Midland College Guard Commits To Unt

Vito Blog

UNT lands first hoops recruit

Midland College point guard Ryan McCoy confirmed what has long been suspected on Thursday. He is headed to North Texas.

McCoy said in a phone interview that he has orally committed to UNT and will sign with the Mean Green next week.

McCoy was teammates with Calvin Watson at Houston Madison and signed with Tulsa before spending two years in junior college. He won a JUCO national title at Arkansas-Fort Smith before transferring to Midland, where he won a second straight national title last season.

McCoy is expected to play the point for UNT and provide a veteran backup for Ben Bell while also playing some at the shooting guard spot.

McCoy was the 40th ranked player in Texashoops.com's state rankings after his senior year at Madison. The 5-11 guard has never been a high scorer on the college level, but can handle the ball and hand out assists while running a team's offense.

For more on McCoy, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle or check our web site at www.dentonrc.com late tonight.

This addresses my biggest concern for next season. Next up, a scorer who can take up the slack left by C-Wat and KD....Joseph Fulce PLEASE sign. Or maybe Busby-Hayden?

This takes Sturns out of the part time pg playing time, but could help shore up the shooting guard position

Vito Blog

UNT lands first hoops recruit

Midland College point guard Ryan McCoy confirmed what has long been suspected on Thursday. He is headed to North Texas.

McCoy said in a phone interview that he has orally committed to UNT and will sign with the Mean Green next week.

McCoy was teammates with Calvin Watson at Houston Madison and signed with Tulsa before spending two years in junior college. He won a JUCO national title at Arkansas-Fort Smith before transferring to Midland, where he won a second straight national title last season.

McCoy is expected to play the point for UNT and provide a veteran backup for Ben Bell while also playing some at the shooting guard spot.

McCoy was the 40th ranked player in Texashoops.com's state rankings after his senior year at Madison. The 5-11 guard has never been a high scorer on the college level, but can handle the ball and hand out assists while running a team's offense.

For more on McCoy, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle or check our web site at www.dentonrc.com late tonight.

I couldn't find this kid anywhere on the stat books for Midland JC in their title run. I see his picture, that he was on the roster ,and that he has had injury problems. I trust Johnny to know good talent. I am just concerned about signing JUCO kids witt injury problems - ex. Johnathon Jackson.

Yes, I agree that Sturns or Dennis could play the two, but we need an athletic 6-4 to 6-6 three that can get to the whole and hit the medium range jumper.