Sun Belt Attendance

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

After working a few deals, here is the average attendance of each Sun Belt team:

Middle Tennessee 24,037

Louisiana-Monroe 22,313

Troy 21,473

Arkansas State 19,069

North Texas 15,650

Florida International 15,110

Louisiana-Lafayette 14,516

Florida Atlantic 9,290

Middle's average included a game against Louisville in Nashville which drew 32,000+. ULM's average was inflated by the 55,420 that attended the game with Arkansas in Little Rock. I believe that this is an alternate year deal so next year they won't do nearly as well. However, their average attendance in Monroe was 14,036 which was far better than I thought possible. Troy's average included the New Orleans Bowl but that only raised their average a few hundred. Arkansas State had a game with Oklahoma State in Little Rock which boosted their average a little more than a thousand; still better than most years for them. Florida International achieved the magic 15 thousand mark for the first time with a team that didn't win a game; again, better than I ever thought that they could do. ULL's situation continues to trouble me. They have the largest stadium in the conference and have had some great crowds in the past. But, the past few years of Bustleball haven't produced great attendance numbers and less than average teams. Florida Atlantic was dead last of all of the Division 1-A teams. They have a proven coach but where are the fans? Unless and until they can get a stadium on campus it's hard to understand how they can afford to stay in Division 1-A with such low attendance.

The point is that the Sun Belt Conference does seem to be improving in every aspect. It may not have risen from 11th as a 1-A conference yet but at this rate, we could surpass the MAC as early as next year. That doesn't mean that I don't want to elevate our program to a better conference but the improvement in the SBC makes it a lot more palatable.

After working a few deals, here is the average attendance of each Sun Belt team:

Middle Tennessee 24,037

Louisiana-Monroe 22,313

Troy 21,473

Arkansas State 19,069

North Texas 15,650

Florida Atlantic 9,290

Middle's average included a game against Louisville in Nashville which drew 32,000+. ULM's average was inflated by the 55,420 that attended the game with Arkansas in Little Rock. I believe that this is an alternate year deal so next year they won't do nearly as well. However, their average attendance in Monroe was 14,036 which was far better than I thought possible. Troy's average included the New Orleans Bowl but that only raised their average a few hundred. Arkansas State had a game with Oklahoma State in Little Rock which boosted their average a little more than a thousand; still better than most years for them. Florida International achieved the magic 15 thousand mark for the first time with a team that didn't win a game; again, better than I ever thought that they could do. ULL's situation continues to trouble me. They have the largest stadium in the conference and have had some great crowds in the past. But, the past few years of Bustleball haven't produced great attendance numbers and less than average teams. Florida Atlantic was dead last of all of the Division 1-A teams. They have a proven coach but where are the fans? Unless and until they can get a stadium on campus it's hard to understand how they can afford to stay in Division 1-A with such low attendance.

The point is that the Sun Belt Conference does seem to be improving in every aspect. It may not have risen from 11th as a 1-A conference yet but at this rate, we could surpass the MAC as early as next year. That doesn't mean that I don't want to elevate our program to a better conference but the improvement in the SBC makes it a lot more palatable.

I just took a cruise around the LaLa campus on my way back from Mardi Gras. Pretty nice stadium, and I remember when they used to get some good crowds a few years back when they played as an independent. Only one amongst us that was able to avoid taking the 1aa plunge.

I remember the big boys would come to Texas Stadium but not come to Fouts/Denton.

Texas M&A came to Texas Stadium, as well as Okie State, Houston, and Army.

Could NT schedule the big boys to play at Texas Stadium in the future, or,

is playing a game at TS a dead issue?

I was not a big fan of the Texas Stadium games. Opposing fans would outnumber us 3-1, it didn't feel like home to the UNT fans or players, and what we would effectively do is swap out a home game on our schedule for an away game.

It will be great when we have our own stadium that can host marquee games like that.

When looking at attendance you need to look at more than one year. Example: MTSU looks good for '06 but has decent attendance for only 1 other year since being in the Sun Belt. As pointed out ULM's attendance is misleading because of the so-called home game vs Arkansas in LR. ASU counted attendance at a "home game" in Kansas City vs Missouri, maybe on '05. Troy has really been the only conference team that consistantly is around the 20,000 mark.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I would enjoy playing games at Texas Stadium but only with the following opponentsL Texas, Yexas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, LSU, Oklahoma State or Notre Dame. On the other hand, I know that Rick V would never consent to do that so it's a moot question.

We've only got a year or so to debate this question anyway because I look for Texas Stadium to be torn down by 2010.

Middle Tennessee 24,037

Louisiana-Monroe 22,313

Troy 21,473

Arkansas State 19,069

North Texas 15,650

Florida Atlantic 9,290

Hard to build the Sunbelt with numbers like this... Even harder to get more bowl games "tie ins".

Heck, this looks like the Big XII compared to some of the MAC teams.

