Unt's Next Head Coach Has To Be Black

MeanGreenZen

Let's see, here's the "young men who have yet to set foot on the field" and how many games they set foot on the field:

Adryan Adams/8

Brandon Akpunku/9

DeWaylon Cook/11

Riley Dodge/3

Lance Dunbar/5

Kylie Hill/12

Darien Williams/12

Coleman Feeley/7

Troy Franklin/6

James Hamilton/11

Royce Hill/12

Jeremy Knott/12

John Shorter/12

Willie Taylor/1

So, of the 26 players that we signed (and I'm not counting Gabe Hollivay or Nate Jenkins) 14 of them played...11 more than half the season. I sure can't wait until Todd Dodge can get "his" players in here.

And can we please make up our minds ladies and gentlemen. Are we the youngest team in the country (in which case I wonder why upper classmen saw so much of the bench) or are our youngsters not setting foot on the field (which is patently untrue)? Which excuse do we want to give Dodge? Let's pick one and run with it shall we?

Sit down and be PATIENT! They will all take the magic pill after next year (cause they can't have it till after their Soph year), and then things will magically be better. And don't you dare question coaching!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing the new head coach needs to be is experienced at the collegiate level or higher. It doesn't matter what color he is. Go back and look over the "New Coach" threads and you'll see suggestions for white and black coaches. As if it matters. It only matters to people who are insecure in their own skin, I suppose.

Also, the new AD needs to have a legitimate background in finance and fundraising.

Imagine you are a movie producer and you want to make an action movie. The movie is going straight to DVD so you can only pay the star of the movie $175,000. And the movie isn't artistic enough to get a major star to do it for a discount. That rules out Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, etc.

However, Kirk Cameron is willing to do the movie for what you can offer. He was great on Growing Pains and he's stayed in front of the camera convincing people they are going to hell if they don't join his church.

Let us also imagine, that for whatever reason, black actors are having trouble landing leading roles and Will Smith would also be willing to star in our movie for the same money as Kirk Cameron. Would you cast Kirk Cameron or Will Smith to star in your action movie?

This is what is going on in college football with black head coaches! Schools are hiring B-list clowns like Kirk Cameron while guys like Will Smith are available.

Yes, I just found a way to reference Kirk Cameron on the topic of UNT's next head coach. I challenge anyone to beat that!

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

Yes, I just found a way to reference Kirk Cameron on the topic of UNT's next head coach. I challenge anyone to beat that!

There is no way to top that. You are correct, we need to hire a black head coach. The Kirk Cameron reference made the difference. You are brilliant! ;)

The only thing the new head coach needs to be is experienced at the collegiate level or higher. It doesn't matter what color he is. Go back and look over the "New Coach" threads and you'll see suggestions for white and black coaches. As if it matters. It only matters to people who are insecure in their own skin, I suppose.

Also, the new AD needs to have a legitimate background in finance and fundraising.

Thank you

If we are even lucky to get a new AD, a truly legitimate background in fundraising is so very crucial for what we want to accomplish here at UNT. RV was the district manager of several Domino's Pizza joints in the Southeast, can we please strive for a better background than that for an Athletic Director.

The RV hire has been a major bust in the finance and fundraising department. Dickey did a better job finding donors than he did and it seems that even Dodge has to take on the job of fining donors for his own football program.

Holy crap, are you freaking serious? You think we need to hire someone based on their race? I cant believe this thread hasnt been erased or locked, but good LORD! So by your definition, we should hire only black basketball coashes becuase a majority of the NBA is black, we should only hire Latino Baseball coaches because because baseball is large in the Latino popluation. We cant hire a male to coach a female sports team because women will coach better.

So tell me, please, how it is permissible to hire someone based on any other criteria other than their qualifications? Charles DUI Barkley would be proud of you. Civil Rights and equality be dammed!!!

First of all I don't agree that the next coach "has to be black". If mginsurance is correct in his theories that there is an untapped market of black coaches, I don't understand why there is so much resistance to at least pursuing a quality coach that may be more affordable than a white coach of equal qualifications. It sounds like a pretty good place to start looking if dodge does not improve this team next season. Obviously, if a (insert race here) coach with better qualifications and an equal price comes along, then that person should be considered.

Um, I think the only "resistance" is that the next coach must be any certain race. I think the general consensus is that we hire the most qualified candidate. Well, except for MGInsurance.

BTW, so if I was looking for insurance, would I get the same deal as a black customer?

Ultimately a hire needs to be based on potential and qualifications. If everything is equal to a white and black candidate then I think hiring the black coach may be more beneficial recruiting wise. I think a lot of players will be able to identify with a black coach versus a white coach in our particular situation especially compared to the likes of Dodge. I didn't think this thread was useless but really a good discussion as I can see the advantages of getting in a black coach or any minority coach versus a white coach.

