T Dodge Speaks Out On Riley To Ut

DeepGreen

North Texas still in the news. From Bob West's column this morning.

"Ever since Southlake Carroll quarterback Riley Dodge committed to Texas a few weeks ago, I’ve wondered how Todd Dodge agreed to let his son go anywhere other than North Texas, especially to a school that probably won’t use him as a QB. I finally found out Friday. “Since Riley is pretty much what we’re looking for at North Texas — we aren’t hung up on whether a player is 5-11 of 6-3 — it wasn’t easy,” Todd said. “But he grew up with his room painted burnt orange. He loves the Longhorns. And I trust Mack Brown and Greg Davis. They were both honest about recruiting him as an athlete. We had a family meeting before he went to their junior day and decided if they offered him and that’s what he wanted, he should take it. As a dad, I’m excited about him playing for my alma mater. As a coach, I’m going to miss him. He’ll be on one the top three quarterbacks in the state as a senior and we could have used him. Texas is one of only three or four schools I would have approved.”

Mosely to be in Denton for game today.

"Nobody was more unhappy than Nederland’s Larry Neumann when the roster of the South team for the July 31 THSCA All-Star game in Fort Worth was announced without the name of the Bulldogs 4A All-State standout Micah Mosley. “I was astonished and disappointed,” Neumann said. “I felt like he had the best credentials of anybody we’ve ever nominated. I know there are a lot of factors that play into the selections, but I think Micah deserved to be on that team.” Mosley, incidentally, is in Denton today to watch North Texas’ Green-White spring game."

North Texas still in the news. From Bob West's column this morning.

"Ever since Southlake Carroll quarterback Riley Dodge committed to Texas a few weeks ago, I’ve wondered how Todd Dodge agreed to let his son go anywhere other than North Texas, especially to a school that probably won’t use him as a QB. I finally found out Friday. “Since Riley is pretty much what we’re looking for at North Texas — we aren’t hung up on whether a player is 5-11 of 6-3 — it wasn’t easy,” Todd said. “But he grew up with his room painted burnt orange. He loves the Longhorns. And I trust Mack Brown and Greg Davis. They were both honest about recruiting him as an athlete. We had a family meeting before he went to their junior day and decided if they offered him and that’s what he wanted, he should take it. As a dad, I’m excited about him playing for my alma mater. As a coach, I’m going to miss him. He’ll be on one the top three quarterbacks in the state as a senior and we could have used him. Texas is one of only three or four schools I would have approved.”

February 9, 2008 is a loooong time away. I still have this sneaky feeling that one of three things will happen:

1. Riley will give more thought to riding the pine at UT vs. starting at QB for UNT, decommit from Texas and commit to UNT.

2. UT will have second thoughts about Riley's value as an "athlete" and, having interest in more recruits than they have available scholarships, will withdraw Riley's offer so they can fulfill a real need. (I don't think Mack would really do this, but it is a possiblity nonetheless.)

3. Riley will spend one or two years at UT, grow tired of playing scout team waterboy, and transfer to UNT.

February 9, 2008 is a loooong time away. I still have this sneaky feeling that one of three things will happen:

1. Riley will give more thought to riding the pine at UT vs. starting at QB for UNT, decommit from Texas and commit to UNT.

2. UT will have second thoughts about Riley's value as an "athlete" and, having interest in more recruits than they have available scholarships, will withdraw Riley's offer so they can fulfill a real need. (I don't think Mack would really do this, but it is a possiblity nonetheless.)

3. Riley will spend one or two years at UT, grow tired of playing scout team waterboy, and transfer to UNT.

Certainly not beyond the realm of possibilities. If Vizza RS's this year or next, Riley's chances of starting before his senior year could be rather limited. Would likely be a nice luxury to have them both at two deep in a few years but I guess only time will tell.

No way in hell would this happen.

I agree. Mack Brown is a Class act when it comes to coaching. He is not going to do #2. As for Vizza, I think he could come in and play a lot this year.

I think it's great that Mack Brown can afford to honor those scholarships. You see, he can be generous with and $85,000,000 athletic budget, and still growing!

I think it's great that Mack Brown can afford to honor those scholarships. You see, he can be generous with and $85,000,000 athletic budget, and still growing!

I wouldn't think their budget, 85 mil or 85 bil, has anything to do with schollies. NCAA rules dicate how many they give (regardless of budget), so I think his honoring of Nader's offer is commendable.

No way in hell would this happen.

Well, I did say it was unlikely to occur. I've just noticed that a trend of rescinding ship offers seems to be developing lately. And, Mack's about the last person who would ever do something like that...still it IS a possibility. It's also slightly possible that Mack could accept another coaching position at someplace like Notre Dame, Michigan, Florida State or the NFL and the new coaching staff at UT could choose to not honor Riley's scholarship offer. (Just for the record, I don't think there's a chance in Hell that would happen either.)

I think #1 is probably already happening. How many practices/scrimmages has he already attended here at UNT? The spring game attendance/atmosphere yesterday had to help us. I would bet he's playing wait-n-see with Vizza...if Vizza comes out and wins the job or looks like a player, he's more likely to stick with UT.

If Riley's room has been orange and white since birth and he bleeds those colors, he may stick with TU. Even if he merely suits up for games each year at Memorial Stadium but never plays, he just may be satisfied. Some kids are like that. However, if he's competitive enough, then he could change his mind.