Fw*telegram Dodge Surprised By Offensive Struggles

OldTimer

You know what it sounds like from Dodge's interviews? It sounds like he's too obsessed with numbers. You know, we want this many three-and-outs on defense, we want this many rushing yards out of these guys, that many out of those guys, such and such a number passing, etc.

Look, the guy's got a good head for offense. But, maybe he just needs to forget about the numbers and coach. Throw out all of the charts and tell the guys to just go out, win their individual assignments, and win each play.

I mean, seriously. Would it make any difference if a team punted to us after five or six plays instead of three? Who cares? Our one win this year shows what can happen if the defense steps up, even if the "passing game" numbers goal isn't met.

Am I crazy here? I don't recall hearing any other coach mention numbers goals so often in interviews. In my twisted mind, the only number that counts should be the score. If we've got more on the scoreboard than them when the scoreboard reads 00:00, I could care less what the numbers are in three-and-outs, QB run yards vs. RB run yards, passing yards...just, please.

Maybe Dodge is collaring himself with this stuff. The game isn't played on paper. The game plan may be on paper, but you've got to be able to change and adapt with the flow of a particular game. Statistics be damned.

If you've been in a number of locker rooms you would see that many coaches have number goals just like coach Dodge and they are written on big boards. A LOT! It's a tangible way to quantify things. It's just another example of someone trying to point out every freaking negative they can. I mean seriously how dumb is this to gripe about? If we had won more games this season you'd be saying, "what a genius giving his players actual numerical goals to try and reach it makes them work harder and forcing more three and outs," etc.

I can't believe I spent time reading this and then responding.

I am sure he was referring to scouting reports and film of Troy which all coaches rely on to build a gameplan. I am also sure TD is aware of his own tendencies and trys to alter his gameplan to throw the other team off, but a team jumping from blitzing 1/5 of the time to 3/4's is rare.

While I agree you prepare for what a team has done historically, after multiple blitzes and say 4 or 5 sacks would you not then make adjustments to prevent the current situation...from maybe 25% blitz protection to 75% blitz protection and call plays to counter Troy's defense?

While I agree you prepare for what a team has done historically, after multiple blitzes and say 4 or 5 sacks would you not then make adjustments to prevent the current situation...from maybe 25% blitz protection to 75% blitz protection and call plays to counter Troy's defense?

You would think it would be a no brainer to do something different at the start of the second half, but.........

You would think it would be a no brainer to do something different at the start of the second half, but.........

TD is just making small adjustments, he might be afraid that after 9 years of no adjustments, we might have a heart attack if he makes any sudden adjustments :P

Guest Aquila_Viridis

One thing that concerns me is that the concept that a team might blitz a lot and what to do about it are something of a mystery to the coach. Didn't we expect some more proactive leadership? Go ahead. Flame away, true believers!

One thing that concerns me is that the concept that a team might blitz a lot and what to do about it are something of a mystery to the coach. Didn't we expect some more proactive leadership? Go ahead. Flame away, true believers!

No flame from here. The blitz was as predictable as the sun rising in the morning. What is distressing is the lack of adjustments.

No flame from here. The blitz was as predictable as the sun rising in the morning. What is distressing is the lack of adjustments.

It won't get any easier this week....Vito just posted on his blog that the Muts set a school record for sacks last week of 9 against ASU; and we lost an OL for this week too. :(

The ultimate goal, and the only goal that matters in the end, is to win the game. But you have to break it down into smaller, tangible goals that individual players, units, and staff can focus on, be measured against, and be held accountable for. The measurement and accountability is really important. There's a saying in management that "what gets measured gets done". Sure, wins and losses can be measured, but if you don't break the big goal down into smaller goals, then nobody is truly accountable for their piece of the overall success or failure.

Well, how does one deal with misleading stats? For example, the run/pass balance. The real reason why running plays are near the 40% range is because the NCAA counts sacks as rushing attempts. It has nothing to do with actual run plays called by Dodge per game.

Stats are misleading and can be skewed in many ways for one's benefit (or reporting in this case).

