Drc Vitto Blog..nt,smu And Bb Recruiting..differences

OldTimer

March 27, 2007

UNT, SMU and basketball recruiting

Ever since SMU brought in Matt Doherty as its head men's basketball coach after last season, the question of how his arrival would affect North Texas in recruiting has lingered.

After watching who SMU has received commitments from over the last few months, it appears as if the Mean Green might not go up against the Ponies as often as expected in recruiting the next few years.

UNT has recruited the vast majority of its players from Texas under head coach Johnny Jones. Doherty and SMU appear as if they might cast their net a little farter. SMU has seven commitments for its 2007 class, but only three of those players are from Texas. The Ponies have commitments from players from Connecticut, Iowa, Maine and North Carolina.

SMU's commitment to recruiting nationally could help the Mean Green locally down the line. UNT's profile has never been higher after it advanced to the NCAA Tournament this season, a fact the Mean Green is trying to take advantage of by recruiting a number of high profile local players.

SMU went after a completely different set of players, several of them from out of state.

UNT will always have plenty of competition for players in the Dallas area and will no doubt compete with SMU more than a few times in recruiting, but it certainly won't hurt to have one of its natural rivals taking more than half of its players from halfway across the country.

There are enough talented players in Texas and Dallas specifically to help the Mean Green continue to build its program. UNT is after Joseph Fulce (Plano) and Jordan Smith (Colleyville) among others from the area.

Keeping those players home and building a reputation as a top destination for Dallas area players could help UNT's cause. UNT already has several key local players, including Ben Bell (Irving), Michael Sturns (Fort Worth) and Harold Stewart (Fort Worth). Two of UNT's top 10 scorers in school history, Chris Davis and Leonard Hopkins, were Dallas area products who played for UNT in the last 10 years.

Building on that tradition might be a little easier in the future if SMU's latest recruiting class is an indication of its plans under Doherty.

Posted by Brett Vito at 11:55 PM

This isn't the least bit surprising. When SMU fired their most recent coach (Billy Tubbs I believe) who was black and very close to Dallas high school coaches they burned more than a few bridges. Many of the Dallas high school coaches vowed never to send their kids to SMU because they don't believe Tubbs was ever given a fair shake. Let's hope they stick by that policy. :lol:

This isn't the least bit surprising. When SMU fired their most recent coach (Billy Tubbs I believe) who was black and very close to Dallas high school coaches they burned more than a few bridges. Many of the Dallas high school coaches vowed never to send their kids to SMU because they don't believe Tubbs was ever given a fair shake. Let's hope they stick by that policy. :lol:

I cant say I know how recruiting works but does a coach really have that much influence on a student athlete? If their last coach burned a few bridges then it doesnt mean it cant be mended again....from what I have heard and read Doherty is really a good coach and can recruit well so the notion that Dallas coaches vowing never to send their kids to SMU doesnt seem that believable. That scholarship and the embellishing of an offer is all that matters...Dallas coaches may not want their athletes going to SMU but ultimately I believe it is the kids themselves but more so the parents. I dont know...it just seems that parents have a positive view on SMU and I dont think parents will care what happened to the last coach and what not....its what you can do for me now and where is this thing headed. Oh and also the coach wasnt Billy Tubbs, he was the coach for TCU back in the mid to late 90's or somesuch. His name is Jimmy Tubbs. Which going to another point I think JJ can capitalize on its recent sucess because they are in the DFW area but far enough to say they still dont live at home....on top of that we made the tourney and thats always a selling point for one year atleast.

Edited by Green Mean

I cant say I know how recruiting works but does a coach really have that much influence on a student athlete? If their last coach burned a few bridges then it doesnt mean it cant be mended again....from what I have heard and read Doherty is really a good coach and can recruit well so the notion that Dallas coaches vowing never to send their kids to SMU doesnt seem that believable. That scholarship and the embellishing of an offer is all that matters...Dallas coaches may not want their athletes going to SMU but ultimately I believe it is the kids themselves but more so the parents. I dont know...it just seems that parents have a positive view on SMU and I dont think parents will care what happened to the last coach and what not....its what you can do for me now and where is this thing headed. Which going to another point I think JJ can capitalize on its recent sucess because they are in the DFW area but far enough to say they still dont live at home....on top of that we made the tourney and thats always a selling point for one year atleast.

