Hello Mean Green!

ASUWarChief

Would you sneer at this issue if we were talking about the Washington Wetbacks of the NFL and the Cleveland Mexicans? It seems ridiculous to me that we're willing to tolerate a racist Sambo character like Chief Wahoo -- displayed prominently in the World Series on the caps, dugouts and other gear of the Indians -- years and years after blackface pantomime and characters like Amos n' Andy were drummed out of pop culture. What reason can be possibly sufficient to explain why Native Americans are singled out for this treatment?

Rcade I think you are wrong in your statements. TOOOOOOOOO polically correct here. A number of schools that have Indian nicknames have the support of the Indian tribes. I seem to remember at least two that supported the college useage one being the Florida State Seminoles. I guess we should change the name of the state of Illinois...because it is named after an Indian tribe and the Illinois Fighting Illini should therefore change their name also.

Of course people in Sioux City, Iowa might not want to change its name.... Another example...we shouldn't upset the Cajuns and make Louisiana Laf stop their use of the word Cajuns. Actually Sooners for OU is a derogatory name in Oklahoma history....for those who cheated and crossed the line to claim land before it was legal to do so I guess OU should not glorify an illegal act in the name that schools choses to use.

Lets don't bring political correctness to play here. Its the perogrative of a school to chose their own nickname and not for us to say they can't or shouldn't use the name they chose.

Would you sneer at this issue if we were talking about the Washington Wetbacks of the NFL and the Cleveland Mexicans? It seems ridiculous to me that we're willing to tolerate a racist Sambo character like Chief Wahoo -- displayed prominently in the World Series on the caps, dugouts and other gear of the Indians -- years and years after blackface pantomime and characters like Amos n' Andy were drummed out of pop culture. What reason can be possibly sufficient to explain why Native Americans are singled out for this treatment?

Rcade I think you are wrong in your statements. TOOOOOOOOO polically correct here. A number of schools that have Indian nicknames have the support of the Indian tribes. I seem to remember at least two that supported the college useage of their name, one being the Florida State Seminoles. I guess we should change the name of the state of Illinois...because it is named after an Indian tribe and the Illinois Fighting Illini should therefore change their name also.

Of course people in Sioux City, Iowa might not want to change its name.... Another example...we shouldn't upset the Cajuns and should make Louisiana Laf stop their use of the word Cajuns. Actually Sooners for OU is a derogatory name in Oklahoma history....for those who cheated and crossed the line to claim land before it was legal to do so I guess OU should not glorify an illegal act in the name that schools choses to use.

Lets don't bring political correctness to play here. Its the perogrative of a school to chose their own nickname and not for us to say they can't or shouldn't use the name they chose.

Rcade I think you are wrong in your statements. TOOOOOOOOO polically correct here. ... Lets don't bring political correctness to play here. Its the perogrative of a school to chose their own nickname and not for us to say they can't or shouldn't use the name they chose.

And it's the prerogative of the NCAA to refuse to host tournaments at schools with mascots the organization deems offensive. Arkansas State chose to dump its mascot of many years, and I applaud the move. I didn't bring the subject up here. I spoke up because I'm glad the Sun Belt schools took this step. In the long run, I hope it improves their marketing. "Indians" is not only controversial, but like "Eagles" was for us, dull due to so much use elsewhere.

In my opinion, dismissing something as "political correctness" is a pretty weak rationale for disagreeing with it. The term has no meaning anymore. It's just another way of saying "I disagree with what you said."

Rcade I think you are wrong in your statements. TOOOOOOOOO polically correct here. A number of schools that have Indian nicknames have the support of the Indian tribes. I seem to remember at least two that supported the college useage one being the Florida State Seminoles. I guess we should change the name of the state of Illinois...because it is named after an Indian tribe and the Illinois Fighting Illini should therefore change their name also.

Of course people in Sioux City, Iowa might not want to change its name.... Another example...we shouldn't upset the Cajuns and make Louisiana Laf stop their use of the word Cajuns. Actually Sooners for OU is a derogatory name in Oklahoma history....for those who cheated and crossed the line to claim land before it was legal to do so I guess OU should not glorify an illegal act in the name that schools choses to use.

Not only is the Cajun nickname offensive, they are Ragin Cajuns. The nerve!! Why do they have to be ragin?!? I fully support any & all schools who chose to fight the NCAA ridiculous ban on Indian nicknames. Seminoles, Chippawas, Utes & Illini are OK to keep using their nicknames, as per their Indian tribes. The problem with Arkansas State & La-Monroe is their nicknames were too generic. What Indian tribe can vouch for you when you are just the "Indians"?. Screw the NCAA & their P.C. police. That's my hot sports opinion for the night...

More innocuous names like "Indians" lend themselves to "Scalp the Indians!" and other derogatory use by the fans of opposing teams.

I thought the Indians scalped the Cowboys? The only things scalped now are tickets. Didn't we have "Sink Navy" shirts last week? Isn't that just as bad as scalping indians or hookin' em with your horns, or wreckin' 'em like tech?

