Drc Article On Two New Recruits

cjones

I like that we beat out Dickey for the RB!

Football: Back felt comfortable picking North Texas

07:23 AM CST on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Bob Wager saw his share of running backs as the head coach at Arlington Martin last season, and he believes North Texas might have landed the best one of the bunch late Sunday night when Jeremi Mathis orally committed to play for the Mean Green.

Mathis was one of four players to pledge to play for UNT after visiting the school over the weekend. Mathis, Houston Cypress Ridge cornerback Royce Hill and their coaches talked about each player’s decision to commit to the Mean Green for the first time Monday.

“I think Jeremi was the best running back in the Dallas area last season,” Wager said. “We have had eight players sign in each of the last two seasons. I have had a lot of highly recruited players and he is among the most highly recruited we have had.”

Mathis said he had 12 scholarship offers and chose UNT over Utah State, Louisiana Tech, Co-lorado State and Air Force, a-mong others.

Mathis (6-2, 208) rushed for 1,457 yards and was a first-team All-District 8-5A selection. He is rated No. 93 on The Dallas Morning News’ list of the top 100 players in the area.

“North Texas is an awesome school,” Mathis said. “I felt real comfortable around the coaches and felt like I could spend four years playing football and going to school there.”

Mathis joined his teammate, defensive lineman Joe Haw-thorne in committing to the Mean Green. Mathis said he wasn’t aware that Hawthorne had committed and it wasn’t a factor in his decision, but he is happy to be going to college with a high school teammate.

“Jeremi is everything you want in a football player,” Wager said. “He has a great work ethic, is a team player and has all the physical tools as well.”

Hill (5-11, 170) showed similar skills at Cypress Ridge, where he was a member of the All-District 17-5A team three times and made the first team for the second time as a senior. Hill intercepted three passes last season and was one of eight finalists for the Houston Touchdown Club defensive player of the year award.

TexasPrepXtra.com rated Hill No. 35 on its list of the top 100 players in the Greater Houston area.

Hill also excelled at returning punts and kickoffs. He led the 17-5A in punt return average and finished second in kick return average.

“I was really impressed with the facilities, coach Dodge and what he is starting there,” Hill said. “UNT recruited me both as a cornerback and as a return man. The coaches want me to return punts my freshman year and said I might get a chance to play cornerback as a freshman as well.”

Rice also offered a scholarship.

“Royce is a tremendous athlete who can play both corner and receiver,” Cypress Ridge head coach Gary Thiebaud said. “He can play press coverage and has good ball skills.”

Briefly …

Northeastern Oklahoma State head coach and former UNT assistant Kenny Evans said Monday that former Mean Green quarterback Woody Wilson has enrolled at NEO, a Division II school in Tahlequah. Wilson started four games during his only season at UNT in 2006.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com .

NORTH TEXAS 2008 COMMITMENTS

Briefly …

Northeastern Oklahoma State head coach and former UNT assistant Kenny Evans said Monday that former Mean Green quarterback Woody Wilson has enrolled at NEO, a Division II school in Tahlequah. Wilson started four games during his only season at UNT in 2006.

That news is interesting so obviously WW still has not found any common ground, he goes through schools like Paris/Britney goes through guys.

He started at UA -- Coffeyville (Thx Lifer) --UNT --- UCA --- now NEOU. Hope for the best for him but he needs to mature some. :huh:

Glad to see he gets to go back to a common coach from the past, but I remain on the mature part, he left UNT because of grades pure and simple, not much different than Flemings bouncing around in the BB Area.

Edited by untbowler

Briefly …

NE Oklahoma

isn't that Carrie Underwoods Alma Matter?

That news is interesting so obviously WW still has not found any common ground, he goes through schools like Paris/Britney goes through guys.

He started at UA -- UNT --- UCA --- now NEOU. Hope for the best for him but he needs to mature some. :huh:

Glad to see he gets to go back to a common coach from the past, but I remain on the mature part, he left UNT because of grades pure and simple, not much different than Flemings bouncing around in the BB Area.

Don't forget Coffeyville CC that should go in between UA & NT. I wish him well, and don't find anything wrong with the post about him going through schools considering it is the truth.