wants to approach them for a school related item go right ahead.

Winning team trophy and MVP award right after game.

Pictures taken after awards will be posted on the GMG board.

Draft Rules

(Draft begins with the white-team selecting first. As in Chess, the white moves first. I do this every year...captains usually rotate, so should be fair)

1. The selections will be a normal draft, meaning each captain takes the player of their own choice. The draft will continue until there are no draft-eligible players remaining on the roster. All eligible players will be selected.

2. All players taking the field on gameday must have been drafted during the live draft. Late roster additions may be allowed, but must be approved by BOTH captains, then myself.

3. Women will be drafted first, as usual... then the guys.

4. The captains may discuss player trades at the end of the draft. Trades are allowed as long as the teams are kept relatively equal. I retain the right to reject a trade if it appears to make the teams un-even. (Has never happened in five years?) Prior years trades were all fair and all went but one.

Game rules

Most rules (such as blocking) will be discussed at the coin-toss by Texas Stranger and the captains. As most of us have played this game many times, we all have a pretty good idea of what we can and cannot do. Here are some basics for the game:

1. All questions about the actual game-play should be discussed with your captain so he may discuss it with the Ref.

Reminder - all calls and decisions made by the ref on the field are final. No questions or complaints about a call may be made directly to the official.

2. Only team captains may call the ref over for clarification of a call made on the field. The officials word is final.

3. A female player must play QB at least one series in each half. Females must be on the field at the same time. In cases of an odd number of female players, the captains will rotate accordingly to ensure everyone gets playing time.

4. The flag belts must be worn by all players at all times on the field. Should a player lose the belt while running, they remain eligible receivers but are considered "down" at the point of the catch.

RINGERS

1. Former players are certainly welcome in this game as they are also alums, and to us they are special. However, the presence of a Division-I scholarship athlete on one team can substantially affect the outcome of the game. To ensure fairness, I am enacting the "Good Sheppard-Clause". A former scholarship athlete may certainly play, but the other team must also have a ringer on the field to balance the talent level. Both ringers must be on the field at the same time, but they do not have to line up against one another. If one team has a ringer and the other team does not?, the Ringer may still play, but the team with the ringer will drop one player from the field and play a man short for that time. Anyone who played in the first GMG game, or played last year understands why this is a necessary rule. We love having our star athletes out there having fun with us, but being "poster-ized" by them over and over gets a little frustrating. This rule is for the sole purpose of fairness and team balance.

Get your BIOS in with the shirt sizes by the date listed. Thanks again to Harry for providing the site where we can all gather.

ps Please pin

Edited by Green Nightmare

Most of the major items are in place for the game to move forward. Still some outstanding issues but they shouldn't pose a threat to the game.

In regards to the TBD. Please feel free to volunteer. I approached the prior captains and the timing is just not right for them this year. I'm looking at you 92. I've heard the legend of your play making ability but can it translate to the coaches box. Are you the next Bill Russell?

The majority of the post is borrowed from the posts Medpilot made in the past.

GoMeanGreen.com Bowl VI - April 13th at 4:00pm, Fouts Field.

2009 GMG Bowl Committee:

Interim Commish: Chris Carlson (Green Nightmare)

UNT Athletic Department coordinator: Nick Nagel

Shirt design: (MeanGreenDork)

Money collection and shirt handout: TBD

White Team Captain: TBD

Green Team Captain: TBD

Honorary Captains: TBD

Game Official: I can’t seem to get a hold of Texas Stranger. Can anyone help there?

TIMELINE

March 14th (Saturday) - Draft BIOS and game shirt sizes due. (board names only on back of shirts)

March 15th (Sunday night - 7:00) - Live draft on GMG board.

March 17th (Monday) - Shirt orders placed at 10:00am. (all approved player trades will be final at that time)

April 4th (Saturday) - North Texas Spring Football Game at Fouts Field

April 11th (Saturday) - GoMeanGreen.com Bowl VI - 4:00pm at Fouts Field.

Gameday - April 13th:

3:00 - Shirt handout and money collected

3:30 - Teams take the field for warm-up

3:50 - Coin Toss and rules discussion (Texas Stranger, honorary and Team Captains)

3:55 - Moment of silence in remembrance of Andrew Smith

4:00 - Kickoff

4:25 – Halftime

4:35 - Second half kickoff

5:00 - Game ends

5:05 - Game Trophy presented - pictures taken- Was there a trophy made for each year? If so this may be cut in the interest of time and money.

5:10 - Game MVP award

5:15 - drawing for Andrew Smith framed picture

Game info:

Fees for game, shirt, trophy, etc...: $20-25, I’ll update this later but it will not be more than last year. Trying to balance the cost so that the max amount can get donated.

I am working with the Mavs, the Stars and some Ex NT players to get something donated to give away in the past. I've pretty much annoyed the heck out of the NT Ath Dept, so if someone wants to approach them for a school related item go right ahead.

Winning team trophy and MVP award right after game.

Pictures taken after awards will be posted on the GMG board.

