10 Reasons To Oppose Stimulus Package

But he's the president and he's ours to support!!!!

Obama's forgotten more about politics than you know! What political experience do you have to question him? When it comes to politics, I'm going to trust the guys in the Oval Office every time!

It amazes me that after all this time, people still don't get you.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me that after all this time, people still don't get you.

I just think we need to be positive here - you should try it. It's amazing what it does for your outlook, disposition and quality of life! If Obama fails down the road, I'll be happy to eat crow, but I think we just need to give him a few more years!

I just think we need to be positive here - you should try it. It's amazing what it does for your outlook, disposition and quality of life! If Obama fails down the road, I'll be happy to eat crow, but I think we just need to give him a few more years!

How about at least a month. It's going to take some time to fix what the previos adminstration took 8 years to F-up.

LOL! No, stop! Seriously. The postal service and military were considered critical functions of government, they were not created because they were deemed unprofitable. And in no way did the founders see government as a system to provide unprofitable services.

I think you may need to go back and read some of the writings of the Founding Fathers. Here are a few suggestions:

Oh how very cute of you. I'm well aware of the reading materials you suggested, and in case I haven't mentioned already my father is a 20 year teacher of American and Texas History, and I knew more about the subject at age 7 than you do now. And thanks for the Smith suggestion, but I'm more of a Keynesian.

How about at least a month. It's going to take some time to fix what the previos adminstration took 8 years to F-up.

Some of our problems have been festering for far more then 8 years. People have been managing to live above their means by leveraging debt for more than a decade now. Because of that, we have far too many retail stores, so to correct that, some must close. Some people have been saving a small fraction of their money (The past couple years has hovered around 1%), depending more on the increasing value of their homes as a savings vehicle.

Those two things have absolutely nothing to do with who is leading our country. The above consumer mindset must change and there will be pain due this change.

Edited by UNTFan23

Those two things have absolutely nothing to do with who is leading our country. The above consumer mindset must change and there will be pain due this change.

You're exactly right. This "buy-buy-buy" mentality has to change, and like many things that exist on a level like this, crap has to hit the fan before people change their lifestyles. I know we all want the American dream over here, but I don't believe that it also consisted of massive amounts of consumer debt with horrific interest rates.

Also:

I read somewhere that the STIMPACK (+10 if you get the reference here) is being trimmed down bigtime. Which, I'm all about that sort of thing. The STIMPACK needs to be JUST economic stimulus projects. Not other things that are in some way unrelated. Don't get me wrong, we do need to look into space research, fund the EPA more, and get more money for historic preservation. However, that's not what we're working on right now. And with the STIMPACK documents being hundreds of pages in length, cutting more excess items out means more time can be spent looking over the real items that are part of the real package.

The other spending bills (education, sciences, environmental protection, the new USCG ice-breakers [only 2 are in service now, and those are around 40 years old],etc) need to be looked at individually. Lots of crap goes through Congress by riding coattails of other things and this a good start on cutting that down.

Edited by meangreendork

Oh how very cute of you. I'm well aware of the reading materials you suggested, and in case I haven't mentioned already my father is a 20 year teacher of American and Texas History, and I knew more about the subject at age 7 than you do now. And thanks for the Smith suggestion, but I'm more of a Keynesian.

The "I know more than you do" argument. Classic.

Look - do you think Colin Powell, an experienced general, leader and politic player, would have endorsed Obama if he was as bad as you guys say? What about Bill Ruckelshaus, Linwood Holton, Jim Leach, William F. buckley's son or Lincoln Chafee? Those guys know a little something about politics and I am going to trust their judgment here. I hope you guys do the same - a positive outlook can transform your day!

Look - do you think Colin Powell, an experienced general, leader and politic player, would have endorsed Obama if he was as bad as you guys say? What about Bill Ruckelshaus, Linwood Holton, Jim Leach, William F. buckley's son or Lincoln Chafee? Those guys know a little something about politics and I am going to trust their judgment here. I hope you guys do the same - a positive outlook can transform your day!

Powell endorsed Obama because he got his feelings hurt when he didn't get selected as McCains VP candidate.

I'm fairly certain that Powell has expressed that he had no interest in returning to the political arena after his Secretary of State stint. Do you have evidence that suggests he wanted to be McCain's VP?

Just more unsubstantiated rumors! Get behind Obama and please stop this bickering!

Just more unsubstantiated rumors! Get behind Obama and please stop this bickering!

I just can't get behind Obama until I see some results with his new-fangled initiatives and programs. Sure, there is evidence of them working elsewhere in the world...but we're USA and it's unfair to compare us to other countries. Say what you want about Bush's traditionalist approach to running the country, but he kept us safe while providing us with a few, good lasting memories.

His legacy may be tarnished by basically taking off the last two years of his administration...but it was Obama's choice to decide not to use what Bush left in his Cabinent and try and restock on his own...it certainly wasn't bare when he took over. Results are the only thing that can now legitimize an Obama administration...I can't just rely on "Hope"

Results are the only thing that can now legitimize an Obama administration...I can't just rely on "Hope"

That's the same as it is with any administration. I hoped Bush wouldn't do a lot of what he did, or in many cases, didn't do, but that didn't go anywhere. Mind you, I voted for Obama and I want this guy to make the country better since he has the power to do so, but if he fails I'll be casting votes for someone else in 2012. If the bloody GOP can center itself and not have some religious fear-toting whackjob running for Pres/VP, they may have my vote. Maybe if they stop throwing stones at their own party members and others and start working to actually fix crap, I may vote that way again.

I just can't get behind Obama until I see some results with his new-fangled initiatives and programs. Sure, there is evidence of them working elsewhere in the world...but we're USA and it's unfair to compare us to other countries. Say what you want about Bush's traditionalist approach to running the country, but he kept us safe while providing us with a few, good lasting memories.

His legacy may be tarnished by basically taking off the last two years of his administration...but it was Obama's choice to decide not to use what Bush left in his Cabinent and try and restock on his own...it certainly wasn't bare when he took over. Results are the only thing that can now legitimize an Obama administration...I can't just rely on "Hope"

Predict failure all you want.

It'll just be that much sweeter when the economy starts turning around. Results are coming!

Predict failure all you want.

It'll just be that much sweeter when the economy starts turning around. Results are coming!

Those results begin with DC school districts following the lead of Chicago and staying open on snow days. Obama will see to it that DC snow plows will take the offensive on stormy days and spread their alignment across the city.

I'm fairly certain that Powell has expressed that he had no interest in returning to the political arena after his Secretary of State stint. Do you have evidence that suggests he wanted to be McCain's VP?

yeah, he told me that when we were playing golf. Actually, if people only posted on topics that they had "evidence or proof", this would be a bare ass board.

yeah, he told me that when we were playing golf. Actually, if people only posted on topics that they had "evidence or proof", this would be a bare ass board.

Some of us have sources inside the White House that we have to protect. I don't want to "out" them, but trust me - good things are in store here!

Some of us have sources inside the White House that we have to protect. I don't want to "out" them, but trust me - good things are in store here!

I have it on good authority that groundbreaking for the new White House will begin this summer and be open for the first campaign speech of 2011. It's just plain embarrassing to have a house that's 200 years old when our allies are working out of such new, shiny digs.

Well I have a source close to Obama that says he's considering naming Malia Ann Obama as the new Secretary of the Treasury. I think this would be disasterous...considering her size and age and lack of experience. Sure...she'd be a good fit in Agriculture...but Treasury? In this time of economic crisis? Scetchy move.