Invaders On Our Turf

MCMLXXX

My wife and I both have advanced degrees from Texas Tech and receive regular mailings regarding events. I only follow the Mean Green and have not even a passing interest in TTU athletics. Today I received a postcard for the O'Reilly Auto Parts Christmas Classic at the American Airlines Arena which also has other area sponsors including a television station and a radio station. This "Classic" is simply a game between Tech and Stanford. The card is good for $5 off the lowest priced ticket which is $29. Maybe it is just me, but I find it frustrating that they can get a sponsored non conference game in our area which I am sure will receive press coverage. Why don't these guys sponser a tournament featuring local Universities?

My wife and I both have advanced degrees from Texas Tech and receive regular mailings regarding events. I only follow the Mean Green and have not even a passing interest in TTU athletics. Today I received a postcard for the O'Reilly Auto Parts Christmas Classic at the American Airlines Arena which also has other area sponsors including a television station and a radio station. This "Classic" is simply a game between Tech and Stanford. The card is good for $5 off the lowest priced ticket which is $29. Maybe it is just me, but I find it frustrating that they can get a sponsored non conference game in our area which I am sure will receive press coverage. Why don't these guys sponser a tournament featuring local Universities?

Attendance. But yeah, I agree. NT and TCU would by far bring in the most fans, but a tournament involving the four local D1 schools would be interesting. Something that should be worked on.

Attendance. But yeah, I agree. NT and TCU would by far bring in the most fans, but a tournament involving the four local D1 schools would be interesting. Something that should be worked on.

Sorry. It can't happen until UTA replaces its sorry-ass excuse of a gym. There - I said it first to save you all the trouble. Hope is high and we are optimistic Arlington will finally get a new arena soon (maybe not next year, but sooner than Fouts II will be built) and a local foursome round-robin will make sense. The other issue keeping us from such a tournament is that the church schools' teams are not good enough lately to draw well. It's natural for all four programs to have their ups and downs, but to get a tournament started, we will have to have the basketball equivalent of a total eclipse - four great teams and four great arenas. Right now, UNT is the only one of the four that is anywhere close to being ready. <_<

Sorry. It can't happen until UTA replaces its sorry-ass excuse of a gym. There - I said it first to save you all the trouble. Hope is high and we are optimistic Arlington will finally get a new arena soon (maybe not next year, but sooner than Fouts II will be built) and a local foursome round-robin will make sense. The other issue keeping us from such a tournament is that the church schools' teams are not good enough lately to draw well. It's natural for all four programs to have their ups and downs, but to get a tournament started, we will have to have the basketball equivalent of a total eclipse - four great teams and four great arenas. Right now, UNT is the only one of the four that is anywhere close to being ready. <_<

Watched the TCU and SMU game last week and the commentator said he would love to see a holiday tourney where all the metro colleges got together in a tourney. can't be bad.

To think that the two most disappointing (and losing) teams in the entire state of Texas are TCU and the Ponies....why does that make me so very happy?

And TTU brings a heck of a show to the AAC...and Tech is desperate to hold onto the Dallas market for applications to the University (a certain school just north of Dallas is sucking up applications, leading Tech to be stagnant in the growth of the university at a time where most are growing quickly). That's as good of a reason as any.