I thought the Indians scalped the Cowboys? The only things scalped now are tickets. Didn't we have "Sink Navy" shirts last week?

As I recall, the original proposed version of those "Sink Navy" shirts had a sinking destroyer on it, which was removed when several people on GMG voiced their opinion that the graphic was in poor taste.

I agree with a lot of what rcade has said. Dump the Indian mascots and any usage of the likeness. We should treat the Native Americans just like any other American. Start taxing their lands, businesses and income. We should never show favoritism towards one group of Americans. If the Native Americans are going to be protected by our government and military, let them pay their share. Equal rights for all Americans.

What a bunch of whiny crap in this thread. A bunch of mind-washed political correct insanity that has gripped this nation with fear. I am so sick of it. We are too sensitive, America. We've become a bunch of panty-waste wussies to the point that Steve-O can ACTUALLY have a weekly show pointing out exactly how weak spined most of us are.

We might as well fold the tent, folks - the rest of the world has figured out we're a bunch of wussies. This country has become a paper tiger. We'll let you attack our buildings, kill 3000 and then we'll engage in a political war run out of Washington and do everything we can not to kill the Civillians (who are parading in the streets cheering as the towers fell...) Oh, you are developing Nuclear weapons? Really? Neat-O! You're going to aim them at us and our Allies? Really? COOL! OH, WOW! You actually state, out loud, that you're going to use them on one of our allies the moment you have them at your disposal? SUPER! What are we going to do about it? SANCTIONS! THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!!!!!!!! No american products for you! That's right. Those flanel and fleece shirts we still acutally make in this country will be unavailable to you. ...but you can have all the stuff you want from China (including military equipment). That'll work. They'll stop making nuclear weapons so they can buy products with the "Made Proudly in the USA" label.

We'll let people pevert the language and assign negativitiy to WORDS instead of actions and thoughts. We'll become over sensitive when someone uses a Mascot the UBER-MINORTITY has a problem with, and we'll ditch it just to avoid the spotlight. Most men I know are afraid of their wives, much less the scruitiny of the media.

We've got a Female presidential cantidate who nobody knows how to handle - do we ask her the tough questions? We'll get accused of attacking a woman. HEY, if she can't stand up to Tim Russert, she can't stand up to Machmood Am-agh-denijad. (I know it's spelled wrong, what's it to ya?)

The only people who have any balls in this country anymore are the Military, and the Public Servants (Fire/Rescue/Police) who put their asses on the line every day for you and I while we drive our Volvo's, Audi's and SAAAAAAAAB's to Starbucks to get our triple mocha late with no-fat milk on the way to our 8 hour daily sentence in our Cubicle.

THEN we allow them to take away Indians as mascots... BUT WE LET 'EM TAKE CHRISTMAS AWAY TOO!!!!!! What the $%@# is wrong with this country?!?!?! ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

...oh, and I think in a shootout, we're in trouble. ...just thought I'd throw some football in there too.

http://www.universityrelations.und.edu/log...er_6-07-06.html

There was an article in fort worth startle-gram a few months ago about Univ of North Dakota being given a two or three year extention by the NCAA on protect their mascot name: Fighting Sioux......not to be confused with Gene Autry's song Sioux City Sue.

vvz28, I would like to plagerize one of your favorite talk show hosts and tell you that you are a great American.

I will have to agree that this whole "political correctness" is de-balling this great country:

1. why do we have to press 1 for english in America?

2. why do my tax dollars support birthing illegal aliens in America?

3. why are 90% of warrants in DFW for illegals?

4. why are 83% of warrants for murder in Phoenix, AZ for illegals?

5. why are 75% of the "most wanted" in L.A., Phoenix, Albuqurerque are illegals?

6. why are 60% of all occupants of HUD properties illegals?

7. why are 43% of all food stamps issued in America are to illegals?

8. why are 58% of all welfare payments in the US issued to illegals?

9. why is less than 2% of illegals picking crops and 58% on welfare?

10. why is 62% of all illegals in the US not paying taxes?

unfortunately the list goes on....anyone can go to just about any site and get these same stats

Oh yea, mascots:

the ncaa should never have gotten involved. another case of the tail waggin' the dog. one day the dog will wake up. europeans used to say the same about china in the 1800's.

haha you know i was thinking the same thing lol

so are any of ya'll gonna be making the trip up to beautiful northeast arkansas this thursday?

I'll be there. Of course, I live in northeast Arkansas (about an hour and a half away), and wouldn't dream of missing it when the boys come to Jonesboro.

THEN we allow them to take away Indians as mascots... BUT WE LET 'EM TAKE CHRISTMAS AWAY TOO!!!!!!

I'm for the War on Christmas, too. Every year my kids and I gather around the Holidaymas tree to see what Secular Santa has brought. All the gifts are made out of hemp and/or soy.