Did You Ever Stop To Consider

UNTLifer

was to keep us in the dark regarding the lack of effort in recruiting the DFW market? Just a thought. It sure is nice to see North Texas in the news throughout the recruiting season.

Do you really think that's the case? You're kidding right? As much as I hated stealth recruiting, it had absolutely nothing to do with the fans.

Do you really think that's the case? You're kidding right? As much as I hated stealth recruiting, it had absolutely nothing to do with the fans.

So it had to do with the media not knowing how poor a job we were doing recruiting DFW? You can't honestly tell me, with the results DD's staff brought in (with continuity in the staff mind you), and the results we are already seeing that there wasn't something to what UNTLifer is saying.

Or, do you think DD and his staff truly didn't believe they could recruit against anyone else. If this is true then we are DEFINITELY better off.

So it had to do with the media not knowing how poor a job we were doing recruiting DFW? You can't honestly tell me, with the results DD's staff brought in (with continuity in the staff mind you), and the results we are already seeing that there wasn't something to what UNTLifer is saying.

Or, do you think DD and his staff truly didn't believe they could recruit against anyone else. If this is true then we are DEFINITELY better off.

The second part of your statement is what I believe. I'm not saying that we're not better off. I'm extremely happy with Dodge and the fact that stealth recruiting is gone.

I'm not saying that NT didn't do a horrible job recruiting DFW when DD was here. It was absolutely abominable and that staff should be ashamed. But I think (for some reason) it was itentional. I really think that DD thought for the most part that he couldn't compete for the Top 100 kids inside the DFW metroplex (which is small-time thinking), so he committed himself to finding those hidden gems in and around DFW. He also went ouside of DFW to smaller schools, which he believed was an un-tapped resource, easier to recruit. Stealth recruiting was used to not let anyone else know about those "diamonds in the rough." DD didn't want to have to put himself in any more competition for recruits than he had to.

All that said, I don't believe for a minute that stealth recruiting had anything to do with trying to keep NT fans off of his back. It was quite obvious that DD had no concern for what the fan thought.

That is why I reject the conspiracy theory for the 'real reason for stealth recruiting.'

Edited by TicketJohn

The second part of your statement is what I believe. I'm not saying that we're not better off. I'm extremely happy with Dodge and the fact that stealth recruiting is gone.

I'm not saying that NT didn't do a horrible job recruiting DFW when DD was here. It was absolutely abominable and that staff should be ashamed. But I think (for some reason) it was itentional. I really think that DD thought for the most part that he couldn't compete for the kids inside the DFW metroplex (which is small-time thinking), so he committed himself to finding those hidden gems outside of DFW. Stealth recruiting was used to not let anyone else know about those "diamonds in the rough." DD didn't want to have to put himself in any more competition for recruits than he had to.

All that said, I don't believe for a minute that stealth recruiting had anything to do with trying to keep NT fans off of his back. It was quite obvious that DD had no concern for what the fan thought.

That is why I reject the conspiracy theory for the 'real reason for stealth recruiting.'

MG61's above posts is probably what we all need to do our best to do, but (still) one more thought on the subject.

I've had this theory told to me and I thought it before the one who emailed me even said it but: Didn't DD and his staff mentally quit this program, this school and us (the fans) when they didn't get their Big 12 or Big 10 job the year they went 9 and 3?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Didn't DD and his staff mentally quit this program, this school and us (the fans) when they didn't get their Big 12 or Big 10 job the year they went 9 and 3?

Now that's something I haven't considered. While I won't go so far as to accuse the former staff of that horrible an offense, I do think that's more of a possibility than the original subject of this thread.

Please note that my original thought was a little sarcastic. My personal thoughts are those that TicketJohn posted, that DD didn't think he could compete for the Area/State ranked recruits and he didn't want to alert the other schools to the "hidden gems" he was finding. The downfall was that kind of thinking ran throughout his program which is evident in his OOC record. He just didn't believe he could compete with others. This negativity caught up to him, that and the fact that the job offers didn't come pouring in after his three winning seasons, and he continued to protect/support RF.

Anyway, it is refreshing to have TD's attitude in place and, as MeanGreen 61 stated, it is time to move on.

I am not sure the reasoning and thought process of the stealth recruiting. But if anyone knows...why is/was it called stealth recruiting? I mean was there a specific agenda DD and his staff were going for in that kind of recruiting? Also I was just thinking that the 4 years we won the SBC and went to the bowls he probably thought his recruiting tactics to be working...he was probably like we arent getting the best recruits but hell we are atleast going to bowls every year. The last two years were bad years but still insisted in this kind of recruiting because he probably believed that it would work again as it had before. I mean not only that but I think all coaches and people in this business are very stubborn and its hard for coaches to change their current styles especially for coaches that had success in their system at one time (e.g. DD and Fupa Bill). Am I wrong?

Please note that my original thought was a little sarcastic. My personal thoughts are those that TicketJohn posted, that DD didn't think he could compete for the Area/State ranked recruits and he didn't want to alert the other schools to the "hidden gems" he was finding. The downfall was that kind of thinking ran throughout his program which is evident in his OOC record. He just didn't believe he could compete with others. This negativity caught up to him, that and the fact that the job offers didn't come pouring in after his three winning seasons, and he continued to protect/support RF.

Anyway, it is refreshing to have TD's attitude in place and, as MeanGreen 61 stated, it is time to move on.

Good to hear it, moving on now. :)

I am definately not a DD supporter, and most of you that have posted on here for a while know that I am not, however, I do think that DD had been sick for 2 or even 3 years and he was trying to ride the "recruiting" of the championships we had. Those that I have spoken to that know him well say that he has been sick for a while. They urged him not to take a new job and rest for a year, but as we can see, he doesn't seem to want to do that. Now, that doesn't make it right, but if you don't have a strong leader who is not out recruiting, then your assistants tend to fall off also, and this may have been a huge reason why the recruiting fell so much. I think the "stealth" idea that the staff didn't really want us to know how much was getting done is a good reason why they wanted it called that.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow did not know that you were such an A-hole. Like that skit on SNL 2 A-HOLES IN A TRAVEL AGENCY....Have you seen it? But its like your ONE A-HOLE IN A FOOTBALL FORUM.....

In all honesty, I meant that in the nicest way possible. I meant that I was glad that in the end we saw eye-to-eye and that he was being tounge-in-cheek.

I could definately see where that sounds like I was being an A-Hole, but I really wasn't meaning to.

In all honesty, I meant that in the nicest way possible. I meant that I was glad that in the end we saw eye-to-eye and that he was being tounge-in-cheek.

I could definately see where that sounds like I was being an A-Hole, but I really wasn't meaning to.

Sorry man I am hypersensitive today. Upon further review. I overreacted!

UNT LIFER is a die hard and I thought you were highsticking our all-time great scorer on the board....I know he can handle himself. Look forward to more debates with you TicketJohn...you seem formible and are a great addition to the board!

Much love to the Mean Green!

Edited by eeally