Amber Jackson Suspension

I guess there is no interest in WBB on this board, or there would have least been a mention of Amber Jackson's suspension. She was suspended for the Denver game and apparently a decision has not been made/announced if she will play in the tournament. Like all of Stephens' many suspensions this year, there have been no details released. What kind of transgression causes a coach to suspend one of the best players in NT history this late in the season in her senior year? Hopefully she will be reinstated for the tournament and this will be all forgotten, but it will be a real shame if Amber's whole career is permanently blemished by this incident. Maybe Stephens had more than enough reason to take the actions, but lets just say that her high number of suspensions should at least raise some questions. I think part of the team's overall poor record this year is due to a constantly fluctuating lineup due to suspensions.

I do realize that Stephens has none of her own recruits eligible this year and is she is trying to change the team culture. Discipline is great, but most coaches seem to achieve this without the constant disruption of the team. I do believe that Stephens will be a very successful coach but she has had a rocky first year.

I guess there is no interest in WBB on this board, or there would have least been a mention of Amber Jackson's suspension. She was suspended for the Denver game and apparently a decision has not been made/announced if she will play in the tournament. Like all of Stephens' many suspensions this year, there have been no details released. What kind of transgression causes a coach to suspend one of the best players in NT history this late in the season in her senior year? Hopefully she will be reinstated for the tournament and this will be all forgotten, but it will be a real shame if Amber's whole career is permanently blemished by this incident. Maybe Stephens had more than enough reason to take the actions, but lets just say that her high number of suspensions should at least raise some questions. I think part of the team's overall poor record this year is due to a constantly fluctuating lineup due to suspensions.

I do realize that Stephens has none of her own recruits eligible this year and is she is trying to change the team culture. Discipline is great, but most coaches seem to achieve this without the constant disruption of the team. I do believe that Stephens will be a very successful coach but she has had a rocky first year.

Unless Amber Jackson straight up did something completely horrible, she shouldn't be suspended for this game. I think Coach Stephens is making a huge mistake. The girls team MAYBE had a 1% chance of beating ASU with Jackson in the lineup. Take out Amber's 17 points and 9 rebounds per game and there's NO chance. It seemed like the Denver girls just manhandled the Mean Green last weekend without Jackson. In my opinion, a 10-19 record, is just unacceptable, given the talent of Jo Hall, Amber Jackson, Brittany James, Trisha Lee and Yari Escalera.

I'm fine with it. Coach Stephens set up rules to be followed and if a player can't follow those rules they must suffer the consequences. I like the fact that she is not worried about suspending her top player for a conference game. You break a rule you know what happens. Good for you Coach Stephens.

Would it still be fine if it was Johnny Jones suspending Eric Tramiel or Adam McCoy for a key game this late in the season?

It's easier to approve of Coach Stephens' decision because of the tragedy we call women's basketball. There's not much on the line.

I understand that Collin Dennis was suspended for a game or so this season, but he's been an inconsistent player with little to no offensive production.

A better example is what FAU coach Mike Jarvis did ealrier this season to Paul Graham III...he broke team rules so he's not playing...it sends that plain and simple message to the entire team, especially the young kids who Jarvis...or in our case Stephens...is attempting to build the program around.

I know Amber and think she is a great person...and I truly feel sorry that she is going to miss what is probably her last college game...but if the rules were clearly layed out, which based on the fact that this is not the first round of suspensions for the women this season, then I stand by coach's choice and hope the other girls can rally together and win with or without Amber.

I'm fine with it. Coach Stephens set up rules to be followed and if a player can't follow those rules they must suffer the consequences. I like the fact that she is not worried about suspending her top player for a conference game. You break a rule you know what happens. Good for you Coach Stephens.

I'm not sure how you are fine with it, unless you know a lot more than the masses. What are the rules or they reasonable? She apparently ran off arguably the most heralded of Slinker's freshmen recruits before the season even started. A 6'2 player who was also the state high jump champion. Hall missed a great deal of the season on suspension, Escalera has had multiple suspensions, Bailey and other have also be suspended. Now Jackson, who by the way was also suspended before the season, has now been suspended for the last two games of her career. Jackson an almost sure NT hall of fame player before this incident, who not only is the best player by far on this team but also the best student. Yes, you are correct she should be treated like any other player that does not adhere to the rules. The question then becomes why does this inexperienced coach feel it necessary to have so many suspensions. Most coaches even new ones are able to get enough respect through communications and leadership without having multiple decipline issues. If this was limited to one or two difficult players or earlier in the season than I would be able to better understand the need for these actions.

Yes I am sure if JJ suspended Tremiel for the tournament there would be no concern among the fan base. Amber is a senior first team all conference player, who is in her fifth year at NT, who has been lauded many times for her effort and character. Who has her career ended under a cloud. From a fan's perspective, one that actually has season tickets, it appears that Stephens was more than willing to throw away the season to establish her program. If she is successful, all will be forgotten by the majority, but this has to make you wonder if RV made the right choice when much more established candidates were available. I still think Stephens will ultimately be successful but IMO she has made a mess of her first year.

I believe that Coach Stephens has posted a better record in her first season at UNT than her male counterpart or the vaunted gridiron revenue coach. I doubt she would make a rash decision and suspend someone on baseless charges at this point in the season.

Lets keep the shots at Dodge confined to the HOF board please.

I believe that Coach Stephens has posted a better record in her first season at UNT than her male counterpart or the vaunted gridiron revenue coach. I doubt she would make a rash decision and suspend someone on baseless charges at this point in the season.

I guess you are factoring in, that she had four starters returning and that NT was picked high in the pre-season polls. Also I think you may want to check on your comment about her having a better record than her male counterpart in his first suspension free first season. Likewise, I hope Dodge's first two years are not a standard for anything. I don't recall anyone saying her actions were rash or baseless. I am sure that there was rationale to the action. Again, the question is why a first year coach would want to paint herself into a corner and end up suspending anyone right before tournament. Maybe you have seen other coaches that have had to resort to continual suspensions to instil decipline, I have not. In case, you are new, I can assure you that Slinker did not recruit a bunch of problem players.