North Texas 2007 Recruiting Class

Harry

padrontrevswestlk06%20st.jpgdragondefense%20vs%20trinity06.jpgpadronvskell06.jpg

LB - Justin Padron (6-0, 225, 4.65) - Southlake, TX. (Carroll HS) - (Pictured as #44 above) Wants to play close to home and is considering TCU and NT. AP 5A 1st Team All State defensive selection at LB (2006). Had 16-tackles in the state finals against Westlake. Star Telegram area top 100 and top state 100 selection. Not the fastest or the biggest but great passion and a leader. DMN 1st team all area team.

FW*Telegram Super Team (Jan 8) 1st Team LB 2nd amoung class 5A players with 142 tackles.

Per DMN article (1-3-07) he had 240 tackles, 3 interceptions, 3 sacks, 3 forced fumbles. (this may be career stats as I have seen several different stats listed)

PADRON BECOME NT'S FIRST COMMIT UNDER TD. Per the FW*Telegram today Jan 7 Padron said Dodge told him he wanted Padron to be his first committment Saturday in a phone conversation. :thumbsup:

Video: http://64.237.99.126/clips/2007122.wmv

Vid 2: http://insidehighschoolfootball.com/video....CookieSupport=1

COMMITTED TO NORTH TEXAS!

Harry's Take: Justin was Dodge's first commitment as a college head coach which speaks to the fact that Dodge holds him in very high regard. On film he is not the biggest or fastest but he is always around the ball. I love the angles he takes and his technique is so solid he rarely ever gets blocked. The biggest question is how will his game translate to I-A against bigger, faster athletes. I see Padron as a Dodge disciple that will help implement a new philosophy among the players recruited by Dickey. He reminds me a little of UNT LB Derek Mendoza but with better technique.

Oldtimer's Take: Justin has impressive HS recognition and game statistics. He is a little shorter, a little light, and a little slow for a LB in college. He makes up for this with his knowledge of what Dodge expects of him. His play against a much heavier Euless Trinity O. Line shows his ability to read the offense his opponents run and be at the right place at the right time, fend off the OL and make the play. He tackles are solid and they hit the runner hard. Another thing has going for him is his heart for the game. NT has some experienced LB's returning so his playing time may be limited or he might redshirt his freshman year.

8654_300.jpg

WR - Breece Johnson, Colleyville Heritage 6-2, 175, 4.4, AP 5A 1st Team All State,

Jr. Stats: 50 catches for 657 yds and 8 TD's.

Sr. Stats: 63 catches for 993 yards with 14 TD's, led district 5A in receiving.

District 5A 1st Team Offense

DMN All Area 1st Team Offense WR

FW*Telegram Super Team (Jan 8) 2nd team offense WR

Receiving attention from Colorada State, Iowa, Utah. Verbal to North Texas 1.3.07 :thumbsup: Johnson (6-2, 175) is Colleyville Heritage's tallest target. He said his hands can be attributed to a summer routine where he tried to catch at least 500 footballs a day from a Jugs machine, a device that zips passes.

"I concentrated a lot more on football. Everything I did was based around football," Johnson said.

Video: http://insidehighschoolfootball.com/video....emID=1001212839

Harry's Take: I like this kid because he - like Johnny Quinn before him - is so dedicated to football that you know he will only get better in time. An outstanding senior year, Johnson has good speed and incredible hands. I like his height but he needs to continue developing his upper body and gain some weight or he's going to get hurt. I think Johnson's work ethic will push the other WR's to work harder and improve. Being a 1st team 5A All State Selection is a major accomplishment in the State of Texas.

Oldtimer's Take: I commented first on Sam Dibrell and many of those comments are applicable to each of the 5 new wide receivers including Breece. He played on the same team as Evan Walker in high school and they had the same experience running a spread formation in high school and same experience playing against SLC which gives each of a head start in learning the offense TD will run at NT. Breece is a little taller than Evan but both are very fast. He has good height, but is a little light and might need to gain a little muscle to break away from college defenders. I expect all of the WR to get playing time their freshman year.

http://www.sasports.com/sports/football/pictures/2006AHCove/

Sam Dibrell, (6-2, 200, 4.5) Alamo Heights - Notable: Unanimous All-District 27-4A. ... Led area in receiving yards (1,556), receptions (92) and receiving TDs (20). Key contributor to 2006 4A State Championship team. AP Honorable mention 4A All State WR. Teammate and star QB Giovanni Vizza has verbaled to Nevada but visits Denton 1/12/07.

