Discipline On This Team

Green Dozer

Maybe this does not make any difference to some, but before the game, a UNT police lieutenant stopped at our tailgate for a few ribs. Not knowing, I ask him if the UNT police traveled with the team on road trips for security. He said that they used to, but it stopped under Dickey. He went on to explain that when Dickey was here, there were players who were arrested 4 and 5 times. He said with the # of students on campus, in order to keep it safe, there has to be a "zero tolerance" policy. What was interesting, he said, the arrests of players was not for open containers on Fry St. The arrests were for burglary, criminal trespass, harassment of women, assault, etc. He said Dickey turned his head, and continued to let these players play. He also said that the police department had fallen out of favor with the athletic department, so officers do not travel with the team. He said there has not been any serious issue with the football players the past couple of seasons, and that Dodge does not look the other way.

Edited by Green Dozer

He also said that the police department had fallen out of favor with the athletic department, so officers do not travel with the team. He said there has not been any serious issue with the football players the past couple of seasons, and that Dodge does not look the other way.

Glad to hear it. On top of everything else, UNT doesn't need a Switzer problem.

Did you ask him how many of TD recruits had MIPs and stopped with drugs? Did he tell you what % of the current players would fail a drug test?(and the staff and AD know this as fact) What did the AD do abut any of the reported problems the same as he is doing about the current problems. TD had a problems at SLC that make the national news and still turned his head but he won.

The reality is that if they were winning I would not care about what they did off the field for the most part. In the end it is all about wins and losses. I know its sad to think like that but its a harsh reality.

UNT will never tolerate a Barry Switzer outlaw regime in Denton. There aren't boosters and alumni who can scare the administration out of blowing up a bad-behaving program.

Did you ask him how many of TD recruits had MIPs and stopped with drugs? Did he tell you what % of the current players would fail a drug test?(and the staff and AD know this as fact) What did the AD do abut any of the reported problems the same as he is doing about the current problems. TD had a problems at SLC that make the national news and still turned his head but he won.

So now the drug card? How many kids get an MIP in hs and college? Many, of course but how many don't get them but drink beer, almost all. MIP can be where one is a party with alcohol and if your there you can get an MIP for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't give any thought to MIP's. Drugs is a different deal.

What were those problems that made the national news?

Graduating high school in a very affluent community similar to Southlake....believe me there are still many many problems that go on there and that includes athletes.

I understand as I grew up in Southlake and saw it transform from a farming community to a wealthy suburb, but there are problems everywhere. My question was what made the national news other than the football team winning a bunch?

No, I didn't interrogate him. I was just making conversation, and casually talking. Yes, athletes should hold themselves to higher standard, but they are going to make mistakes. As for MIP, though not an excuse, it is college. As for another current problem or problems you may be referencing, I do not think anybody is turning their head. I do not understand why some fans feel if a player has a problem or makes a mistake, that one of the punishments should be that it be put in the media so they can crucify him. We look at wins and losses, but the guys in the pads and helmets are still human beings with a life off the field. I do not think we as fans, donors, or whatever have a right to know every little detail like that. If Dodge follows the way that Stoops and Brown handle things internally, then I agree with that. I assure you, if your child were to make a mistake, that is how you would want it handled.

Dodge and company are learning on the fly, no excuses but they are rookies in college football. The are true sophomores and nothing more. I don't think their are discipline issues just standard collegiate behavior that is across America.

MIP is like getting a moving vehicle violations these days, MIP's are a way of the times. MIP's do young people good and make them more responsible. But an MIP is hardly criminal or the whole damn North Texas student body would be guilty. MIP is not a reason to second guess a young person's character in college, give me a break.

Edited by Dodge2007

No, I didn't interrogate him. I was just making conversation, and casually talking. Yes, athletes should hold themselves to higher standard, but they are going to make mistakes. As for MIP, though not an excuse, it is college. As for another current problem or problems you may be referencing, I do not think anybody is turning their head. I do not understand why some fans feel if a player has a problem or makes a mistake, that one of the punishments should be that it be put in the media so they can crucify him. We look at wins and losses, but the guys in the pads and helmets are still human beings with a life off the field. I do not think we as fans, donors, or whatever have a right to know every little detail like that. If Dodge follows the way that Stoops and Brown handle things internally, then I agree with that. I assure you, if your child were to make a mistake, that is how you would want it handled.

I think the anger is not that it is handled internally, but that it is applied selectively.

I hate speaking in code. I don't think we will have to much longer.

Maybe this does not make any difference to some, but before the game, a UNT police lieutenant stopped at our tailgate for a few ribs. Not knowing, I ask him if the UNT police traveled with the team on road trips for security. He said that they used to, but it stopped under Dickey. He went on to explain that when Dickey was here, there were players who were arrested 4 and 5 times. He said with the # of students on campus, in order to keep it safe, there has to be a "zero tolerance" policy. What was interesting, he said, the arrests of players was not for open containers on Fry St. The arrests were for burglary, criminal trespass, harassment of women, assault, etc. He said Dickey turned his head, and continued to let these players play. He also said that the police department had fallen out of favor with the athletic department, so officers do not travel with the team. He said there has not been any serious issue with the football players the past couple of seasons, and that Dodge does not look the other way.

I heard this a couple of times before, I think few understood how derailed discipline was DD.

Dodge and company are learning on the fly, no excuses but they are rookies in college football. The are true sophomores and nothing more. I don't think their are discipline issues just standard collegiate behavior that is across America.

MIP is like getting a moving vehicle violations these days, MIP's are a way of the times. MIP's do young people good and make them more responsible. But an MIP is hardly criminal or the whole damn North Texas student body would be guilty. MIP is not a reason to second guess a young person's character in college, give me a break.

Dodge 2007, please do not take this wrong. I keep hearing that Dodge and company are learning on the fly. Last I heard, and even saw him play, there was a quarterback at the University of Texas named Todd Dodge. He has also stayed around that program since he left. He was also an assistant here at UNT, has held clinics for college staffs (i.e. Missouri) on his offense, and is a frequent speaker at coaching clinics. None of our past coaches came here with his credentials, not even Fry. So the notion that there is this huge learning curve in running a program is unfounded. Now, if had he quarterbacked at West Texas A&M or Texas Lutheran, then I could understand this point that a lot of posters make. But come on, he was the quarterback at the highest profile program in the State of Texas.

and his record was??????????

One more thing, his record at UT makes no difference in this case. My point is he still has been, win lose or tie, involved with a MAJOR college football program. So, he knew what he was getting into, and should have the experience to handle it. Your question reads that if he had a good win/loss record, then that would make a difference. I don't, so why don't we agree to disagree. Ok?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I heard this a couple of times before, I think few understood how derailed discipline was DD.

I think many will very soon learn that when it comes to the "great Satan" Dicky and everyone's favorite Jesus figure Dodge there is not a real big distinction. Keep your ears open and we will all learn as much soon.

I think many will very soon learn that when it comes to the "great Satan" Dicky and everyone's favorite Jesus figure Dodge there is not a real big distinction. Keep your ears open and we will all learn as much soon.

DING!

YRDM-zD2np4

Edited by TheTastyGreek

Amen brother!!!! I'm proud you did not want to play catch on the sideline with "COACH" Riley Dodge on the sideline when were down 35 points in the second half. Yes a we in the stands did see it. What was the kid thinking ? He did find our 3rd string kicker to catch for him. That was real sad !!!! The true freshmen needs to learn Respect. .

OK - RV - quit making stuff up.