Besides The Band Looking Like Crap.

RETSO

I am just trying to help our schools image. Here are my painful observations from the tailgate party and section 35.

*(disregard if you are over 60 years of age)

1st. JORTS (Jean shorts) went out in about 1991.

I think we have more jort wearing fans per captia than any other university!

2nd. Never, ever, under any circumstances tuck in a Jersey. We had jerseys tucked into jorts.

3rd. The braided belt has got to go...especially when it is attached to jorts and a tucked in jersey.

I dont kow if it was the 79-10 score or bottle of crown royal, but my eyes were opened up the JORT epidemic that is running wild in the UNT fan base.

Lets have a JORTS free weekend in Dallas next week.

Just say NO to JORTS!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I applaude the band director for making the decision to allow the band to finally wear T shirts, shorts and a simple baseball cap for the first, and usually, the hottest performance of the year.

Last year, and the 20 years before, we have traveled out of town to Austin('02 was the worst), Lubbock, Norman, Baton Rouge etc and watched the other schools allow their kids to discard their full, triple twill whatever sweat vests for a cooler outfit while our kids suffered dearly.

As with many things now days, we are finally getting this right.

"Sound" and "safety", not "look" is all that matters when it's 100 degrees on the field and in the stands.

Rick

Lol, obviously not, buddy. OU fans themselves told me we outplayed and outmarched their group. If you really have a problem with the way we support our team, contact Mr. Williams yourself instead of complaining on this message board. I guarantee that our athletic dept. and Dr. B. have no problem with how the GB performs and supports.

Get real.

Well, MGB, I did write Mr. Williams a letter before the season started. I mentioned some of the things I mentioned here. I even asked for the favor of a reply. Still waiting.

I asked that we promote our University rather than YAMAHA on the drum heads. Well, we're not promoting Yamaha, but "Premire Remo Weather King" heads. I bet when Weather King puts on a demo, they're not wearing t-shirts and black socks and shorts.

I really don't want to start something with you or any other Mean Green fan, but last night was awful. The OU band ran into Owens field. They ran onto and off of the field at halftime. And they played in every aisle they could squeeze 50 or 60 bandsmen.

I want someone to tell me that the OU band is tougher and has more energy than the Green Brigade. And by the way, they had NO Green on last night.

And again, please look like "the showcase of spirit and pride" that the Green Brigade is touted to be, or stay home.

You're showing a disappointing lack of class and manners. If you want customized summer uniforms and UNT-printed drum heads, write the U a check for them.

To blast the band is just immature.

Ok, just read what I said on the other blog. But seriously, I can't believe some of the things you complain about. Remo and Yamaha have sponsored us...they're just drum heads!! Many schools use the same.

So...OU ran on to the field. Cool? I guess I just look for different things when I watch a marching performance. I'm not going to argue with someone that has no idea what they're talking about.

Now I know why some of my friends on football teams across the country don't read the fan boards.

I am just trying to help our schools image. Here are my painful observations from the tailgate party and section 35.

*(disregard if you are over 60 years of age)

1st. JORTS (Jean shorts) went out in about 1991.

I think we have more jort wearing fans per captia than any other university!

2nd. Never, ever, under any circumstances tuck in a Jersey. We had jerseys tucked into jorts.

3rd. The braided belt has got to go...especially when it is attached to jorts and a tucked in jersey.

I dont kow if it was the 79-10 score or bottle of crown royal, but my eyes were opened up the JORT epidemic that is running wild in the UNT fan base.

Lets have a JORTS free weekend in Dallas next week.

Just say NO to JORTS!

AMEN, brother. Especially # 2 !!!

GO MEAN GREEN !!!

So...OU ran on to the field. Cool? I guess I just look for different things when I watch a marching performance. I'm not going to argue with someone that has no idea what they're talking about.

Like what? If you care enough to tell the guy he doesn't know what he's talking about, tell the rest of us what makes a good marching performance.

It was OU's stadium - of course they will let their band run on!

The black shoes and the black socks - they wear those because that is part of the normal uniform and students already have those items. The band members don't get any say in the t-shirts they are handed to wear to the first game. They will be in full uniform at SMU as they were last year at home against SMU.

I guess your glass is half empty. Sorry about that. I second that suggestion - send a check to the Green Brigade to help finance expenses that aren't in the budget of the school or the band student. The band student is already giving a lot time and heart towards supporting the football team and school.

Proud Mom of a Green Brigade Trumpet Player and UNT

Edited by CawClaw

thank god, someone understood the meaning of the post.

I understood. It got me thinking about all the other ways they're obviously better than us.

Their cheerleaders wore sexier outfits -- ours were a JOKE! And they have HORSES pulling their wagon, while we just have PEOPLE manning our cannon! What's up with that? I complained about that the last time we played OU, and even wrote a letter to the regents demanding changes. Did I even get a reply? NO! When are going to take mammalian competition seriously?

And I bet their equipment manager keeps their Powerade at a cool 34 degrees, while ours is at least 36! 36 -- that's strictly JUCO! When are we going to learn?

And for God's sake, University of Oklahoma has 10 syllables, and University of North Texas thinks nine is good enough! And Oklahoma has a FAMOUS MUSICAL named after it, and North Texas doesn't have a musical about it at all! What does that tell you?

But while enjoying these musings about how much we suck, I found the thread hijacked by people who really do think everything sucks.

Sigh.

The first step is admitting we have a problem.

I personally destroyed all my JORTS in a JORTS bonfire back in 1995.

Lets make it a JORTS free weekend in Dallas. With your help, we can make a difference

Edited by RETSO

Stop the jorts, yes, and to that one guy that wore the green thong, black suspenders, and assless chaps, please, don't do that again.

Well I had to cover myself with something after I took off my jorts! Geez, I think this is turning into an Smu gay thread. I promise to either have a polo player or an alligator on all of my accessories next week at Owenby II. I hope that makes you fashion "fellas" deliriously happy!