Edited by Green Mean

If we really want to make a splash in the College Football World our next HC should be a eskimoan midget who is jewish :w00t:

We don't even need an eskimoan midget. If we just get a midget/dwarf (regardless of race) then we would have the number one rated midget head coach... Screw the 8th or 9th black head coach. let's be number 1!

Thank you

If we are even lucky to get a new AD, a truly legitimate background in fundraising is so very crucial for what we want to accomplish here at UNT. RV was the district manager of several Domino's Pizza joints in the Southeast, can we please strive for a better background than that for an Athletic Director.

The RV hire has been a major bust in the finance and fundraising department. Dickey did a better job finding donors than he did and it seems that even Dodge has to take on the job of fining donors for his own football program.

What #'s do you have to back this up? RV was an associate AD at Southern Miss and TCU before coming here. He also worked at LSU as a coach. As for being a district manager at Domino's, he owned the franchises.

A MAJOR finance bust? RV has had a million dollar donor just like Dickey, and donations actually increased when Dodge was hired. Dickey found one donor, and we had to pimp ourselves to him. RV got us a pretty good basketball coach in Johnny Jones, our soccer has program has done well, we have a new womens' basketball coach, Mean Green Village, and quite a few other upgrades. Our womens' softball program is competitive. And as for as I am concerned, we would not have got to this point with the new stadium without him. Was he as visible for the student vote as many would have liked, probably not. However, there is always room for improvement in everything. RV has done more for UNT athletics than anybody before him, period.

As 90 and a few others have said, if you don't aspire to be better, then you won't. And I agree with them, we should aspire to be better. However, there is the fact that this alumnae, for the most part, just don't give a damn about donating to the athletic program. Ask FFR about the telethon calls to the alumnae. Lunches before the season at various locations in the metroplex became a joke. 70000 alumnae and less than 20 show up. So, 69,980 of them were busy? Check out a similar lunch for the UT Exes or the Sooners Club in DFW. You need to quit pointing the finger at RV, and the head football coaches, and turn your ire toward your buddies that you attended UNT with and who don't come here for games nor donate money, or support their school in any way. That sir, is the problem.

What #'s do you have to back this up? RV was an associate AD at Southern Miss and TCU before coming here. He also worked at LSU as a coach. As for being a district manager at Domino's, he owned the franchises.

A MAJOR finance bust? RV has had a million dollar donor just like Dickey, and donations actually increased when Dodge was hired. Dickey found one donor, and we had to pimp ourselves to him. RV got us a pretty good basketball coach in Johnny Jones, our soccer has program has done well, we have a new womens' basketball coach, Mean Green Village, and quite a few other upgrades. Our womens' softball program is competitive. And as for as I am concerned, we would not have got to this point with the new stadium without him. Was he as visible for the student vote as many would have liked, probably not. However, there is always room for improvement in everything. RV has done more for UNT athletics than anybody before him, period.

As 90 and a few others have said, if you don't aspire to be better, then you won't. And I agree with them, we should aspire to be better. However, there is the fact that this alumnae, for the most part, just don't give a damn about donating to the athletic program. Ask FFR about the telethon calls to the alumnae. Lunches before the season at various locations in the metroplex became a joke. 70000 alumnae and less than 20 show up. So, 69,980 of them were busy? Check out a similar lunch for the UT Exes or the Sooners Club in DFW. You need to quit pointing the finger at RV, and the head football coaches, and turn your ire toward your buddies that you attended UNT with and who don't come here for games nor donate money, or support their school in any way. That sir, is the problem.

Yes, but these people are not just going to show up out of the blue and give you time and money. Like I said before, even though I was a member of the NT Exes, I never received one call from the AD department requesting monetary support. Even though you don't have a successful program to sell, you do have a new stadium and great gameday atmosphere to sell. A lot of my college friends had no idea that there was a tailgaiting scene or activities for the kids pre-game. You can't expect these people to magically figure this out without ANY publicity.

Things are changing slowly. I work DT FW and I see at least 9 or 10 UNT shirts a week. This is up from 0 that I saw about 5 years ago. RV has initiated a lot of programs to get students connected to UNT while they are there, which will be beneficial in the future, but you still have to solicite them. No one will just show up at your door and give you money.

