Which Newcomer Lineman For 2008...

I know this isn't very specific, asking which of either defensive or offensive line newcomers will contribute the most in 2008, but I'm asking it this way for these reasons:

1. Some immediate needs on both sides of the line were apparent last spring, due to graduation, departures, injuries, etc.

2. Some of our line recruits have either played both sides, or will play on a different side at UNT than in high school; Jordan Scoggins has been switched to DT from TE in High School, Troy Franklin and Tevinn Cantly played both sides, as did one of our JUCO transfers (Hollivay, I believe).

3. Sometimes a good offense can hide weaknesses in a defensive unit (such as defensive tackle; I don't know if the reverse is true). I suppose a good offensive line and an effective running game could be part of that.

4. Some may start out the year on one side and get changed to another as needs arise from injuries, etc.

I'll skip my sentimental favorites; Jordan Scoggins (he played for Euless Trinity and I just find him physically impressive), and Tevinn Cantly (one of my coworkers is familiar with Arlington Lamar, and considers him the best prospect he's seen from Lamar in years). My prediction as the best new interior lineman in 2008: Nate Jenkins. He's had an additional 2 years experience by playing JUCO football, and according to what Brett Vito has written lately, seems to be taking care o business academically.

So, out of Redshirt freshmen from last year, true freshmen and JUCO transfers who signed in 2008, and anyone else, who for whatever reason did not play on the offensive or defensive line for UNT last year but is projected to this year, who do you think will contribute the most and why?

I know this isn't very specific, asking which of either defensive or offensive line newcomers will contribute the most in 2008, but I'm asking it this way for these reasons:

1. Some immediate needs on both sides of the line were apparent last spring, due to graduation, departures, injuries, etc.

2. Some of our line recruits have either played both sides, or will play on a different side at UNT than in high school; Jordan Scoggins has been switched to DT from TE in High School, Troy Franklin and Tevinn Cantly played both sides, as did one of our JUCO transfers (Hollivay, I believe).

3. Sometimes a good offense can hide weaknesses in a defensive unit (such as defensive tackle; I don't know if the reverse is true). I suppose a good offensive line and an effective running game could be part of that.

4. Some may start out the year on one side and get changed to another as needs arise from injuries, etc.

I'll skip my sentimental favorites; Jordan Scoggins (he played for Euless Trinity and I just find him physically impressive), and Tevinn Cantly (one of my coworkers is familiar with Arlington Lamar, and considers him the best prospect he's seen from Lamar in years). My prediction as the best new interior lineman in 2008: Nate Jenkins. He's had an additional 2 years experience by playing JUCO football, and according to what Brett Vito has written lately, seems to be taking care o business academically.

So, out of Redshirt freshmen from last year, true freshmen and JUCO transfers who signed in 2008, and anyone else, who for whatever reason did not play on the offensive or defensive line for UNT last year but is projected to this year, who do you think will contribute the most and why?

jordan scoggins

Nate Jenkins....at 6'4" 335 lbs with two years of JUCO experience, this three star rivals and four star scout rating recruit seems to me to be the one newcomer to contribute the most in 2008. It appears he will handle the Right Tackle starting position immediately in August. I would give Alonzo Horton a close second.

Nate Jenkins....at 6'4" 335 lbs with two years of JUCO experience, this three star rivals and four star scout rating recruit seems to me to be the one newcomer to contribute the most in 2008. It appears he will handle the Right Tackle starting position immediately in August. I would give Alonzo Horton a close second.

This is a good post and concur.

Guest GrayEagleOne

My vote goes to Horton also but Jenkins is so close that he's probably 1A rather than 2. I don't know enough about Hollivay to put him #1 but he could surprise.

I think that Scoggins, Cantley, Franklin, Feeley, Jackson, Hawthorne, Leppo et al need a year to develop.

I don't have the same concern many apparently do about the offensive line. NT have in reality 5 returning starters with Drake, Santiago, Rose, Menard and Bailey. With a bevy of newcomers inclusive of jucos' Hollivay and Jenkins plus promising redshirts Johnson, Tomlison and Kaiser, it appears that the offensive line is going to be both stronger and deeper. I think the lack of depth due to injuries during the spring caused some to be more concerned than is necessary about the offensive line. With according to my count 16 offensive linemen on scholarship with only one being a senior, NT should be set for at least a couple of years. That is a lot of offensive linemen for any program.

The defensive line is another matter with very little experience returning. The best two linemen last year, Stevenson and Chapman have graduated. Therefore, I think that Alonzo Horton will be the most important new player next year. Along with Gilmore the defensive ends should be at least adequate with depth supplied by Sykes and Davenport. I look for Miller to have a big senior year and hopefully Thomas can at least be a positive factor at the other tackle position. Depth at defensive tackle looks very suspect with little experience or size returning. Journeyman Stewart and converted from TE Brown are both small for the positions and have limited playing experience. Desoto and Scoggins are both young but have not been impressive thus far, but hopefully can progress enough to at least give some quality minutes next year.