Cam Montgomery Article

UNTLifer

College football: Montgomery looking to be impact player

11:44 PM CDT on Thursday, April 3, 2008

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas head coach Todd Dodge was sure he had an impact player on his hands when running back Cam Montgomery signed with the Mean Green out of Northeast Mississippi Community College.

Montgomery is starting to show why that was the case this spring after an injury-plagued debut season.

The junior scored two touchdowns in the Mean Green's first scrimmage of spring practice and is improving his stock heading into UNT's second scrimmage today at Fouts Field.

"He is playing with a lot more confidence and has a better grasp of the offense," Dodge said. "One of our goals for this spring is to take a long, hard look at him and get him as much time as we can. We are pleased halfway through."

UNT must replace its leading rusher from last season, former national rushing champion Jamario Thomas. Sophomore Micah Mosley split time with Thomas last season and is expected to play a significant role next year.

Montgomery was arguably the Mean Green's top player in Dodge's first recruiting class. He was expected to challenge Thomas for playing time, but was hampered by a series of injuries throughout the season.

A hamstring injury was particularly troublesome for Montgomery, who suffered the injury in the summer before he arrived at UNT. By the end of the season, Montgomery had rushed for just seven yards on just three carries in three games.

"I am healthy this year, which is a blessing," Montgomery said. "I never got to the point where I was healthy last year. My hamstring gave me problems all season. It was frustrating, but I got through it because people encouraged me."

UNT caught a break when the NCAA granted Montgomery a medical redshirt, leaving him two years of eligibility with the Mean Green.

Montgomery essentially received a one-year tutoring session in Dodge's spread offense, which appears as if it will pay off this fall.

"Cam is a very versatile back," Dodge said. "We want guys who can carry the ball well, block and catch the ball out of the backfield. He is getting better in pass protection and has soft hands."

Dodge described Montgomery as a slasher with good vision and size who is a fit for what UNT wants to do offensively. One of UNT's goals for the spring is to get its running backs more involved in its passing game.

Thomas had 16 catches for 37 yards last season, while Mosley caught 11 passes for 88 yards and a touchdown.

Mosley and Montgomery are expected to compete for playing time throughout the remainder of spring practice and into the fall. Dodge rotated his running backs last season and has long said his philosophy is to get the ball to as many playmakers as possible.

Montgomery showed that he could be one of those players next season when he scored on runs that covered 31 and 25 yards in UNT's first scrimmage.

Montgomery said he isn't worried about landing the starting job and is focusing on helping the team any way he can. More and more, it appears as if Montgomery might help UNT by filling a prominent role in the Mean Green's offense.

"I feel like I can help the team," Montgomery said. "If the starting job comes, it comes."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com

I was wondering what happen to Montgomery last year, so this story explains the situation

as too why Montgomery was not playing.

I viewed the recruiting videos on Montgomery, and was very impressed. This guy is a very,

very, good RB. Combination of size, power and most of all speed! Very good receiver too.

I do believe Montgomery will be a big factor in NT's running game for 2008. As Coach Dodge

likes to say, Montgomery's abilities, "will give NT options".

For Micah Mosely, I was very impressed with him coming in as a true freshman, and his performance.

Mosely sure did not look like a true freshman last year. This kid is a power back, and as soon run

over someone as to juking the guy out. No fear, just confidence. I can see Coach Dodge and Coach

Ford dreaming up offensive scemes to take advantage of Mosely's and Montgomery's abilities.

Last year, the running game seemed limited to what could be done. For the 2008 season, I see

the runing game becoming a major weapon with Mosely and Montgomery in the back field!

I'm expecting some big things from the running game this year.

1) with Cam being healthy

2) Mosely having a year under his belt

3) The O-line should be much improved

4) the passing game should improve therefore helping the running game

On #3, I assume you are talking about our JUCO pickups? I think one of them (Hollivay?) may have some academic issues to clear up before he finishes the semester. But if they are ready to go and are as advertised, you are right. I am still worried about depth on the O-line.

On #3, I assume you are talking about our JUCO pickups? I think one of them (Hollivay?) may have some academic issues to clear up before he finishes the semester. But if they are ready to go and are as advertised, you are right. I am still worried about depth on the O-line.

It's Jenkins who has issues but it shouldn't be a big deal he just has to complete 19 hours over this semester and summer before he qualifies.

With the 2 JUCO linemen coming in, if as advertised, I seriously think that this line has the chance to be one of the best in the belt. You will have Jenkins and Holliway who are both some BIG boys. An all-conference center in Kelvin Drake. Esteban Santiago will be a RS soph, and should be solid. Menard hopefully will be able to step in at the other spot. I'm actually not all that concerned with depth. We have Rose who has proven he can step in at several positions, and Tyler Baily who started this last year.