Edited by Got5onIt

Well, how does one deal with misleading stats? For example, the run/pass balance. The real reason why running plays are near the 40% range is because the NCAA counts sacks as rushing attempts. It has nothing to do with actual run plays called by Dodge per game.

Stats are misleading and can be skewed in many ways for one's benefit (or reporting in this case).

It still amazes me how some folks are totally reluctant to give coach any benefit of a doubt. Some of the posts in this thread are so ridiculous that they must be trolls. The argument boils down to "the coaching staff is overanalyzing the stats, which are misleading in the first place, so they should just find a way to win".

The following phrases can be substituted for "find a way to win"....

"Get 'er done"

"Move the chains"

"Make the plays"

"Convert"

"Wrap 'em up"

"Bow up"

"Take it to 'em"

"Bring it"

It's so absurd to believe that anyone would really prefer this type of baloney that I feel foolish for taking any of this seriously.

It still amazes me how some folks are totally reluctant to give coach any benefit of a doubt. Some of the posts in this thread are so ridiculous that they must be trolls. The argument boils down to "the coaching staff is overanalyzing the stats, which are misleading in the first place, so they should just find a way to win".

"Get 'er done"

"Move the chains"

"Make the plays"

"Convert"

"Wrap 'em up"

"Bow up"

"Take it to 'em"

"Bring it"

It's so absurd to believe that anyone would really prefer this type of baloney that I feel foolish for taking any of this seriously.

Well, this board was referred to as the "Idiot Board" at one time. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out why.

Edited by UNTLifer

If you've been in a number of locker rooms you would see that many coaches have number goals just like coach Dodge and they are written on big boards. A LOT! It's a tangible way to quantify things. It's just another example of someone trying to point out every freaking negative they can. I mean seriously how dumb is this to gripe about? If we had won more games this season you'd be saying, "what a genius giving his players actual numerical goals to try and reach it makes them work harder and forcing more three and outs," etc.

I can't believe I spent time reading this and then responding.

You can relate this to racing cars: if you can hit a lap, or section of a track in a certain amount of time, then your odds of winning that race go higher when you fix the smaller details like approach angles and speeds into turns, brake pressure and all that. In other words, if I'm racing and if I can set a goal to come out of turns 1-4 at an extra 4mph than I was before, then I'll get that much more time. And if I can finish laps an extra .25sec faster, that's all the better. If my pit guys can shave a second or two off their time, then great. You add all that together, and that can mean the difference between 1st and 5th place finishes.

This definitely fits into coaching goals for a football team.

Or you know, as was said in Any Given Sunday- you fight for every inch and that can make up the difference between winning and losing.

"Get 'er done"

"Move the chains"

"Make the plays"

"Convert"

"Wrap 'em up"

"Bow up"

"Take it to 'em"

"Bring it"

And the point I made is absurd, how? What's so hard to understand about how the NCAA statistically records rushing attempts? I just merely pointed out the truth to the run/pass ratio & then become labeled a troll??? This from the guy who clams we will raise a statue of Mendoza in front of our athletic center?? :huh:

And the point I made is absurd, how? What's so hard to understand about how the NCAA statistically records rushing attempts? I just merely pointed out the truth to the run/pass ratio & then become labeled a troll??? This from the guy who clams we will raise a statue of Mendoza in front of our athletic center?? :huh:

I shouldn't have quoted your post in my reply. I was just speaking out against the whole notion that statistical analysis is a waste of time.

Regarding the bronze statue, the question isn't IF it's going to happen, but will it be a life-size figure or a bust. I think it's got to be a bust because you'll need room under the statue to list all his defensive coordinator of the year and hall of fame accolades.

Regarding the bronze statue, the question isn't IF it's going to happen, but will it be a life-size figure or a bust. I think it's got to be a bust because you'll need room under the statue to list all his defensive coordinator of the year and hall of fame accolades.

LMAO!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I hope you are right, but at the moment, our defense is struggling. Mendoza has a lot of work to do to get that squad up to par.