The Current Similarities Between 2001 And 2008

UNT_playmaker

I find this game against FIU quite similar to the game Dickey lead us into against MTSU on homecoming 2001. Dickey was basically told that if he lost he would be fired because the new AD wouldnt tolerate losing anymore. The rest is history as Dickey pulled the HUGE upset and beat then undefeated SBC contender MSTU (5-0) at Fouts.

Dodge faces the lowly FIU Panthers who many have already written off such as UNT. I dont know what Dodge's job security is in RV's eyes right now but I know that RV is more eager to have a winning coach now more than ever, especially with the new stadium on the way. Dodge faces a similiar path of going winless into a very important SBC game against FIU with alot of people expecting his team to shape up and win against a team I believe could be the only beatable team in the SBC this year.

The similarities of those games have been weighing heavily in my mind this week and wanted to see if any others have sensed the comparison.

I find this game against FIU quite similar to the game Dickey lead us into against MTSU on homecoming 2001. Dickey was basically told that if he lost he would be fired because the new AD wouldnt tolerate losing anymore. The rest is history as Dickey pulled the HUGE upset and beat then undefeated SBC contender MSTU (5-0) at Fouts.

Dodge faces the lowly FIU Panthers who many have already written off such as UNT. I dont know what Dodge's job security is in RV's eyes right now but I know that RV is more eager to have a winning coach now more than ever, especially with the new stadium on the way. Dodge faces a similiar path of going winless into a very important SBC game against FIU with alot of people expecting his team to shape up and win against a team I believe could be the only beatable team in the SBC this year.

The similarities of those games have been weighing heavily in my mind this week and wanted to see if any others have sensed the comparison.

I see the initial comparison, as far as adversity the program faces and a similar record. However, the current incarnation of Mean green football does not have Booger Kennedy, 3 great linebackers, a secondary that could tackle in the open field and cover a receiver on a given 3rd down. I want to beleive that Dodge's group can come together and play INSPIRED football, but I just don't see it, and to be honest to you I think that begins with TD. Dickey's '01 bunch had a group of legitimate ON THE FIELD leaders. The '08 team has a severe deficiency in that department. The old Mean Green squad were a nastier bunch, while this team looks incredibly soft in almost every aspect. The only good thing about our offense is the QB and maybe a few WR's, but there is not enough talent up front to make them a real threat to even and average defense. Our old offense had an edge, and it didn't matter that we ran it 80% of the time. Now we throw it all the time, have a spread offense that is en vouge, yet the offense still struggles for an identity. I am praying that changes soon. The '01 defense would laugh at what ever the hell we are trotting out there now. You may say I have good ol' day syndrome, but the eyeball test tells me that the team 7 years ago was a whole hell of a lot more talented.

I hope you are right, but I am afraid you are hoping that lightning will strike twice, and I fear that is not possible under the current circumstances.

Edited by Green Guy Bass

Umm. In 2001 MTSU was the SBC favorite. FIU has one upset win.

In 2001 DD was fighting for his life after he failed to rebuild the team. Dodge is 16 games into his rebuilding.

Our 2001 team was built around a young defense, a Galbreth ground and pound, and Scoot Hall not turning over the ball. Not exactly what I call Dodge ball.