Nt Has 4 Fb Prospects On The Fw*telegram Top State 100

OldTimer

I feel confident in saying that we've never had that many top 100 players commit to NT. In fact, I always felt fortunate if anyone from the local 50 made a commitment.

Bill, truth must be told with this subject, too, but DD actually did have "one" year several years ago where some of us counted as many as 6 Top 100 recruits from cumulative lists of state Top 100's which came from lists from the Houston Chronicle, the DMN and the FWST. Problem for DD was there was just "one" year for that kind of success. If he had just kept on recruiting at that level, he would probably still be at UNT and all would be peaches and creamy for most everyone. As all know, what you do on Game Day is determined with how you did during the recruiting wars the previous 3-4 years.

If DD had continued with 6 (give or take) Top 100 recruits each recruiting season, we could have probably been competitive with those "FIVE" body bag games per season we are now reading (as of yesterday) that we had during his tenure at UNT. I guess we now have to wonder if all our non-SBC games were all considered as body bag games as far as DD was concerned.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Bill, truth must be told with this subject, too, but DD actually did have "one" year where some of us counted as many as 6 Top 100 recruits from cumulative lists which consisted of the Houston Chronicle, the DMN and the FWST. Problem was it was just "one" year for that kind of success. If he had just kept on recruiting at a similar level, he would probably still be at UNT.

Well, that might be. But most of the time...make that all the time, I don't comb those lists, ......and neither do most of the 90k+ alumni in the D/FW area. They look at the local lists (as do the local recruits, their parents and coaches) and see at a glance that North Texas is not getting any commitments from local talent. That's a "buzz killer" any way you look at it. It leads to a lack of interest from the fan base, because they think that no player of any ability in the D/FW area is interested in North Texas.

For the first time since Hayden Fry, that has now changed.

Well, that might be. But most of the time...make that all the time, I don't comb those lists, ......and neither do most of the 90k+ alumni in the D/FW area. They look at the local lists (as do the local recruits, their parents and coaches) and see at a glance that North Texas is not getting any commitments from local talent. That's a "buzz killer" any way you look at it. It leads to a lack of interest from the fan base, because they think that no player of any ability in the D/FW area is interested in North Texas.

For the first time since Hayden Fry, that has now changed.

You're probably right about the 90K plus...and all the local lists, too.

Actually, the state Top 100 lists have dramatically changed almost since that one year DD had a good class; there just seems to be fewer and fewer schools annually ranked from around #80 thru #119 (is that better than saying, uh, non-BCS?) on Texas state top 100 lists as there used to be. I think we all believe Todd Dodge will change some of that from our standpoint.:)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen