Proposing A Student Athletic Fee

UNTflyer

What Master's Degrees do "all" the people in athletics have that isn't offered at UNT? Just wondering??????? Quoner, I think that was your post...can you enlighten me about the master's degree thing? ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GrayEagleOne

What Master's Degrees do "all" the people in athletics have that isn't offered at UNT? Just wondering??????? Quoner, I think that was your post...can you enlighten me about the master's degree thing? ;)

Until Quoner is allowed to post, I might be able to shed a little light. There are some universities that offer a Masters in Sports Administration and also Sports Medicine. I don't know for certain how many that would apply to but my guess would only be two or three, if that many. We only offer a master's in kinesiology in the College of Education.

Until Quoner is allowed to post, I might be able to shed a little light. There are some universities that offer a Masters in Sports Administration and also Sports Medicine. I don't know for certain how many that would apply to but my guess would only be two or three, if that many. We only offer a master's in kinesiology in the College of Education.

It seems like we are talking about the front-end of athletics as a business here. We need as many alums with core desire topromote the university and athletics as possible on staff everywhere. I would love an alum to be interested, qualified and apply for the job. If they were the best fit to provide a business solution to the athletic department, HIRE THEM FIRST! I would caution against hiring an alum that was not qualified and could not perform the job. As stated above, a degree in Kinesiology doesn't necessarily mean we get what our money pays for. But maybe so, you really don't know.

Go Mean Green!

-after proposing the fee you emailed the chancellor, president of the university, athletic director and the NT Daily to talk about the fee BEFORE you even heard back from the AD to find out if he even supports it

-now that you have done all of this, you are coming to the board for support and to figure out a PR plan?

I might not be right. I hope I am not right. How do you even know that the amount of money that you have proposed is correct? This is completely backwards. Maybe the AD has "done nothing" because the timing is not right. We can't afford another defeat on this issue. I was heavily involved in a student leadership position (along with many others on this board) the first time the fee increase was proposed and I can tell you that the biggest mistake made was the fact that they publicized it at all. There shouldn't have been a campaign. People came out to vote against this and rallied against it because they could. Also, it's an election year... people are looking for battles. This is a major undertaking that needs to be orchestrated by someone who has experience with this sort of thing. Please, please, please make sure that you do not venture out at this alone. Make sure that you have the support of the athletic department and that there is a very well orchestrated plan to get this done. I admire the support but please realize that this is a huge issue and if it fails it could be very bad for athletics...

Flyer, have you heard back from RV?

I think there may be plans in the works about financing, be sure to find out before you yell the battle cry "raise fees" to other students! We saw the reaction last time, not good. I still prefer a BOR mandated fee as opposed to any student voted-in fee. You think OU or UT let students vote on their stadium upgrades?? ha!

Edited by NT80

There are lots of other reasons to have a student athletic fee, all of which are being considered.

Where are they? Your one man approach seems a little short sided and numberous other posters have pointed out.

Why is $3 the magic number? Why an overall atheletic fee increase vs. say a stadium fee.

The only response I have received was from Chancellor Jackson. I will not quote him directly. I asked if he would permit me to do so, but he preferred that I not because he is not involved in the day-to-day administration and doesn't want to be mail bombed (so please don't!). I will say that after our email exchange, I feel good about very cautiously moving forward with a campaign to get a referendum before the students. But, it needs to be done the right way with the support of the AD and key student organizations.

Where are they? Your one man approach seems a little short sided and numberous other posters have pointed out.

Why is $3 the magic number? Why an overall atheletic fee increase vs. say a stadium fee.

I appreciate your input. I am not looking to be a one-man crusade fighting windmills.

I'm not certain if you have read this entire thread or not, but $3 is the incremental annual increase that I think should be considered. There's nothing magic about, other than it seems like a reasonable number to start with. $3 x 12 hours a semester is $36. Compare that to proposing the maximum $20 x 12 hours = $240, and I think you will see why an incremental approach makes sense in order to get it approved by the students.

Finally, let's say a bag of money fell out of the sky... just enough to build a stadium. Should that be the end? Do we want to be a competitive Div-I athletic program or do we want to linger in the Belt? This is about more than a stadium, this is about fixing "The Problem", as Adler has named it. You can search for his posts for his excellent prose on the subject. My better half sums up "The Problem" quite succinctly: "No one cares." Is a bag of money for a stadium going to fix "The Problem"? I don't think so. What will solve it is instilling pride in the students of today and the future, so that they will have fond memories of this school and contribute when they leave.

In short, it's not just about sports. It's about a vision of making UNT the best damn school in the state. :)

Edited by UNTflyer

As stated above, a degree in Kinesiology doesn't necessarily mean we get what our money pays for.

Go Mean Green!

And obviously, neither does a Masters in Sports Administration.

Hire an alumn who has a proven track record for good customer service, one who enjoys, truly enjoys meeting people and helping them with anything that benefits North Texas Athletics, one who has a good work ethic, a passion for North Texas athletics and mostly one who loves this university. I can think of countless individuals who would have been a perfect fit when they first got out of school. Hire someone with the qualities I listed above and you'll definately get what you paid for. I've seen it here before. No reason it can't happen again.

Rick

And obviously, neither does a Masters in Sports Administration.

Hire an alumn who has a proven track record for good customer service, one who enjoys, truly enjoys meeting people and helping them with anything that benefits North Texas Athletics, one who has a good work ethic, a passion for North Texas athletics and mostly one who loves this university. I can think of countless individuals who would have been a perfect fit when they first got out of school. Hire someone with the qualities I listed above and you'll definately get what you paid for. I've seen it here before. No reason it can't happen again.

Rick

I can't imagine what someone with a degree in Sports Administration knows that someone with a degree in business administration/marketing doesn't know. The job in question is a MARKETING AND CUSTOMER SERVICE JOB! You come in, familiarize yourself with the product, and go out and sell it!

A North Texas alum would have a big advantage because they have some knowledge of the product. And they know (or should know) how to talk up the positive, and play down the negative.

Edited by SilverEagle

I haven't been on here in a while. So, I guess I can assume from the posts that we still have not secured the money for the stadium. :( I thought the money being spent on the detailed plans meant that the money was secured. Disappointing. I worked at UNT during the last stadium fee thing and it wasn't pretty. I don't think it will work unless the BOR just does it. I still doubt that such a move is legal, but I don't have any direct experience with that. We really need our TBOONE PICKENS, don't we? The trouble is that during tough economic times, it becomes very unlikely to get such a donor. It is bad pub to give to such causes when people are hurting. During times like these, big donors usually give to causes that alleviate real suffering. The fundraiser in me says that this stadium is not going to happen for a long time, though I really hope that I am wrong. It would have been nice if we could have gotten this thing done as a part of our bowl appearences several years ago. We missed a great time to strike while the iron is hot, I'm afraid.