The games at Texas Stadium(Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Kansas, Army) completely destroyed the game day experience for fans. Never again!

techcointoss1_288x189.jpg

techcointoss2.jpg

Of course, that last one was pretty special for me. I represented the fire service and served as honorary captain during the coin toss the first week of the return of athletic events following 9-11-01.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Guest GrayEagleOne

The games at Texas Stadium(Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Kansas, Army) completely destroyed the game day experience for fans. Never again!

techcointoss2.jpg

Of course, that last one was pretty special for me. I represented the fire service and served as honorary captain during the coin toss the first week of the return of athletic events following 9-11-01.

Rick

Different strokes for different folks. I'm learning to enjoy game day at Fouts but back then there wasn't much atmosphere here, either. I attended several luncheon buffets up iin the big room at the upper level of the end zone and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It certainly seemed a lot more like big time football than anything (except maybe Homecoming) in Denton. I didn't like the A&M game only because I got caught in a traffic jam and didn't get to my seat until after the game had started. As for the others, my only bad experience was losing the game.

Different strokes for different folks. I'm learning to enjoy game day at Fouts but back then there wasn't much atmosphere here, either. I attended several luncheon buffets up iin the big room at the upper level of the end zone and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It certainly seemed a lot more like big time football than anything (except maybe Homecoming) in Denton. I didn't like the A&M game only because I got caught in a traffic jam and didn't get to my seat until after the game had started. As for the others, my only bad experience was losing the game.

You don't remember fans from Tech and NT being directed by stadium staff to park in empty roped-off areas reserved to handle overflow parking, then watching contract wreckers hooking up and towing them off before the game due to poor communication? Getting into and out of that place is horrible enough let alone everything else. I've turned down Cowboy tickets simply because I just don't want to deal with the place. Once they move then I'll attend again.

Rick

Guest GrayEagleOne

This was one of the MAC's better years. Every MAC team averaged at least 15,000. Usually, there are about four or five that do not. Here are their averages:

Central Michigan 26,988

Bowling Green 23,528

Northern Illinois 20,771

Toledo 20,311

Western Michigan 18,625

Ohio 18,184

Kent State 17,004

Buffalo 16,417

Akron 16,132

Eastern Michigan 15,787

Miami 15,244

Ball State 15,061

Temple will be an associate (football only) member next year but they, too, averaged more than 15,000.

I remember the big boys would come to Texas Stadium but not come to Fouts/Denton.

Texas M&A came to Texas Stadium, as well as Okie State, Houston, and Army.

Could NT schedule the big boys to play at Texas Stadium in the future, or,

is playing a game at TS a dead issue?

Kansas came to Texas Stadium as well...

The reason I even mention Texas Stadium was if NT could get one one the big boys

to play us, but required 50K + seating to make the deal, would NT consider this

option?

I agree, all games need to played at Fouts! Game day experience is blast!

I will have friends from out of state coming to Denton for the Navy game. They are all

NT alums that have never been to a NT game in 3-4 years. I know the game day

experience will blow them away!

The reason I even mention Texas Stadium was if NT could get one one the big boys

to play us, but required 50K + seating to make the deal, would NT consider this

option?

I agree, all games need to played at Fouts! Game day experience is blast!

I will have friends from out of state coming to Denton for the Navy game. They are all

NT alums that have never been to a NT game in 3-4 years. I know the game day

experience will blow them away!

You can do the same thing by being the home team but playing in the other teams stadium. All it does is inflate your attendance numbers. Lets build a new stadium and fill it.

techcointoss2.jpg

Rick

Why in the world did they put you on the Tech side of the flip?

Guest GrayEagleOne

You can do the same thing by being the home team but playing in the other teams stadium. All it does is inflate your attendance numbers. Lets build a new stadium and fill it.

I'm pretty sure that you can't do that and I've never heard of it. You can be the home team at a neutral site even if it's closer to your opponent than to your home stadium. For example, Arkansas State was the home team against Missouri and the game was played in Kansas City. ULMs deal with Arkansas is played in Little Rock but not in Fayetteville.

The home team is responsible for stadium rental, tickets, etc. so that's why you don't play in the opponent's home stadium.

I agree with your comment about building a new stadium and filling it. A filled 40,000 seat stadium should attract all but the very top attendance leaders.

I'm pretty sure that you can't do that and I've never heard of it. You can be the home team at a neutral site even if it's closer to your opponent than to your home stadium. For example, Arkansas State was the home team against Missouri and the game was played in Kansas City. ULMs deal with Arkansas is played in Little Rock but not in Fayetteville.

The home team is responsible for stadium rental, tickets, etc. so that's why you don't play in the opponent's home stadium.

I agree with your comment about building a new stadium and filling it. A filled 40,000 seat stadium should attract all but the very top attendance leaders.

I guess it depends if the team has a campus stadium. I know that Arkansas used to play at least 2 of their home games each year in LR. And the LR stadium (cant remember the name) is not home to another team so it really is a home stadium for Arkansas. Did Tulane not play several of their games in opponents staduims when the Super Dome was being repaired?

But really who cares? The point of my post is that it only inflates the attendance numbers. It is not a true reflection of where your program is or is going. I am not in favor of this "attendance game".