Jr. Stats 40 receptions for 673 yds.

1st team San Antonio Express News All Area Sub-5A

Verbal to UNT :thumbsup: 1/9/2007

Rivals post 1-11-07 quote "Dibrell says he's a solid commitment. However, he doesn't want to comple shut down all of his options yet. I did give them a solid verbal, but at the same time, I have to keep my options open somewhat open until February". TX State and NMSU are his other ship offers at this time.

Harry's Take: Productive. Good size and speed. Dibrell may have been a key to the Vizza signing and that alone makes him a good sign. A winner, who is used to winning at a high level of high school competition. Dibrell made some very clutch catches in Alamo Heights state championship run. Has a chance to help early as a possession receiver.

Oldtimer's Take: Todd Dodge uses as many as 5 receivers at a time and they are all very fast. This requires extra receivers to keep each one fresh. Sam Dibrell has the size, speed, experience in a spread offense to be an effective receiver and he should see a lot of playing time his freshman year. If Vizza gets playing time, and I believe he will, their playing time together experience in high school makes each them even better as they know what each can do and how it will be done.

28184-23136.jpglahanevs%20collher06%202.jpg

Evan Walker 5'11" 175 4.4 Colleyville Heritage

Sr. stats: 99 receptions 1476 yards gained, and 15 touchdowns. District 5-5A 1st team selection at WR. AP 5A 1st Team All State Selection at WR.DMN 2nd team all area team

Video: http://insidehighschoolfootball.com/video....emID=1001212839

Video2: http://insidehighschoolfootball.com/video....emID=1001212839

Mean Green add another all state WR

Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007

UNT just added another Colleyville Heritage WR to its list of commitments. Evan Walker will be joining teammate Breece Johnson up the road in Denton.

— Trae Thompson

Dave Campbells Texas Football 1st All Texas Team (the 30 best performances in 2006) 1sts Team

Reported to be visiting NT December 19th

COMMITTED TO NT 1-14-07 :clapping:

Harry's Take: Love his speed. Short but very quick and very dangerous after the catch. Like all of the receivers very productive against top notch 5A competition. Clearly Dodge saw something special about this kid even though Southlake beat them pretty handily in two games last year. I like that Dodge knows this kid and realizes that he has ability to excel at the next level.

Oldtimer's Take: A lot of the items mentioned in my comments on Sam Dibrell apply to each of the 5 freshmen Wide Receivers that make up this years recruiting class. Evan is probably as good or better than Dibrell and he played in a spread offense in high school which should help him. He also has experience playing against Dodges offense in HS which should help him understand what is expected of him to play under our new coach. Evan is smaller than Dibrell but a little faster. He should get playing time as a freshman.

EVANFENTRISS12_2150.JPG

Evan Fentriss 6'1" 185 4.4 Southlake Carroll, Rice (transfer)

He was a freshman at Rice University on football scholarship. Has indicated in media outlets that he would transfer to NT. Played at Lake Highlands as a junior. Played at SLC his senior year. Stats, senio: 47 receptions, 953 yards and 13 touchdowns. Rivals had him rated as a two-star prospect coming out of high school. Chose Rice over SMU and Baylor. Would have to sit out a year at NT. Became a starter for Rice in his 4th game against Florida State but got up in numbers as the season went on. Was an AP 1st Team All State Selection last year.

Receiver to visit UNT

Blurb in FW*Telegram this week. Former Carroll wideout Evan Fentriss said he's been released him from his scholarship at Rice and will visit North Texas and TCU in hopes of transferring. He said he's also spoken to Hawaii.

Rice Roster Bio -"-A member of the Owls' talented freshman receiving class who was on the field from the first game of the season He played only two games in his freshman year at Rice catching 4 passes for 69 yards.

2006: Caught his first career pass in his first collegiate action, a five-yarder against Houston. Grabbed three passes for 60 yards, including a 39-yarder, against Texas.

