Riley Dodge...

I was under the impression that Rodge would be able to eventually be one of the top, if not the top QB in the Sun Belt, but yesterday all of you brought me down to earth. I knew he was 5'11," but the fact that he, as a junior, was the 5-A player of the year had me overlooking that fact. Will he never be a big-time Sun Belt player? I thought he was currently the best recruit of UNT's class.

Edited by I Miss Booger Kennedy

I was under the impression that Rodge would be able to eventually be one of the top, if not the top QB in the Sun Belt, but yesterday all of you brought me down to earth. I knew he was 5'11," but the fact that he, as a junior, was the 5-A player of the year had me overlooking that fact. Will he never be a big-time Sun Belt player? I thought he was currently the best recruit of UNT's class.

He's 17 years old. He'll grow and be a fine QB.

He's as tall as his dad so I can't say his height can possibly be a concern.

Riley is an outstanding player and a natural leader; he's going to do very well at North Texas.

Think about it this way: He's in high school this season and will probably redshirt in 2008.

By the 2012 season I can almost guarantee that he is going to be one bad-ass quarterback that will be able to disect just about any defense.

Are you referring to a specific post or thread from yesterday? I hadn't heard that much negativity about RD on this forum. He's about the same height as Chase Daniel who is a top QB in the Big-12. Although he's not the prototype 6'2 - 6'4 QB frame, RD has all the other attributes... quickness, speed, accuracy, good knowledge of the system and opposing defenses, ability to recognize opportunities and call audibles, etc... He could use a little more weight and muscle for D1 ball, but I imagine that is already a priority in his training. If the other pieces are in place, I think he could definitely be a top Sun Belt QB.

Not sure what you're refering to. Here are some numbers to look at. I used the NCAA formula to calculate this. I also added some stats, like Pass Yards per Comp.

Passing Efficency

Riley Dodge,

Southlake Carroll

Games: 3

Attempts: 95

Completions: 68

Comp. %: 71.6

Int.: 5

Int. %: 5.3

Yards: 1,011

Pass Yards per game: 337

Pass Yards per Comp: 14.9

Pass Yards per Att: 10.6

Pass TDs: 13

TD %: 13.7

QB Rating: 195.60

Total offense

Riley Dodge

Southlake Carroll

Games: 3

Rush Att: 30

Rush Yds: 100

Rush TDs: 0

C-A-I: 68-95-5

Pass Yds: 1011

Pass TDs: 13

Plays: 125

Total Yards: 1111

Yards per play: 8.88

Yards per game:370.3

Total TDs: 13

Hope this helps.

Two things. First, any concerns about his height should be thrown out the window......... he will rarely, if ever, take a snap under center. No drop back passes, so the size of the o-line is not really a factor. Second, he knows this offense. He has been playing within the same system since middle school. For the same reasons that Payton Manning is so good, so will Riley Dodge. He understands the game and will be able to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Case in point, when Riley walks on campus, he will make an immediate impact at the QB position whether he is starting or not. My guess is that Meager will not be starting this time next year or at the end of this season for that matter. He has seen his fair share of opportunites and either needs to start winning or move aside to give the youngster (Vizza) some game time.

Edited by StealthEagle84

Two things. First, any concerns about his height should be thrown out the window......... he will rarely, if ever, take a snap under center. No drop back passes, so the size of the o-line is not really a factor. Second, he knows this offense. He has been playing within the same system since middle school. For the same reasons that Payton Manning is so good, so will Riley Dodge. He understands the game and will be able to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. Case in point, when Riley walks on campus, he will make an immediate impact at the QB position whether he is starting or not. My guess is that Meager will not be starting this time next year or at the end of this season for that matter. He has seen his fare share of opportunites and either needs to start winning or move aside to give the youngster (Vizza) some game time.

He is one of the most humble players I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He has good character and morals, something that UT is apparently lacking when they recruit their football players. They have had so many players in trouble with the law. If I was recruiting a player I woud care more about the kind of character that a recruit had than someone who talked highly of themselves liked the one I was by yesterday from Katy. His father was just as bad as him. Very annoying to sit by.

Are you referring to a specific post or thread from yesterday? I hadn't heard that much negativity about RD on this forum. He's about the same height as Chase Daniel who is a top QB in the Big-12. Although he's not the prototype 6'2 - 6'4 QB frame, RD has all the other attributes... quickness, speed, accuracy, good knowledge of the system and opposing defenses, ability to recognize opportunities and call audibles, etc... He could use a little more weight and muscle for D1 ball, but I imagine that is already a priority in his training. If the other pieces are in place, I think he could definitely be a top Sun Belt QB.

Only about 100% of those I've spoken to among the Mean Green Nation are estatic to have Riley Dodge as a future Mean Greener. Of course, I guess we could go out and recruit a 2'nd string DB from some Texas 3A high school as a project QB that would make a 1 or 2 happy, too. :rolleyes:

Matter of fact, those of us who were around during the Hayden Fry era at UNT would tell you Coach Fry never recruited a QB with the credentials of Riley Dodge. Former Mean Green great Kenny Washington (Joe's little brother) would be the closest one to it, but Kenny never had the Texas HS success at the same level that Riley has.

WELCOME TO MEAN GREEN COUNTRY, RILEY DODGE!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

No negativity rolling around here about Riley? Only one post was negative and we pretty much stomped that? (I still dont know who the "Fake Lonnie Finch" is?)

Most on this board already have his autograph and have penciled him in as an All-American in 2009. Yep, I'm one of those. He is a great kid and a fierce competitor. Any time you get a natural leader from a highly-successful program to commit to your team, you've already won.

Havent seen much on this board to dispute that? We're on-board with Riley!!!

GMG!!!

Riley will make a fine college QB. It will be interesting to see if Tune, Phillips, Vizza, Johnson, or even Meager will transfer after December. I think a lot with have to do with how the rest of the season plays out and how much a kid wants to play. Some kids need the scholarship, some stick on the team regardless of playing time or scholarship. Each kid is different.

But Todd Dodge will make a fine QB during his day. No I didn't say it wrong because his first name is really Todd. Saying Riley is already going to one of the most celebrated players in history at this stage is bold, I will give you that. But if you tell me to book it, then I'll ear mark your post for 2011 and see where history will take us.

The one positive thing about Riley (among others) is that TD will be here for at least the next 5 seasons and possibly beyond depending on his success or not.

Wow, you guys are bold. I hope NT doesn't recruit a running back with the last name Dodge, or a WR with the last name Dodge, hell even a kicker with the last name Dodge. We'll mark them the best ever RB, WR, or Kicker before they even step foot onto a NCAA div 1 football field. We all know the Head Coach, who's name is surprisingly Dodge :rolleyes: , is already the 2nd coming of Jesus. I think I may have to trade in my Cadillac CTS-V for a Dodge Charger, or better yet, my wifes Trailblazer SS for a Dodge Durango!! Let's force all dealers in Denton to start selling Dodge's only, we won't even allow their parent companies to sell Chrysler's or Jeeps!!!!!!!!! Let's force Wal-Mart off loop 288 to change it's name to Dodge Mart!!! It will be the best store ever!!!!!! My neighborhood can change it's name from Ryan Ranch to Dodge's Ranch!! I've got Dodge tattooed on my forehead, can't you tell I'm a certified genius now????!!!!! The world is so much better already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bangin::blowup:

On a serious note, I am very excited about a player of Riley's caliber coming to NT. But I'll reserve judgment on his impact & playing ability at the D1 level after he plays a down or two. B)

Edited by Got5onIt