Characterizing The Conferences

A Q&A from the 5/2 Ask CFN

The BCS conferences, especially the Big 10 and Pac 10, are typically characterized by the traditional style of play of their teams (e.g. Pac 10 = no defense/big passing). I was wondering what your conference associations would be, and furthermore how would you generally characterize the non-BCS conferences? – BA

A: Of course, the characterizations are wrong considering how many receivers the Big Ten puts into the NFL and how good some of the Pac 10 defenses have been in recent years. Here’s what I perceive the biases are on a national scale when it comes to each league. Obviously I’m not saying any of these are actually right.

- ACC – A basketball league. Soft.

- Big East – A beefed up division of Conference USA.

- Big Ten – Slow. Three yards and a cloud of Field Turf.

- Big 12 – Oklahoma, Texas, and ten other teams (it used to be nine before Bill Callahan took over at Nebraska).

- Conference USA – A beefed up MAC.

- MAC – Division I-AAA.

- Mountain West – A high-octane offensive league because people in the east confuse it with the WAC.

- Pac 10 – USC and nine other teams, no defense, lots of passing.

- SEC – The good: it’s fast and very, very talented. The bad: everyone’s getting paid off and everyone is cheating.

- Sun Belt – Division II-Plus

- WAC – Throw, throw, throw, throw, throw.

This just in from "Characterizing the sports publications":

CFN - Obscure third rate publication full of bitter writers who couldn't hack it with the big boys. A half step above such greats as the Midwestern Montana High School JV Track Review, Curling Quarterly, and Ribby Paultz's Draft Insider.