High School -- 2006 graduate of Carroll High in Southlake, near Fort Worth... All-District 5-5A pick for coach Todd Dodge... Helped Carroll to Class 5A and mythical national championship in 2005... Caught 47 passes for 953 yards and 13 touchdowns on the season... In the Dragons' final four playoff games, had 16 catches for 321 yards and five scores, including a 33-yard TD in the state championship win over Katy... High school teammate of Corbin Smiter and Joseph Agnew, fellow members of the 2006 Rice recruiting class... Transferred to Carroll for his senior season after earning all-District 10-5A accolades as a junior at Lake Highlands... Led the Wildcats with 16 catches in 2004... Member of Carroll's track squad... Had a 3.0 GPA... Selected Rice over SMU, Baylor and S.F. Austin State."

His senior year in HS he was named 1st team WR 5A All Region 1.

Evan will have to Reshirt in 2007 because of his transfer from Rice to NT.

COMMITTED TO NORTH TEXAS :clapping:

Harry's Take: Fentriss can play, has good speed, knows Dodge's system and will help immediately. Only downer is that he will have to sit out a year. This marks a change from the Dickey regime who weren't very active about pursuing transfers.

Oldtimer's Take: Fentriss played in spread offense in high school as well as his freshman year at Rice. This experience will help him, plus taking part in spring training this year will give him an edge over any future WR recruits. He has sufficient height and weight and great speed. He will be an outstanding player when his time comes.

team.jpg

#11 pictured above

DT - Jesse DeSoto, San Antonio Lee, 6-1, 290, SA Express 5A All area 1st team, SA Express Top 20 prospect #7, District 26-5A 1st Team Defense. Jesse had offers from Missouri, UH, Utah, and Navy.

COMMITTED TO NORTH TEXAS :thumbsup:

Harry's Take: Big and strong, known as a very intense player whose motor runs the entire game. Will likely play nosetackle and he's good enough to break into the UNT rotation. I like the schools that were after him. UNT didn't sign a lot of linemen in this class but they got some good ones.

Oldtimer's Take: Jesse is one of two defensive tackles to sign with NT. He is a little short, but has the weight to play college football. Height has not stopped NT in the past from recruiting and developing outstanding DT players at NT ala Booger. He received OFFERS from Missouri, UH, Utah and Navy which tells me he is a very good player and will do well at NT. With a large number of DL returning at NT he might be redshirted but I would not be surprised if he didn't get playing time as a freshman.

sports01.jpg

LB - Marquese Davis, Atlanta 16-3A, 6-3,210,4.8 Visited Jan 20 weekend. more to come

District 16-3A 1st Team All District LB, newcomer of the year Texarkana Gazette All NE Texas Area 1st Team, Selected to play in the Emfinger All American Bowl on the west squad his Sr. year. Participated in Max Emfinger's All-American Bowl Game Classic Jan. 5 in Shreveport, La.

COMMITTED TO NORTH TEXAS JANUARY 20, 2007 :thumbsup:

Harry's Take: Like his size - worry about the level of competition. That said, Maurice Holman was our last East Texas linebacker signee and that worked out pretty good so let's do this baby!

Oldtimer's Take: Marquese is an athlete. He played basketball in HS and I gather from info that he was newcomer of the year his Sr. season that he may not have played FB before his Sr year . (my guess) Height is fine, but he needs to gain weight and muscle to play ILB which may be his position in college...he is a little slow to play OLB. I predict he will red shirt his freshman year at NT due to the returning players at his position.

russovswestlk06%202%20st.jpgrusso%20vs%20lh%2006.jpg

DE Kyle Russo (6'3" 240 4.7) - Southlake Carroll - Junior stats: 118 tackles, 15 sacks and 2 interceptions. Sr. Stats: 103 tackles, 21 sacks, 1 fumble returned for TD. GPA 3.7. Star Telegram Top Area 50 Selection,

District 5-5A 1st Team All District. Considering North Texas SMU, Baylor, Wake Forest, Iowa State and Kansas State. Offers from Central Florida, Baylor, Air Force and Navy.

DMN 1st team all area team. FW*Telegram 1-8-07 Super Team Fall 2006 1st Team Defense. Set to visit UNT on the 19th.

Video: http://sunshinepreps.net/viewer/index.php?...o=2007BA198.wmv

Harry's Take: To me, Russo is very similar to Padron but has more size and raw athletic ability. This is a kid that will bring a warrior mentality to the defense. You watch him on film and he is so freaking intense! The knock on him is he is a tweener but I think he will be an oustanding defensive end. You can't measure heart and this kid has so much of it. Outstanding sign and one of my top three in this class.

