Playoff Proposal

cdizzle86

Guest GrayEagleOne

There will be four 'BCS' bowls. That would be eight slots. Six are guaranteed to the top 6 conferences if they meet certain criteria. The other two will be up for grabs. It might be possible for a non-guaranteed conference to get the other two; more than likely just one. I believe that there has been one in each of the last three years (Utah, Boise State, and Hawaii). It seems to me that they are adding one bowl but I could be wrong. Anyway, the four winners of the BCS bowls would supposedly play to a championship.

The proposal was made by the president of Georgia and hasn't been presented yet. I don't know exactly how he proposes that the four winners are seeded as to who plays who. Anyway, I'd say that our chances of making the BCS bowl is somewhere between slim and none but a helluva lot closer to none.

ArkStFan had a good quote the other day related to this subject:

One of the Cajun fans has long touted 24 teams and auto bids for everyone.

It actually makes a lot of sense. First all conference champions are in. It still leaves 13 at-large spots open. The top 8 have the incentive of hosting and a first round bye. But what I like about the idea is this: In a 16 team playoff odds are against anyone from the MWC, Sun Belt, MAC, CUSA, or WAC hosting a game and unlikely that two would ever host. In a 24 team playoff teams seeded 9-16 will host a first round game.

Using the BCS standings, Hawaii would have hosted and BYU would have been very close to hosting this year. Last year Boise would have hosted and had a bye. 2004 Utah would have hosted and had a bye and Boise would have hosted. 2000 TCU would have hosted. 1999 Marshall would have hosted and 1998 Tulane would have hosted.

Imagine what it would do for a program to get a home playoff game even if this year for example it would have probably been FAU at Hawaii playing for the right to go to play USC. Last year you would have probably had Troy at Auburn playing for the right to go to Boise.

If a 16-team playoff stacks the odds against the non-BCS conferences, how much more is that the case with an 8-team playoff with 6 of those slots reserved for the big conferences?

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

It only favors the big conferences because they always put up the winners. Those who win get more money for their conferences. The cycle is never ending. If a conference such as The Sunbelt or CUSA was able to put up multiple winning teams (BCS Bowl elig) they would be included. What makes the system unfair is that Baylor can go undefeated next year and play for a National Champion. For a Mid Major to have a chance at a National Championship they must go to a top bowl game one year then go undefeated the next. So currently it takes a Mid two years to play for a national championship. A BCS plus system or a playoff will allow a Mid the opportunity to win a National Championship in one year.