Tina, Please Step Away

greendog

My wish is that Tina Slinker would step aside if she cares about NT.

I truly believe that Tina is a wonderful, loyal, dedicated employee of

Nt. I also truly believe that she is a poor recruiter and doesn't know

an "X" from an "O".

After 20 years in Denton, few people know who she is. She doesn't

work in the community and basically recruits players who have a

lot of "baggage" or who were not recruited by other top schools.

LSU, OSU, OU, UT, and even Baylor draw 8-12,000 at their games.

True, I don't expect a Sun Belt conference to draw that many but

2 or 3000 would certainly help since it is a revenue sport.

Hopefully, if RV keeps his word she will be gone as soon as she

is beaten in the conference tournament. It would sure be great if

she would step aside asap so that we won't be behind in the hiring

of a new exciting coach.

Baylor was a nothing in WBB until a few years ago. Now they are

the kind of program that sometimes outdraws the men. It can be

done here at NT.

When a coach at the 3rd largest university in the state within a 30

mile radius of 6 million people and can only draw 4 or 500 people,

it speaks volumes.

Since women's basketball has gone through its' boom, if you will (the late 80s until now).....NT has had one and only one head coach....Tina Slinker. It's time we gave someone else a chance. She's been here for 19 years.

I can't think of any other school in America, that would keep a men's or women's b-ball coach around for that long....if that coach had never ever taken the school to the NCAA tournament.

My wish is that Tina Slinker would step aside if she cares about NT.

I truly believe that Tina is a wonderful, loyal, dedicated employee of

Nt. I also truly believe that she is a poor recruiter and doesn't know

an "X" from an "O".

After 20 years in Denton, few people know who she is. She doesn't

work in the community and basically recruits players who have a

lot of "baggage" or who were not recruited by other top schools.

LSU, OSU, OU, UT, and even Baylor draw 8-12,000 at their games.

True, I don't expect a Sun Belt conference to draw that many but

2 or 3000 would certainly help since it is a revenue sport.

Hopefully, if RV keeps his word she will be gone as soon as she

is beaten in the conference tournament. It would sure be great if

she would step aside asap so that we won't be behind in the hiring

of a new exciting coach.

Baylor was a nothing in WBB until a few years ago. Now they are

the kind of program that sometimes outdraws the men. It can be

done here at NT.

When a coach at the 3rd largest university in the state within a 30

mile radius of 6 million people and can only draw 4 or 500 people,

it speaks volumes.

I think it is past time for NT to make a change, but I take exception to a lot of your comments. In general I think Slinker has recruited fairly well over the years. Actually much better than the men's team until the last couple of years. I have no idea of what you are referring to, with your players with baggage remark. Yes there have been a few minor incidents but compared to most programs, I would give Slinker high marks on the character of her players. I hate to break it to you that NT doesn't compare with Big Twelve Schools in most if not all sports. If NT had a million to pay a coach like Baylor's wbb coach, I would rather they spend it elsewhere than a single wbb coach. You may have not noticed that the women's team is doing better in the Belt than the men.

Again I think it is past time for a new head women's coach not because as you opined that Slinker is a bad coach. A truly bad coach would not be coaching in her nineteenth year at NT. The fact is that Slinker has had more than enough opportunities to demonstrate that she can take a team above the mediocrity level. I think RV made an enormous blunder committing NT to a new contract for Slinker in mid season three years ago. This years team IMO has a lot talent and hopefully a new coach can take more advantage of it next year.

Edited by GrandGreen

It's time for a change if we really want to upgrade the program...19 years without anything to show for it is really "pushing the envelope". But, it might say something about how the University and the Athletic Dept. view women's sports in general. Hmmmmmm...that might be a topic for another discussion altogether.

Women's sports bring in ZERO $$$$$ to the program, but we all know about Title IX and all that....if we had a winning women's BB team to "anchor" the women's sports program, the we might just see some real interest develop. Some of our women's teams are VERY VERY GOOD...ie: tennis, soccer, etc....and softball seems to be on an upswing...so, let's see what would happen if we had a dynamo for a head women's BB coach...a real recruiter and someone determined to improve the program. With our new Prez...I'll bet the athletic dept. would be willing to upgrade the program...what say you?

Wait a sec, wasn't the women's team at one point more successful than the men's team?

Slinker won acouple of Division tiles in the Big West and had some decent squads. Meanwhille Trilli's teams won about 20 games in 5 seasons. I'm glad Tina's girls are giving her a decent season to end on this year.

Yes, the women did have a couple of years that were better than the men...but, overall, look at the record over the last 19 years. It's just not the record that we need to review....it's all the "other" stuff that comes with being a head coach at a D-1 school...recruiting, community involvement, speaking at clubs and with organizations to "drum up" support for the program (both in $$$$ and rears in the seats), etc., etc. , etc. Don't get me wrong here, I am not "bashing" Tina S. I just think 19 years at one spot without some championships to show for it...well, that's really a good run ... hard to get such a run in D-1 anywhere else I would think. UNT has been good to Tina S. No hard feelings and no animosity here, but shouldn't the program be looking for championships out of its head coach? I think JJ and TD are "expected" to win championships in a reasonable amount of time (JJ has)...why not the ladies???? Just thinking out loud. :blink:

The Ladies are really hitting their stride. Now I don't think they're gonna win the SBC title or anything, but they've won 6 of their last 7 or something and they have absolutely crushed some of those schools. Like they're currently doing to Troy(up 24 with about 8 minutes left).