Oldtimer's Take: I agree that Kyle is one of the top recruits in this years recruiting class . He has the size, speed, weight to contribute immediately and should get playing time as a freshman. He had outstanding credentials and recognition last year and was highly recruited by major colleges which verifies his abilities. This is one player we would not have had a chance at without Dodge. Major recruit.

2006_Nov24_%20220.jpg10178_800.jpg

WR Sam Roberson (6-4, 210) pictured as #1 above - Somerville HS - A unanimous 26-AA 1st team All District Selection at WR and CB. From Dave Campbell's "Roberson (6-4, 210-pounds) is a small-town kid with big-time potential as seen at the East Meets West Game held in Orlando just after New Years. Now, schools including the likes of North Texas, TCU, Alabama, Clemson and California are taking a look at the Class 2A talent. North Texas was first to offer, but had to reschedule his official visit due to inclimate weather. Roberson led his team to the playoffs as a receiver and defensive back. He had over 1,000 yards receiving in three interceptions. "He's a rare talent," Somerville coach Rick Martinez said. "He's as good as I've ever had and I'm glad people are starting to recognize him."

27-2A First team All Distict as WR and DB. 2006 AP 2A All State Team HM at WR and DB, Sr. Stats: 44 receptions for 1,024 yds and 8 TD's. Played in the 2006 East Meets West HS All Star Football game in Orlanda Florida Defensive stat 8 interceptions.

January 22, 2007 Rivals article

Sleeper Texas WR makes his pick

John Talman

Rivals.com Football Recruiting

Talk about it in the Message Boards

The rise of sleeper Somerville, Texas wide receiver Sam Roberson has led him to a commitment.

Sam Roberson is headed to North Texas.

This past weekend, the 6-foot-4, 210-pounder took an official visit to North Texas. The Mean Green had give him his first Division I-A scholarship offer. After checking out the campus and meeting with the coaches, Roberson had his mind made up.

"It was fun and that's where I'm going – I committed to North Texas," Roberson said. "I don't know what it was. Everybody was cool there and the coaches were great.

"Plus I like their offense they're running next year. Coach Todd Dodge said I should be playing next year as a freshman."

Roberson says that he doesn't plan on taking anymore official visits. He was recruited to North Texas by coach Clayton George.

"I plan on going there and making a statement," he said. "I just want to show up and do something early on in my career."

Harry's Take: Roberson is the clear "sleeper" candidate in this class. An absolute amazing athlete with BCS size and speed. Can he play though? What scared the big boys off was the fact he played at a lower level of competition. I love his upside and the fact that he brings us a homerun option at wide receiver that gets the attention of rival defenses.

Oldtimer's Take: This recruiting class has more athlete ability as a whole than any recent class, with so many players that played both offense and defense in HS. Robinson is the perfect example, playing both which is common among players at smaller schools. He was recruited by major colleges which validates his recognized abilities. The classic late development small school sleeper that DD would have recruited in the past, but with his recognition NT would not have been able to sign. He, along with the other receivers should get playing time as a freshman.

4playoffs1.jpg

Marcus King (6-3, 200, 4.56) - Euless Trinity

Video: http://insidehighschoolfootball.com/video....CookieSupport=1

Video 2: http://www.trinitytrojanfootball.com/videos/wr2-1.wmv (Marcus is in the 2nd half of this video)

Sr Stats: caught 27 passes for 559 yds and 8 TD's All District 7-5A 1st Team WR. FW*Telegram 1-8-07 Super Team Fall 2006 2nd Team WR, FW*Telegram top area 50 and State 100.

111304bhs.jpg

RB - Cam Montgomery, Booneville (MS) Northeast, 6-2, 195-4.4, Visted NT January 19, 2007, Chose NT over UH, ILL, TCU, Boise State, Rivals rating 5.5, 3 star!

Woodlands, TX HS graduate. JC Scout.com has him as a 4* pre-season 1st team JC All American RB ...but he did not make the 2006 JC All American Team. He led the State of Mississippi in rushing as a freshman. As sophmore he rushed for 603 yards.

He will enroll at North Texas for the spring semester, thus available for spring training.

SIGNED LETTER OF INTENT JANUARY 22, 2007 :thumbsup:

Harry's Take: A dominant player at the high school level, he had an amazing freshman year in junior college and then sort of disappeared in his sophomore season. Still a 3-star prospect with good size and speed and a ton of potential at the I-A level. Recruited by Coach Shelton Gandy who had been after him at high school and JC while coaching at La. Tech. Question mark for me is can he catch the ball out of the backfield? UNT needed an insurance policy behind Jamario and Montgomery fit the bill.

Oldtimer's Take: The highest ranked recruit in this years class (3*). IF he returns to his high school and freshman years form he should give NT an experienced running back which should help fill the void than Evan Robinson MIGHT leave if he is unable to get his grades (which we hope he will) and IF Jamario doesn't return to his freshman excellance (again which we hope he will.) A plus is that he will be available for spring training to learn the Dodge system. A combination of size and speed that you look for in a running back. Just a lot of questions in my mind based on so little information available (example..why the drop off between his freshman and sophmore years...was he injured, did his team lose their OL blocking) If so he will give NT a great RB.

Picture%20061.jpg

Micah Mosley, Nederland, 6-1, 205, 4.53

Jr. Stats: 105 carries for 700 yds and 7 TD's

Sr. Stats: 1980 yds rushing, 22 TD's, 229 yds receiving

Sr. District 22 4A Offensive MVP

AP All State Team, 4A 1st Team offense RB

Mosely was offered visits to SMU, Tulane, Sam Houston and McNeese State.

OFFER MADE PER PORT ARTHUR NEWSPAPER 1-14-07, Visit to NT scheduled Jan 19th

Game Notes from Nederland Site: http://www.bigned.com/2006/corley/corley.htm

Verbaled to UNT on Jan 22nd! :thumbsup:

Harry's Take: Mosely reminds me of Patrick Cobbs in that he isn't the fastest in the 40-yard dash but his gears are incredibly fast in the first 5-10 yards and has the ability to break through the front seven. Like Cobbs, very productive at the high school level. Please note the 229 yards receiving because I see that as an area where he can help this team, perhaps as a utility back or 3rd down specialist. I wouldn't rule out a look at WR either. SO nice to be in the Golden Triangle again.

Oldtimer's Take: I wanted this RB. He has the size, speed, and success at the HS level which are good indicators of success at the college level. Not as highly rated as a lot of RB's but should be a very good RB with pass reception ability which is necessary in the Dodge system. With Roberson, they could be the sleepers in this years recruiting class and fill a voil that NT had as a RB last year. A void caused by lack of OL blocking to open seams and play calling, not giving our RB's and OL a chance against large number of Defensive players in the box.

image_4895115.jpg

Bron Hager, Austin Westlake (6-1, 210, 5.02) Son of former UT All American and 9 yr NFC veteran Brett Hager. Played two years at Westlake after transferring from the Regents School in Austin. Played RB at Regents, switched to LB his first year at Westlake and his Sr. year at Westlake switched back to RB due to team injuries.

Jr. Stats at LB, 84 tackles, 9 TFL, 2 sacks.

Sr. Stats: (HB/FB) rushed for over 1,000 yards while recording 400 yds receiving. Being recruited as LB.

District 25-5A 2nd Team offense as RB. Offer by Baylor...IF either of two offerred prospective players does not follow through and accept their offers.

Selected as RB in the *Telegram top state 100

Played LB and HB/FB in high school, recruited as a safety.

COMMITTED TO NORTH TEXAS 1/23/07 :thumbsup:

Harry's Take: Bron was very impressive to me in the State 5A Championship game against Carroll and I felt like he was one of the top 3-4 players on the field that day. He isn't the athlete that his daddy was at UT but he brings a gritty attitude and does not shy away from contact. It will be interesting to see how he fares at safety which from all accounts is a perfect match in Coach Mendoza's defense for his skillset.

Oldtimer's Take: A surprise recruit to me...He has the intensity and football savey needed but if his 5.2 speed is accurate lacks the speed I would want in a DB. Was not as highly recruited as other signees, but he does fit the Dodge system of playing the safety close to the line of scrimage to stop the Run and giving the CB's the defensive pass reception responsibility.

