2003 Defense Vs. 2007 Defense

I think if the secondary holds this year, this defense could be something special...MAYBE as good as the '03 defense which may have been the best since the Greene era. Lets compare:

Defensive Line: 2003

• DE. Adrian Awasom
  • DT. Brandon Kennedy
  • DT. Evan Cardwell
  • DE. Eli Hutchinson
Defensive Line: 2007
  • DE. Jeremiah Chapman
  • DT. Montay Stevenson
  • DT. Joseph Miller
  • DE. Blake Burruss
Clearly the nod goes to the 2003 group. Cardwell was extremely underated, and as good as Stevenson and Chapman have been, Awasom and Kennedy were two of the best to ever man the front four for the Mean Green

Linebackers : 2003

• OLB: Taylor Casey
  • MLB. Chris Hurd
  • OLB. Cody Spencer
Linebackers : 2007
  • OLB. Maurice Holman
  • MLB. Derek Mendoza
  • OLB. Brandon Monroe
I'm calling this a wash at the starting position...and a clear 07 advantage in terms of depth. The 03 group played so well off each other, and complimented a dominating defensive line very well. This years corp has more athleticism.

Secondary : 2003

• CB. Jeremy Pearl
  • FS. Jonas Buckles
  • SS. Craig Jones
  • CB. Walter Priestly
Secondary : 2007
  • CB. Latif Nurudeen
  • FS. Aaron Weathers
  • SS. Desmon Chapman
  • CB. Antoine Bush
Even with Loren, we would've been saying this secondary was inexperienced. The 03 starters were 3 seniors and a junior. I think there's potential in our current group to eventually be as good as this 03 group, but the advantage is clearly with 03.

Linebackers : 2003
  • OLB: Taylor Casey
  • MLB. Chris Hurd
  • OLB. Cody Spencer
Linebackers : 2007
  • OLB. Maurice Holman
  • MLB. Derek Mendoza
  • OLB. Brandon Monroe
I'm calling this a wash at the starting position...and a clear 07 advantage in terms of depth. The 03 group played so well off each other, and complimented a dominating defensive line very well. This years corp has more athleticism.

I can agree with depth, but the LBs from 03 were some of the best we have had in recent memory (Brad Kassel notwhithstanding). Not to say that this group isn't very talented, but before seeing them play this season, I can't say that they are as good/better than the 03 guys.

I give the advantage to the 03' defense almost across the board. You make a good point about the depth of this years linebacking corp but I still feel that the Hurd, Casey, Spencer lineup played really well together and made up for any lack of athleticism with smart play and intestinal fortitude. The Booger/Awasom combination was truly something to watch. I just don't see us currently having a guy in this years lineup with the potential to truly take over a game (like Kennedy did against NMSU and MTSU in 02') on the defensive line. Stevenson looks like a beast this year and hopefully he can show us something special. Finally, Jones and Buckles really caused a lot of problems for opposing teams. I believe in the 03' season, Jones and Buckles were listed in many publications as a "Top 5" safety combination in the nation. They could really lay the wood (insert Quoner comment :D ) to receivers and tight ends coming across the field.

On paper, the 07' defense has some really good talent, but I really can't see them being the machine that was the 03' squad.

Edited by Green Lantern

I see 2 NFL players on the '03 team, one of whom that was taken in the NFL draft. How many on the current squad have a shot at being drafted? I'm not discounting the current team's ability to be great but you really have to look at the difference between the offense we had with the one we have now. The defense was responsible for quite a few of those 26 consecutive conference wins.

Switch Booger with a DT from 07, and 07 would be better. He made those linebackers, secondary, and other lineman look really good. Let's not forget how truly dominant he was.

I kinda hinted around that idea...but stopped short of asking: "how good were those linebackers without that dominant D-line?" Certainly not meant as a slight for the trio...just curios if we regard them as highly as we do if they were playing behind the 07 line.

I see 2 NFL players on the '03 team, one of whom that was taken in the NFL draft. How many on the current squad have a shot at being drafted? I'm not discounting the current team's ability to be great but you really have to look at the difference between the offense we had with the one we have now. The defense was responsible for quite a few of those 26 consecutive conference wins.

Weathers is the only one with a shot at the next level!