Draft Rules

(Draft begins with the white-team selecting first. As in Chess, the white moves first. I do this every year...captains usually rotate, so should be fair)

1. The selections will be a normal draft, meaning each captain takes the player of their own choice. The draft will continue until there are no draft-eligible players remaining on the roster. All eligible players will be selected.

2. All players taking the field on gameday must have been drafted during the live draft. Late roster additions may be allowed, but must be approved by BOTH captains, then myself.

3. Women will be drafted first, as usual... then the guys.

4. The captains may discuss player trades at the end of the draft. Trades are allowed as long as the teams are kept relatively equal. I retain the right to reject a trade if it appears to make the teams un-even. (Has never happened in five years?) Prior years trades were all fair and all went but one.

Game rules

Most rules (such as blocking) will be discussed at the coin-toss by Texas Stranger and the captains. As most of us have played this game many times, we all have a pretty good idea of what we can and cannot do. Here are some basics for the game:

1. All questions about the actual game-play should be discussed with your captain so he may discuss it with the Ref.

Reminder - all calls and decisions made by the ref on the field are final. No questions or complaints about a call may be made directly to the official.

2. Only team captains may call the ref over for clarification of a call made on the field. The officials word is final.

3. A female player must play QB at least one series in each half. Females must be on the field at the same time. In cases of an odd number of female players, the captains will rotate accordingly to ensure everyone gets playing time.

4. The flag belts must be worn by all players at all times on the field. Should a player lose the belt while running, they remain eligible receivers but are considered "down" at the point of the catch.

RINGERS

1. Former players are certainly welcome in this game as they are also alums, and to us they are special. However, the presence of a Division-I scholarship athlete on one team can substantially affect the outcome of the game. To ensure fairness, I am enacting the "Good Sheppard-Clause". A former scholarship athlete may certainly play, but the other team must also have a ringer on the field to balance the talent level. Both ringers must be on the field at the same time, but they do not have to line up against one another. If one team has a ringer and the other team does not?, the Ringer may still play, but the team with the ringer will drop one player from the field and play a man short for that time. Anyone who played in the first GMG game, or played last year understands why this is a necessary rule. We love having our star athletes out there having fun with us, but being "poster-ized" by them over and over gets a little frustrating. This rule is for the sole purpose of fairness and team balance.

Get your BIOS in with the shirt sizes by the date listed. Thanks again to Harry for providing the site where we can all gather.

ps Please pin

I am a bit confused is the game the 11th or 13th.

Is the Athletic Department hesitant in donating some items? Also, what do you need in the way of volunteer help? What about just a donation, where does that need to be sent?

Is the Athletic Department hesitant in donating some items? Also, what do you need in the way of volunteer help? What about just a donation, where does that need to be sent?

Not at all. I hope it didn't read like that. I haven't approached them regarding any donation of items. It was a process just to find one open weekend so I didn't want to bog them down just yet for a donation.

Also if anyone has more of a connection to the department go ahead and approach them. This is a group effort.

Regarding Volunteer help, I need 2 captains, someone to track down TX Stranger to ref or a ref if we can't.

Also if someone wants to manage the shirt handing out and money collection day of the game, that would be welcome.

I am trying to see if we can get someone to donate some food/drink for the post game, any one knows someone let me know.

I put a donate button in my signature if people want to do it by Paypal. I'll figure out a way to post how much we've raised

Edited by Green Nightmare

Apologies for not updating earlier, but my internet access has ben very limited for the past few months.

I am coming back to the US this week from yet another tour in Afghanistan. I will be at Ft Hood for another couple of months, and I do not know yet if I can get up there for the GMG Bowl.

So, it's best not to plan on me for this year. My first guess would be to get refs from Intramurals. (I HIGHLY recommend more than 1). Upside is that they have experience in the different/unusual rules of flag, etc. Downside is that you would likely have to pay them. Additional upside for Emmitt is that maybe this will break The Jinx.

Besides, if I was able to make it I'd rather (attempt to) play. I'm bigger than FFR and faster than Pierow. Judging from what I've seen the past few years, I'd probably be "average". If someone wanted to draft me, make it after the 10th round due to uncertainty of making it that day.

Apologies for not updating earlier, but my internet access has ben very limited for the past few months.

I am coming back to the US this week from yet another tour in Afghanistan. I will be at Ft Hood for another couple of months, and I do not know yet if I can get up there for the GMG Bowl.

So, it's best not to plan on me for this year. My first guess would be to get refs from Intramurals. (I HIGHLY recommend more than 1). Upside is that they have experience in the different/unusual rules of flag, etc. Downside is that you would likely have to pay them. Additional upside for Emmitt is that maybe this will break The Jinx.

Besides, if I was able to make it I'd rather (attempt to) play. I'm bigger than FFR and faster than Pierow. Judging from what I've seen the past few years, I'd probably be "average". If someone wanted to draft me, make it after the 10th round due to uncertainty of making it that day.

Thanks for getting back to us and glad to hear you are on your way home. We'll add you to the draft. Also PM with who you might reccomend. Maybe we can twist their arm since its for charity

• 2 weeks later...