40-Jordan-Scoggins-TE.jpg

http://www.trinitytrojanfootball.com/videos/MVP-1.wmv

TE Jordan Scroggins, Euless Trinity HS, 6-2, 258, 4.8, Jr. Stats: 11 catches for 310 yds and 2 TD's, Sr Stats: 9 catches for 123 yds and 1 TD, Rivals Position Rank # 63, Considering Iowa State, UH, NT-offers, TCU, TT, FW *Telegram 1st team all state TE, Visit scheduled for UNT on 1-12-07, Central Arkansas Jan 19 and Iowa St Jan 26..No offer from Iowa state but Rivals report 1-09-07 indicated he would accept an offer from them and would like to play in the Big 12.

Rivals update report 1-18-07

Jordan Scoggins, a 6-foot-2, 255-pound, Euless (Tex.) Trinity product, will officially visit Iowa State on the weekend of January 26. And unless something unforeseen happens on the visit, he will likely commit to becoming a Cyclone. Rivalsa

Iowa State is recruiting Jordan Scoggins to play tight end.

Scoggins visited North Texas last weekend and will trip to Division I-AA Central Arkansas this weekend. With that tepid competition for his services, the Cyclones are definitely the leader for Scoggins' commitment. Originally from Arkansas, the TE/DL prospect said the ability to play in the Big 12 would be the main selling point in Iowa State's favor.

The Cyclones are also the only squad inviting Scoggins to play tight end, a stance which he says makes ISU's offer all the more enticing.

"They want me at tight end, and I want to be at tight end," Scoggins said Wednesday. "That's really important to me."

Scoggins said he was first contacted by Robert McFarland just before Christmas, and the stance of the new Cyclones' offensive coordinator when it came to Scoggins was clear.

"They told me they needed me to come up there and play tight end, and help them get the program moving in the right direction."

Scoggins' Trinity team bowed out in the second round of the Texas 5-A playoffs, and playing in front of the 60,000 fans that witnessed the game was the highlight of the Euless star's season.

Distance from home is no consideration, so the only trepidation Scoggins currently has regarding Iowa State and Ames is the weather. "I want to see how cold it is," said Scoggins. "That's about the only thing holding me back."

The forecast for Saturday, January 26th is 38 degrees. Trip to Iowa cancelled. It is not known what position he will play at NT.

Scout.com shows NT has offered Scoggins. FW*Telegram 1-24-07 confirms committment.

COMMITTED TO NORTH TEXAS 1-24 :thumbsup:

Harry's Take: Big, bad and loves to hit people. Just look at his eyes. Rumor has it he will play defensive tackle but I would love to see him get a look at guard. Either way he brings a certain nastiness that has been sorely needed in this program.

Oldtimer's Take: Fits the tight end mode, (but Dodge's system doesn't use a TE). He is light for a defensive lineman and will need to gain weight and strength to go with his agressive behavior. He had excellant blocking ability as a TE that should would translate into a DL mode. I would believe he will be redshirted this year, but hope I am wrong. I like the idea he (and Marcus Kings signing) might be opening up a recruiting line to Euless Trinity's huge lineman. Post signing edit...later info says he is up to 274 lbs and going toward 28 and working out to get ready for this fall.

p1brotherly248.jpggvizzaart.jpggvizzapowart.jpg

http://www.ksat.com/video/10556159/index.html

http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/local.aspx...5832,285768,565

Giovanni Vizza San Antonio Alamo Heights, 6-1, 190, 4.82 Dual threat QB Jr. Stats: Rushing 98 for 687 yds, 6 TD's, Sr. Stats: 3287 yds passing with 37 TD's and 8 interceptions, 1st Team 27-4A All District QB, San Antonio all area sub 5A 1st team QB.

Led Alamo Heights to state title. Offers from Army, Air Force, Nevada and NT. Considered 2* and rated 5.3 by Rivals.

Dave Campbells Texas Football 1st All Texas Team (30 players who had the greatest performances in 2006) 1st Team QB.

The San Antonio Express News Area Top 20 has Vizza ranked # 5. Randy Rogers rated Vizza the states # 1 uncommitted QB.

Harry's Take: The biggest sign of the class and a caliber of player that we could not typically recruit at North Texas in the Dickey regime. A very polished passer with a good arm and quick release. Height scared some of the bigger programs off and really blossemed in his senior season after much of the BCS recruiting was done. Knows the spread offense and has outstanding leadership qualities. A winner.

Oldtimer's Take: An excellant signing that the DD system would never have been able to sign. He played in a spread offense in HS which is what Dodge will install at NT giving him a nodge up vs our returning QB's. Outstanding passing ability and skills in HS. Gives NT the passing ability that was lacking last year and he could be the starting QB next year or get significant playing time. Our success in this area depends upon giving the QB and RB better OL blocking next year. I believe Dodges system will result in less defensive players inside the box, which should give our OL a beter change to block.

