Arkansas State (1/9/09)

CMJ

I am glad that everyone is there, but whats the point of coming to a game and not cheering ?

We have the exact same problems at MT.

Me personally, as I get older I stand and cheer less. I yelled like a madman when I was in school, but now it's time for others.

I suspect in another 10-15 years I'll do much less than I do now.

One of these days we'll all be a "blue hair" I reckon'.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, this thread is something else...first, my wife and I are season ticket holders and we WERE at the game...NO, we did not stand a yell a bunch...gee, so sorry that we support the MEAN GREEN with our money and our attendance! Perhaps, like the vast majorirty of students, we should just not buy the tickets and stay home! GIVE US A BREAK! I have been buying tickets and coming to UNT games since the mid-1960's...when some of you guys who tell me to "just stay home" can say the same thing, I'll listen...get the students out and I'll listen! Foe a school fo UNT's size, the student turnout is HORRIBLE! Even if school is "out", the vast majority are well withing an hor's drive of UNT. Where were they????? You folks are something else....many of the folks who you "beat on" for not standing and yelling through out the games are the ones who are providing the vast majorirty of the support dollars and are they ones who drive or fly to many of the away games! Most students cannot even be botherd enough to drive 30 min. to Denton during beak to support the team! You folks are really something!

Now, as to the game...GREAT to see the win...but IT WAS NOT A WELL PLAYED GAME AT ALL!!!!! Still the same old problems...cannot get the ball inbounds, have problems with any defensive pressure, cannot get it in to the post, and for DARN SURE...cannot hit a free throw! If even half of the free throws during regulation were made, there would have been no need for 3 OT's! GOOD GRIEF...I read an article, I think from the Mavericks coach, recently where it was said something to the effect of...yep, he missed a couple of free throws tonight, but I am not worried...he's the kind of player that when that happens he will stay after practice and shoot 2000 free throws! My guess, the UNT team doesn't even shoot 2 free throws for practice. This is not good and will really hurt down the stretch if UNT can't get this figured out...

Oh, yes, we'll be at the games both Thursday and Saturday this week...sure hope it OK with you guys that we take up a seat or two that we HAVE PAID FOR if we don't stand and yell the entire game. We are sorry that we "offend" your sense of "right and wrong" behavior for games.

Will I need one hand, two or both hands and feet to count the number of students who turn out for the games? Disclaimer...this comment is not made towrd the loyal members of the PIT CREW who have my thanks and appreciation for the "racket" they are making this season...you folks are great...too bad that more of you couldn't make it to the games during the break.

GO MEAN GREEN!

From what I understand every practice ends with free throw shooting. And, though we did shoot poorly from the line in the ASU game - we had acouple of road games where we shot nearly 90% from the stripe. It seems we have alot of games where we shoot great and some where we shoot poorly, but we are basically about a 70% FT shooting team.

In fact...I just checked the official NCAA stats and we are shooting 70% for the season which is 125th out of 330 schools tracked. That's what....top 40% in the country.

Man, this thread is something else...first, my wife and I are season ticket holders and we WERE at the game...NO, we did not stand a yell a bunch...gee, so sorry that we support the MEAN GREEN with our money and our attendance! Perhaps, like the vast majorirty of students, we should just not buy the tickets and stay home! GIVE US A BREAK! I have been buying tickets and coming to UNT games since the mid-1960's...when some of you guys who tell me to "just stay home" can say the same thing, I'll listen...get the students out and I'll listen! Foe a school fo UNT's size, the student turnout is HORRIBLE! Even if school is "out", the vast majority are well withing an hor's drive of UNT. Where were they????? You folks are something else....many of the folks who you "beat on" for not standing and yelling through out the games are the ones who are providing the vast majorirty of the support dollars and are they ones who drive or fly to many of the away games! Most students cannot even be botherd enough to drive 30 min. to Denton during beak to support the team! You folks are really something!

Now, as to the game...GREAT to see the win...but IT WAS NOT A WELL PLAYED GAME AT ALL!!!!! Still the same old problems...cannot get the ball inbounds, have problems with any defensive pressure, cannot get it in to the post, and for DARN SURE...cannot hit a free throw! If even half of the free throws during regulation were made, there would have been no need for 3 OT's! GOOD GRIEF...I read an article, I think from the Mavericks coach, recently where it was said something to the effect of...yep, he missed a couple of free throws tonight, but I am not worried...he's the kind of player that when that happens he will stay after practice and shoot 2000 free throws! My guess, the UNT team doesn't even shoot 2 free throws for practice. This is not good and will really hurt down the stretch if UNT can't get this figured out...

Oh, yes, we'll be at the games both Thursday and Saturday this week...sure hope it OK with you guys that we take up a seat or two that we HAVE PAID FOR if we don't stand and yell the entire game. We are sorry that we "offend" your sense of "right and wrong" behavior for games.

Will I need one hand, two or both hands and feet to count the number of students who turn out for the games? Disclaimer...this comment is not made towrd the loyal members of the PIT CREW who have my thanks and appreciation for the "racket" they are making this season...you folks are great...too bad that more of you couldn't make it to the games during the break.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I like the cut of your jib KRAM!

It seems my post aggravated a few people. Obviously, we are not at a point where we can be picky about the fan support. I am very happy for each and every fan that turns out. Nonetheless, I cannot help but notice how quiet the Super Pit was this game.... I always thought people paid for tickets so that they could cheer on their favorite team.....apparently many of the season ticket holders prefer to sit quiet and motionless during the game... whatever, I'll take a butt in the seat over no butt at all. But the fact still stands... with the exception of the last minute of the game, we have a fairly dead crowd. And KRAM, I agree with you about the student turn out. I suspect many of them could easily make a game on the holidays....

well being a loyal, LOUD and fat member of the Pit Crew...i can say that the few of us that are thier really try to make it hell for the opponents, but living in a dorm and working for housing i feel that the university does almost no marking of these games to the students when there ON campus, and most of them dont come, so why would you expect them to come when school is out and even the hardcores like me cant make it, granted i got to see the 2nd and 3rd OT's live in person after work...the UNIVERISTY needs to step up its marketing...the game against Sam Houston State they offered free shirts and a buzz was around campus, the student section was almost full, almsot as full as the Okie State game last year, i wish they would do it again. but i have to say, every year were getting a Better and Better student turnout!

but i have to say, every year were getting a Better and Better student turnout!

That is very true! I have been impressed over the last couple seasons at how the pit crew has grown and gotten louder. Good job!

I have watched a couple Duke and NC games and while it appeared the students stood the whole game most of the other fans were seated. In emotional moments and the last couple minutes of the game the crowds would stand. That doesn't seem much different than games at the pit. The Duke and NC games are louder probably because 1) larger student turn out with a tradition to be loud, and 2) larger attendance so there are more lazy :) fans that are seated and cheering.