Edited by UNT90

Let's see, here's the "young men who have yet to set foot on the field" and how many games they set foot on the field:

Adryan Adams/8

Brandon Akpunku/9

DeWaylon Cook/11

Riley Dodge/3

Lance Dunbar/5

Kylie Hill/12

Darien Williams/12

Coleman Feeley/7

Troy Franklin/6

James Hamilton/11

Royce Hill/12

Jeremy Knott/12

John Shorter/12

Willie Taylor/1

So, of the 26 players that we signed (and I'm not counting Gabe Hollivay or Nate Jenkins) 14 of them played...11 more than half the season. I sure can't wait until Todd Dodge can get "his" players in here.

And can we please make up our minds ladies and gentlemen. Are we the youngest team in the country (in which case I wonder why upper classmen saw so much of the bench) or are our youngsters not setting foot on the field (which is patently untrue)? Which excuse do we want to give Dodge? Let's pick one and run with it shall we?

Are you arguing for arguement's sake? You know what I mean.

First off, remove the JUCO's from the equation since I was referring to freshmen. They, the JUCO's should contribute immediately.

The majority of the HS signees you list played primarily ST. Let the kid's mature and then rank the entire class. There is a reason DCTF looks back and re-ranks each class 5 years later.

I know Hill and Williams played most of the year in the secondary and that Feeley was starting by the end of the year, but they should have never been put in that position, at least in a program that has depth enough to redshirt a majority of the freshman class.

Sit down and be PATIENT! They will all take the magic pill after next year (cause they can't have it till after their Soph year), and then things will magically be better. And don't you dare question coaching!

It's not a magic pill, it is called maturity and adjustment to the collegiate game, but you and TFLF are too full of hate towards TD and RV to admit this.

Things are changing slowly. I work DT FW and I see at least 9 or 10 UNT shirts a week. This is up from 0 that I saw about 5 years ago. RV has initiated a lot of programs to get students connected to UNT while they are there, which will be beneficial in the future, but you still have to solicite them. No one will just show up at your door and give you money.

I actually think this is the way to secure donations for the future. Why waste your time on a group that never gives when you can focus on your future almuni that has shown they care about NT?

Ultimately a hire needs to be based on potential and qualifications. If everything is equal to a white and black candidate then I think hiring the black coach may be more beneficial recruiting wise. I think a lot of players will be able to identify with a black coach versus a white coach in our particular situation especially compared to the likes of Dodge. I didn't think this thread was useless but really a good discussion as I can see the advantages of getting in a black coach or any minority coach versus a white coach.

Nice post. But, most arguments for hiring a black coach assume most recruits are inner city black kids who will respond more positively to a black head coach. I don't know if this is the case. The championship 4-A school, Lake Travis, was almost completely white. Their QB, a UT signee, may have been the biggest recruiting target in the state. Lake Travis HS is not poor. When you listen to blue chip inner city black kids who get recruited by Brown, Stoops, Paterno, etc., they are most impressed that the head coach, no matter of race, comes to their neighborhood and sits in their living room. (Of course, the boosters who come along later with various perks doesn't hurt either. Maybe we should have some of those.)

There are a lot of factors in hiring a head coach. Race can be one of them. It doesn't mean our next head coach HAS to be of any particular ethnicity, but if it can help, we shouldn't ignore it. Ultimately the kids still have to be coached, and coached well.

I think our next coach should win, no matter his race.

It's not a magic pill, it is called maturity and adjustment to the collegiate game, but you and TFLF are too full of hate towards TD and RV to admit this.

Show me one post where I ever indicate any hatred toward TD. Just because I don't blindly agree with everything he is doing does not mean that I hate the guy. I hope he goes 8-4 next year and coaches here for the next 10 years. I just don't see it happening. If you take the time to read my posts, you'll see that I have great admiration for RV and what he has done for this program.

It's an old and tired argument that has been discredited by multiple examples of research that these guys will magically get better and that we are the youngest team ever in the history of forever. Talent is talent. Freshmen and Sophs play everywhere, from our conference to the Big 12.

I am just a realist when it comes to the CURRENT state of UNT football.

I actually think this is the way to secure donations for the future. Why waste your time on a group that never gives when you can focus on your future almuni that has shown they care about NT?

Still got to go after the old grads. If we start winning, they will return. Too many to simply ignore. PLus, you have to market to the recent grads also. Take nothing for granted.

Edited by UNT90

It's not a magic pill, it is called maturity and adjustment to the collegiate game....

Yes, traits which a college football coach would have already possessed. This program shouldn't be a lab for a high school coach. That it has turned into such shows how little regard the AD, Board, and President have for the supporters of the program.

Besides, Dodge himself said football is football, coaching is coaching. So, he obviously didn't think he'd need to "mature and adjust" to be successful. Again, looking back at that ridiculous press conference when he was hired, you see how smug and lost he really is at this level...as if the in-conference beatings weren't enough of an indication.