Cole Feature: He Played In H.s. Band At Ksu

Brett Vito

It seems that everytime I read an article about a player at the first of the year, they talk about how excited they are to play the big boys. The statements go something like "I always wanted to play against xyz" and "I always wanted to play on this type of stage in front of 60k+ fans".

So, if we were to change our philospohy and quit playing "money" games, would this affect recruiting? After all this time, has this served as a secondary recruiting tool? So two benefits = money + recruiting?

I agree though that the money games have really biten us in the behind. It would be nice to see us schedule lower Big 12 / SEC, etc., instead of the freaking national champions every year! :) Maybe we have the tools (Todge + DeLoach) to recruit and coach us to solid performances and wins against these money games in the near future?

So, if we were to change our philospohy and quit playing "money" games, would this affect recruiting? After all this time, has this served as a secondary recruiting tool? So two benefits = money + recruiting?

Absolutely! Look how it has destroyed Boise State recruiting.

Recruits don't want to go to a school where they can't have the honor of being publicly humiliated in the largest forums possible. Why would anybody ever want to go to sleep at night without hearing sometime during the day how much they suck.

Not saying this is the case at good ol' NT, but at other schools, selling "body bag games" is an easy way for an athletic department to mask the fact that they are not getting their job accomplished through legitimate efforts. Sure it destroys the programs image and it's ability to succeed, but it's a hell of a lot easier than scheduling home games, selling tickets and subsequently building a fan base.

It seems that everytime I read an article about a player at the first of the year, they talk about how excited they are to play the big boys. The statements go something like "I always wanted to play against xyz" and "I always wanted to play on this type of stage in front of 60k+ fans".

I've read many quotes about kids being excited to go in to the "big time" places to play a game. I dont think we need to avoid them, I think we need to get to a point where we're good enough to be competitive in them. I mean it isnt like we're in the SEC. We have 1-2 body bag games a year. Georgia plays like 6-7 teams we'd call "body bag" games this year.

I've read many quotes about kids being excited to go in to the "big time" places to play a game. I dont think we need to avoid them, I think we need to get to a point where we're good enough to be competitive in them. I mean it isnt like we're in the SEC. We have 1-2 body bag games a year. Georgia plays like 6-7 teams we'd call "body bag" games this year.

We should play those teams only once we become good enough to schedule home-andhome series with those schools.

Sportsmanship, after all, is about being able to play on a level playing field. Our opponents need to realize that before they expect us to participate.

How many quality wins has the Sun Belt had over BCS programs in the last 5 years? How many of those wins have been at the home of those BCS schools?

Not many that I can think of, MT over Vandy and ULM over Alabama last year are the only ones I can remember.

"Cole is a Kansas native and was in uniform on the field once before as a sophomore in high school, carrying his saxophone with the Shawnee Heights marching band."

I can't believe everybody has been discussing how much he weighed and whether our players should admit that KSU is the big-time. Nobody's asking the real questions for a music school:

Alto, tenor, or bari? Brass or silver finish? Which chair?