Good Point....

FanofUNT

I thought this was a good point, because it doesn't just focus on football games, but how it could be an avenue for different events:

"As a Music Major I support a new stadium. I believe that Denton is a hot bed for great music. However, we are not a hot bed for summer and fall musical activities. Marching Bands and Drum Corps bring in money and spectators. If we have a new stadium it will attract organizations like Bands of America (www.bands.org) and Drum Corps International (www.dci.org) to host events here. I also believe that a new stadium will attract more people to games thus creating a much better support net for our athletics. Our football team might not be super strong now, but they will be. UNT has to accommodate a growing football program because it will be a great program in the future...WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?"

It is a good post.

I will not waste time trying to convince the hard core Anti-Stadium students. The only thing they see is that money will come out of their pockets and they will oppose it no matter what. We are focused on 1) Making certain those who are for the stadium show up during election week and 2) convincing the fence-sitters to come to our side of the issue.

Guys, we are WINNING this campaign. As I talk to students, I can tell almost immediately if they can swayed, and I work at explaining to them why a stadium is needed. For the most part, we are able to convince the fence-sitters because most will never pay this fee.

UNTFlyer...My hero! Once more...a big "THANKS" for all you are doing to help UNT grow and become an even better university!

The music student had a super point...I hope the word spreads. I agree as have seen how many folks come for band competitions, etc., etc. The City of Denton...and the "I think they are doing something...old boys club" Denton Sports Commission should both get behind this stadium and do all they can to help see that it is funded and built ASAP. I think BOTH the "whatever they do" Sports Commission and the City of Denton are missing a great opportunity to help the entire community...and themselves if they do not get in gear and work to see the stadium funded and built as soon as possible.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I think with this type of writing on UNT (Denton, TX) we could also attract upcoming artists, people to football games, events, and help create more of a scene at UNT...I haven't forgot about this article...

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/travel/11cultured.html#

THAT WAS AN AWESOME READ!!!!! NICE FIND!!!

I thought so! We should also focus on things we are getting recognized for and not just struggling with. The stadium is an avenue for all types of events...not just football. So for all those students believing they will never use it - what about concerts? festivities? Lets look at the big picture...

I thought this was a good point, because it doesn't just focus on football games, but how it could be an avenue for different events:

"As a Music Major I support a new stadium. I believe that Denton is a hot bed for great music. However, we are not a hot bed for summer and fall musical activities. Marching Bands and Drum Corps bring in money and spectators. If we have a new stadium it will attract organizations like Bands of America (www.bands.org) and Drum Corps International (www.dci.org) to host events here. I also believe that a new stadium will attract more people to games thus creating a much better support net for our athletics. Our football team might not be super strong now, but they will be. UNT has to accommodate a growing football program because it will be a great program in the future...WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?"

This is an excellent selling point that I had not seen previously discussed. I have been to many Bands of America events. They are day long competitions that bring money into the community and exposure to UNT. I have seen 5,000-10,000 people at these. A plush, new stadium would create a positive image of UNT and its football program.

And with such a nice facility built we could use it to: 1) benefit the public (good PR) in a case of need.

And also do people really think that such a nice venue will sit isolated and unused? how is that possible when the possibilities are endless? I could go on and on, but I won't. I'll stop now. :huh:

Also - I read somewhere that the NT Daily had conducted a survey with Journalsim students and they voted against. Well, I myself have a BA in Communication Studies and Masters in Journalism (liberal arts student :D ). I love sports and understand the value this will bring to everyone's education.