New Mexico Rejects $1.8mil To Play A&m In San Antonio

MeanGreen61

Off the Froggie board

New Mexico rejects $1.8 million to move game to San Antonio

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -- New Mexico rejected a $1.8 million offer to move a Sept. 6 home game against Texas A&M to San Antonio.

Athletics director Paul Krebs said UNM declined the third-party offer because administrators didn't want to deprive New Mexico fans of seeing one of the nation's storied programs at University Stadium.

"We have to develop our fan base," Krebs said. "Moving the game to San Antonio, I think, would sell out our fans, would be a decision made purely for economic reasons. I think it sends the wrong message to our fans and to our football program."

An unidentified third party approached New Mexico at the end of the 2006 season, just after the school had signed a home-and-home contract with the Aggies, and offered the Lobos $1.5 million to move the game.

When UNM declined, the offer eventually increased to $1.8 million by June 2007. New Mexico again turned it down.

Coach Rocky Long said he believes New Mexico in years past would have "jumped all over that kind of proposal because you're looking for a quick fix." He supports the decision, saying it will help build loyalty.

"I don't see it as a gamble," Long said. "I see it as an investment to further our program to the point that someday it'll be a nationally recognized program with an established, solid fan base."

The Lobos are scheduled to travel to Texas A&M on Sept. 5, 2009.

The Lobos have home games against both A&M and Arizona; their fans have been looking forward to these games all Summer and it would not be good for Lobo Athletics to sell either of the games. The plan is to bring in higher profile teams, pack the stadium, and expand seating:

UNM AD Paul Krebs said on The Mtn. with Tim Everett that after the NM Bowl they are going to reconstruct the south end zone and add more seats bringing the total to around 50,000.

With the way small schools have been playing powerhouses lately, I would never turn down a shot to play A&M and who knows maybe it could have helped NM recruiting.

They're still going to play A&M, but at home rather than in San Antonio (a virtual home game for the ags).

Good move by the AD to tell A&M no and to stick with the original agreement to play the game in Albuquerque.

They're still going to play A&M, but at home rather than in San Antonio (a virtual home game for the ags).

Good move by the AD to tell A&M no and to stick with the original agreement to play the game in Albuquerque.

Exactly,

What benefit is it from NM to move the game to San Antonio. Sure their fans get a 'destination' weekend early in the season, but how much of their alumni base is there?