More On Johnson, Vouyoukas

MeanGreen61

As promised, more on Johnson, Vouyoukas

UNT officially welcomed one new member of its team on Friday and appears to have another in its sights. As promised, here is a little more on Dominique Johnson and Alex Vouyoukas.

I already wrote about Johnson a few days back, but today was the first day UNT head coach Johnny Jones could talk about his new point guard. Jones said that UNT was in the market for a ball-handler to replace two-year starter Ben Bell and free up Josh White to play off the ball at times like he did last season. UNT’s coaches think Johnson will fill that role and provide a whole lot more. Jones said Johnson can really push the pace and is also a good shooter.

Jones also likes the fact that Johnson has experience at the Division I level from his time at Missouri-Kansas City.

Vouyoukas came up today and I was able to get both him and Blair Academy assistant coach Terrell Ivory on the phone. Vouyoukas didn’t qualify at Davidson after committing to play there and is looking for a new home.

Ivory said the race is wide open for the 6-9 small forward’s services. Because Vouyoukas is from Greece, he doesn’t have any preconceived notions of it being important to play in a prominent conference or for a team with a long history of success, Ivory said.

Vouyoukas is considering Western Kentucky, Loyola-Chicago, Loyola (Md.), Wright State, Wichita State and East Carolina in addition to UNT.

Ivory said Vouyoukas is a typical European player with shooting touch and also has the ability to run the floor. He would be a huge get for UNT. The Mean Green could roll out George Odufuwa and Vouyoukas at 6-9 each and have Eric Tramiel at 6-7 at the power forward spot with Harold Stewart, Justin Howerton and Kedrick Hogans coming off the bench. UNT would be a nightmare to match up with at that point.

It also would be nice for UNT to keep him away from Western Kentucky, which has pretty much lost its entire recruiting class after the departure of Darin Horn to South Carolina.

There will be quotes in tomorrow’s paper from Vouyoukas and Ivory, so be sure to pick up a copy.

Post your thoughts on the blog. How good could UNT be with Vouyoukas?

I hope the fact we didn't have anyone in NY doesn't hurt us too bad.

I know...I hope the same. I like the fact that we still have the scholarship to offer. Hopefully we'll get on the phone ASAP and say we've got a huge Greek fanbase at UNT (well we at least have TheTastyGreek) and that will seal the deal.