Size?

The focus of possible signings has been guards and wings...it seems the idea is since we lost 3 last year, we need to add 3 this year. If we sign anybody else under 6'8" it had better be a D-I transfer who will make a big impact in 08-09 (Marquez Haynes). We need size...3 seniors and 2 juniors next season in the frontcourt, and only one of those juniors has proven consistant...meaning you would have one proven commodity in 08-09. Another D-1 transfer would be great to tuck away and maybe what you'll find waiting this late. I saw mention of Miss St having 4 transfer out...anybody have any word on those players, or any other D-1 transfers?

If JJ does ink another wing...I fear it may be an indictment on his hopes for Collin Mangrum. When you recruit a freshman, you hope that he's contributing as a junior if hes a big, and as a sophomore if hes a guard. Quincey just came into his own as a junior, Wat and Sturns were seeing consistant minutes by the end of their freshman seasons. If Mangrum were ready to be in the rotation, Thompson or Smith would no longer be on JJ's radar. UNT runs what is basically a 3 guard line-up...so a five man rotation is ideal: Watson, Young, Davis, Sturns, Bell last year; if you ink lets say Thompson: 07-08 - Dennis, Sturns, Bell, McCoy, McCoy; 08-09 Dennis, McCoy, McCoy, Thompson and new point. Mangrum seems to progressivly be the man out.

Vito seemed to imply the staff was high on Mangrum a few weeks ago. But that analysis seems to indicate otherwise. Well argued Censored By Laurie.

I've been wanting a big guy signed this whole time period. Next season we're fine, but the year after things look grim.

Vito seemed to imply the staff was high on Mangrum a few weeks ago. But that analysis seems to indicate otherwise. Well argued Censored By Laurie.

I've been wanting a big guy signed this whole time period. Next season we're fine, but the year after things look grim.

My feeling is NT will sign Tistran and with its last ship take a big man transfer to sit out next year. If we don't get Tistran I would bet on Marquiz Haynes and a big man transfer both having to sit out next year or two big transfers to sit out.

Perhaps JJ has much more faith in Howerton than we do. I can definitely see Harold Stewart as a starting big man for us and playing a huge role in our success after Quncy/Wooden leave. His performance at the end of the season was spectacular. That would make Howerton and Stewart as our 2 bigs after Quincy/Wooden. JJ obviously felt signing guards was more important. He must feel comfortable with the Howerton/Stewart combo, though I'm not sure that I am.