Parents, and the kids, may well hold the final say in where an athlete goes but don't underestimate the power a coach can have over a kid. This is why assistant coaches are hired all the time because of their "connections to high school coaches in X area". These kids have been under the tutelage of the same man, or woman, for four years in most cases...and in some cases "coach" is a surrogate for "father."

About 80-90% of the recruting process is done with the High School coach unless that kid has contacted the college coach that is the only way that they have to get intouch with that player.

Wow thats interesting I didnt know that....so when and where the heck do parents come in? I know parents are parents and maybe I dont understand because I myself am not a parent yet but it just seem that its the parents that are the ones that whip everybody to death.

Edited by Green Mean

The one thing that most people do not understand the good players have committed before their Sr. year now days. So the high school coach is the person that lets the college coaches know that they may have a kid that is going to be a Jr. that could be a good prospect for them. So the letters start coming to the school adress to the student in-care of the coach and the coach gives the student the ones that he feels good about. This is how the student knows who is interested in him and he starts forming what 5 schools he would like to take his trips to. The coach is the person that has the film to send to the college coaches. The coach is the person that can answer the questions about what kind of person this student is. How does he pratice. What kind of grades does he carry. The coach is the person that allows the recruters to be around pratice and see what this student looks like in real life. Now don't get me wrong if you are talking about Highland Park, Richardson or Plano areas the parents have the money to get these things done but this was about DISD players. The college coaches must use the high school coaches for alot of info in the grade area because about 50% of the students in DISD will not get past the NCAA Clearinghouse and they do not have the time to spend on someone that will not make it.

Edited by PHSCoach

The one thing that most people do not understand the good players have committed before their Sr. year now days. So the high school coach is the person that lets the college coaches know that they may have a kid that is going to be a Jr. that could be a good prospect for them. So the letters start coming to the school adress to the student in-care of the coach and the coach gives the student the ones that he feels good about. This is how the student knows who is interested in him and he starts forming what 5 schools he would like to take his trips to. The coach is the person that has the film to send to the college coaches. The coach is the person that can answer the questions about what kind of person this student is. How does he pratice. What kind of grades does he carry. The coach is the person that allows the recruters to be around pratice and see what this student looks like in real life. Now don't get me wrong if you are talking about Highland Park, Richardson or Plano areas the parents have the money to get these things done but this was about DISD players. The college coaches must use the high school coaches for alot of info in the grade area because about 50% of the students in DISD will not get past the NCAA Clearinghouse and they do not have the time to spend on someone that will not make it.

A couple of paragraphs from the article on Marquez Haynes (Boston College transfer) in the DRC. Note who will be helping him make the decision on where he will go.

“Staying close to home will not be the deciding factor,” said Erven Davis, Haynes’ former AAU coach. “He wants to play in an up-tempo style that will fit him. If he can find a team that plays that style close to home, it will help.”

Davis said he would sit down with Haynes in the next few days to discuss schools where Haynes could transfer.

I don't know that NT has ever competed directly against SMUt for the same basketball recruit. Most college programs only have 3-4 max ships to give and there is usually plenty of players to go around. I don't see what the big issue is with SMUt's recruiting; to me they are a non-factor.

Edited by NT80

Guest GrayEagleOne

Jimmy Tubbs was fired because internal investigations revealed numerous NCAA violations. Since receiving the death penalty, SMU is very sensitive to NCAA regulations.

If JT had done nothing wrong, he would've/should've contacted the NAACP and ACLU and filed a lawsuit.

If it came to head-to-head then I believe that Matt Doherty would probably win some due to his reputation at UNC. But, JJ seems to be a good recruiter as well and is a more congenioal person and there would be many that would rather play for him.

I believe that GM is right...it is the player and their parents that ultimately decide where the player goes to college. It may be true that the coach will not pursue a scholarship for one of his players from SMU but if they choose to offer the player, the high school coach is not a factor unless his advice is sought.

---It appears that one of Midland's Players is considering North Texas and has visited the campus earlier. MC just won the National Juco championship last week. The oddity is McCoy played on a team that won the championship last year as well. There are a couple of other good ones that it would be nice to have as well.

--moved content to another thread.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66