New Stadium Activity

GreenAlums

I'm not sure that this means very much yet as Mr. and Mrs. Goldfield funded this study several months ago. Supposedly the engineering and environmental studies had been completed prior to the construction of the athletics center so this is the preliminary step in order to sell a product rather than a concept. That does not mean that millions have already been donated/pledged toward that goal.

Remember, we do not have to have the entire project pledged before we can start construction. Since the stadium will produce revenue, it's likely that stadium bonds will be issued. That will happen when the Board of Regents is convinced that the combination of pledges and attendance figures are sufficient to expect a reasonable probability that the bonds can be retired on schedule.

As to potential donors, I would expect at least one bank, perhaps more to be a seven figure contributor.

They funded a feasability study. This is the pre-cursor to the engineering design effort.

I'm confused. As GreyEagleOne mentions, didn't we already do the major studies for this stadium site, even producing a stadium design and concept video? Why would we have to redo the studies again? I think the previous design itself could be better (yes, I volunteer to help decide what the stadium should look like! B) ).

Also, it was mentioned in one of the request statements that something like dual classroom or academic space incorporated into the stadium could be considered. Would academic space qualify for state funding towards partial construction?

Any stadium talk is encouraging, I want to hear more...... :)

The video and pictures that you saw were just design concepts. What has to happen now is for some engineers to sit down and do the detailed design of the stadium (how much concrete, what kind of steel, how many toilets and light fixtures).

Once the detailed design is complete, the University will go have some construction firms quote how much it will cost to build the stadium per the blue prints.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DMN blurb was just a small portion of the whole DRC article posted here:

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38420

Link to Star Telegram article under "college notes" section:

http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sport...ory/346989.html

UNT seeks architect

According to bid-proposal documents made public by the University of North Texas, architect/engineering firms are being sought to design a proposed 30,000- to 35,000-seat football stadium to be built across Interstate 35E from UNT's current stadium, Fouts Field.

Expandable to 50,000 seats, the stadium would include a press box, club lounge and luxury suites, food services, retail facilities, ticket offices, locker rooms, academic and meeting spaces.

"We've got funding in place to get an architect and start the process," UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said. "We're going to be on schedule to develop the design and eventually for construction."

Firms are expected to meet a Wednesday deadline for UNT's "request for qualifications." Formal interviews are expected to begin the week of Jan. 7, with the selected firm to be notified and contracted by Feb. 7.

Despite potential blueprints, it's unknown how soon UNT can break ground.

According to UNT officials, the project could cost $50 million to $60 million, a portion of which must be raised be through private donations before ground is broken.

-- Troy Phillips

A portion? I thought that all of it had to be private donations.

According to UNT officials, the project could cost $50 million to $60 million, a portion of which must be raised be through private donations before ground is broken.

-- Troy Phillips

Yes, all private donations, but not all needed before construction can begin. Bonds could be used and paid back later with more private donations.

I know it's like taking money out of one pocket and moving it the other....but why doesn't the state (I don't know Transportation or some division) help with funding? Can't we sell the land they to them for the easment for a pretty penny?? I know....UT and ATM would go nuts to give up some f their money tohelp us get a new stadium. OK Chancelor Jackson, get that political MoJo going in Austin.

UNT seeks architect

According to bid-proposal documents made public by the University of North Texas, architect/engineering firms are being sought to design a proposed 30,000- to 35,000-seat football stadium to be built across Interstate 35E from UNT's current stadium, Fouts Field.

Expandable to 50,000 seats, the stadium would include a press box, club lounge and luxury suites, food services, retail facilities, ticket offices, locker rooms, academic and meeting spaces.

"We've got funding in place to get an architect and start the process," UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said. "We're going to be on schedule to develop the design and eventually for construction."

Firms are expected to meet a Wednesday deadline for UNT's "request for qualifications." Formal interviews are expected to begin the week of Jan. 7, with the selected firm to be notified and contracted by Feb. 7.

Despite potential blueprints, it's unknown how soon UNT can break ground.

-- Troy Phillips

I have refrained from posting until I could soak all of this in and get a feel for what is really going on. You must read RVs comments carefully. They have money to design the thing. They do not have money to build it...or even announce that we are building it. When we get the big-daddy donor who comes forward with a 20-30 million dollar gift, we won't have to guess about this process. There will then be a media announcment and celebration...AKA T. Boone Pickens! We don't have that yet. We are designing the project so that we can truly start the fundraising process. Everyone really needs to cool their jets. The only other thing that could speed this up is a student fee that is pushed through to fund it. I am not getting too worked up about this.

I have refrained from posting until I could soak all of this in and get a feel for what is really going on. You must read RVs comments carefully. They have money to design the thing. They do not have money to build it...or even announce that we are building it. When we get the big-daddy donor who comes forward with a 20-30 million dollar gift, we won't have to guess about this process. There will then be a media announcment and celebration...AKA T. Boone Pickens! We don't have that yet. We are designing the project so that we can truly start the fundraising process. Everyone really needs to cool their jets. The only other thing that could speed this up is a student fee that is pushed through to fund it. I am not getting too worked up about this.

I understand and am as cautious as possible but....In the world of A&E as well as construction companies, you will not get their attention nor will they take a RFQ serious if they think the funding is not available or at least appropriately planned. It's a small industry at that level and they wouldn't even talk to us otherwise. The funding detail is usually discussed in the RFQ when it goes out. We didn't get the priviledge of seeing that level of the detail. I seriously believe we have more funding than what has been shared with us since we are still in the silent phase of fund raising. I will feel better when I see some of the better company RFQs posted back to UNT. That will tell me whether or not they took us serious. I'm certainly still welcoming T. Boone Pickens to drop by a little Christmas present for our new stadium if he so desires!!

GMG!!

I understand and am as cautious as possible but....In the world of A&E as well as construction companies, you will not get their attention nor will they take a RFQ serious if they think the funding is not available or at least appropriately planned. It's a small industry at that level and they wouldn't even talk to us otherwise. The funding detail is usually discussed in the RFQ when it goes out. We didn't get the priviledge of seeing that level of the detail. I seriously believe we have more funding than what has been shared with us since we are still in the silent phase of fund raising. I will feel better when I see some of the better company RFQs posted back to UNT. That will tell me whether or not they took us serious. I'm certainly still welcoming T. Boone Pickens to drop by a little Christmas present for our new stadium if he so desires!!

GMG!!

Would an RFQ even be asked for if this project was still 5-10 years from starting? How could costs be realistically projected if there was not a firm timetable on start and completion dates? 2010 has been floated. I understand the desire for the single BIG $20-30 million donor but I don't envision that happening. How about bonding the project out and paying back with future smaller donations and revenue? I think there are timelines with TxDOT and I-35E and the University planning for the use of current Fouts land. Fouts is on death watch. It will be gone soon, new stadium funding or not.

Edited by NT80