Tailgating

BasPlayr

Hello, from The Golden Hurricane!

I'm looking forward to coming back to Denton. I had such a great time when we were down a couple of years back, I have been chomping at the bit since I heard you guys were back on the schedule. I want to meet some more of the greatest football fans in Texas.

If you don't mind, I have some questions regarding game day festivities.

When I was down the last time, my friend and I had a geat time tailgating with some great people on the lower fields West of the Orange Lot. (Gotta say, that was the biggest darned smoker I've ever seen in my life. LOL) My tailgating buddies are all planning on coming to the game this year and we were wondering if you all could help us out by suggestinig where we could set up and tailgate for our group of 15 or so. We'll be driving a couple of fans that we'd like to park next to each other for our group. And, what time should we get there to "get a good spot"?

Also, we are debating on whether to bring the small grill, or pick up something locally(like a Quiznos or Subway). Is there something like one of those places, or something you all might suggtest, near the campus where we could order up a couple of platters of food for our group?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken Smith

Personally I would plan on bringing a grill, just because that makes it a lot more fun...but yes we do have Subways, Quiznos, etc..but if you really want a sandwhich I would recommend New York Sub Hub on Eagle Street. I can't remember when game time is but I'd at least show up 4 hours prior. Like UNTFlyer said, make sure you pull into the lot..we definitely have some parking nazis, but they say it will be improved this year.

If I were coming from out of town, I would call the North Texas campus police dept. and get the specifics. To reach them call the main university number at 940-565-2000 and asked to be transferred to the police parking department. That way you can hear it directly from the 'horse's mouth.' Have a fun trip down and a silent trip back.

I noticed on my parking passes for this year that it states (between the hours of 8am and 5 hours prior to kickoff, you may choose what side of the parking lot you would like to park on, after that you will be ushered where to park) so if you want to good spot and a chance to choose it, i would suggest being there at least 5 hours prior to kickoff.

I noticed on my parking passes for this year that it states (between the hours of 8am and 5 hours prior to kickoff, you may choose what side of the parking lot you would like to park on.

The Arkansas State game is at 1pm. Will have to break out my time travel device for that one.

The Arkansas State game is at 1pm. Will have to break out my time travel device for that one.

Unfortunately you should have plenty of parking on that one, Thanksgiving weekend what a bad idea.

Well unless we are playing for the Belt title.

Why do we only have 5 home games, why has the fifth game been on the Saturday after Thanksgiving 3 of the last 4 years. We should never play Thanksgiving weekend, well at least until we are a Top 25 team.

Unfortunately you should have plenty of parking on that one, Thanksgiving weekend what a bad idea.

Why do we only have 5 home games, why has the fifth game been on the Saturday after Thanksgiving 3 of the last 4 years. We should never play Thanksgiving weekend, well at least until we are a Top 25 team.

Nope...you're no longer allowed to complain about anything.

Next season we will have 6 homes games. I think this Thanksgiving game may be different. We need good weather. Having something to play for will be nice as well.

If I were coming from out of town, I would call the North Texas campus police dept. and get the specifics. To reach them call the main university number at 940-565-2000 and asked to be transferred to the police parking department. That way you can hear it directly from the 'horse's mouth.' Have a fun trip down and a silent trip back.

Thanks for the information. I'll pass it along to the group.

As the game gets closer. I'll be back to visit again.

Good luck in that K-State Game.

Ken

Edited by BasPlayr

Since it sounds like you already know about the Hooya, I'd like to mention their new next door neighboor, The Central Grill. I hear their wings are fantastic and only 10 cents each on Tuesday. That is, if you fee like hanging out all week...

Really great food and service. Plus, it's always cool to support the people that wear little-D on their sleeve, with NT, TWU, and local high school memorabilia plastered every where.

If Tulsa and UNT can get a good series going, I would say you will eventually need to grab something at Hooya (already covered?), Central Grill, Sub Hub on Ave C, NY Sub on University, and the gillion places to post-game bar hop near Fry and/or The Square.