(Center) J. J. Johnson, Plano West (6-2, 257) will visit NT this weekend. He has offers from Utah State and La Monroe and is receiving interest from Tulsa. RR 5.3, 2*, 9-5A All District

COMMITED TO NORTH TEXAS JANUARY 28 :thumbsup:

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.d...0&adjust=-1

Harry's Take: JJ was overshadowed at West by A&M signee Bass. JJ has a D-I lower body and the potential for growth in time in his upperbody. My take is that they will redshirt him, put him in the weightroom and look for his help at center once Chad Rose closes in on graduation.

Oldtimer's Take: He played in a very tough HS district and was successful as his all district recognition indicates. To me his is a little light to play much his freshman year and will need a year to beef up in weight and strength. Will probably redshirt as a freshman.

ILB, A.J. Penson Lufkin HS, 6-1, 215, Jr. Stats: Scout.com has him with 85 tackles (I assume includes) 22 tackles for loss and 3 sacks. Scout.com has Penson a 3*

pictured as #7: http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto....amp;image_id=56

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto....amp;image_id=20

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto....&image_id=5

District 15-5A has him listed as 1st team all district at LB. Scout.com is high on him, listing him as a 3*, Position Rank #40,. Gridiron guide pre season had this to say about AJ " an enforcer @ LB" converted DE.

Considering Iowa State (1), Neb, Rice (1), A$M, UTEP (1) with offers from (1).

January 28, 2007

Penson headed to North Texas

John Talman

Rivals.com Football Recruiting

Lufkin, Texas linebacker A.J. Penson took an official visit to North Texas this weekend and wrapped up his recruiting process.

A.J. Penson made a decision for North Texas this past weekend.

The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder has had plenty of experience playing against Todd Dodge when Dodge was leading Southlake Carroll. With his previous experience and meeting him on the visit, Penson decided that North Texas was the place for him.

"It was good, I committed," Penson said. "I just liked North Texas and it's great what coach Dodge has going on there. I've played against him and I know how his teams play. I just wanted to be a part of that."

Penson said that the topic of playing time came up.

"Coach Dodge just told me to come in with the mentality of not redshirting because I'm probably going to play," Penson said. "They haven't ruled out redshirting though."

So is this the last visit or is Penson still looking?

"This is probably going to be it," he said. "I'm just going to be solid and sign on Feb. 7."

Prior Rivals post A.J. is an awful fine person and a high character

kid. Plus, he's a great football player."

Penson says that while he would like to play linebacker at the next

level, he'll play wherever the college coaches put him. Options are

already mounting on the recruiting front with schools like UTEP, Iowa State,

and Houston telling him to expect an offer in the mail.

Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Rice have verbally offered him at this time.

COMMITTED TO NORTH TEXAS JANUARY 28, 2007 :thumbsup:

Harry's Take: A very athletic and physical linebacker that is just a tad undersized, otherwise he's be at a BCS school. I agree with Dodge that he could play for us immediately. Love getting inroads at Lufkin which is a D-I factory.

Oldtimer's Take: One of the top two most highly rated players (3*by Scout.com and position rank #40). Like the Euless Trinity recruiting link it will hopefully give NT a recruiting link to Lufkin...my old HS. He had major schools recruiting him. Dodge's friendship with the Lufkin HS coach shoud also help this recruiting link (without this friendship we would never have signed this player). Despite the number of LBs returning at NT I believe he will receive playing time as a freshman and become an outstanding LB at NT.

img1.gif0%20(368)_jpg.jpg

ATH Greg Garden, Denton Ryan, Navy (6-0,190, 4.4) Greg was listed as a RB on the Navy Roster. He was a 3 year starter at Ryan playing DB/OLB and also as RB his Sr. year. Sr. Stats: 70 carries for 425 yds and 9 TD's while continuing to start on Defense. Greg was All District 5-5A 1st Team LB his Sr. year.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...s.62b339df.html

Recruited to play safety. He was injured and didn't play last year per DRC. Assuming redshirt status DRC stateshe will be able to play (elgible) in the 2008 season.

Harry's Take: I think UNT could have signed Garden out of high school and opted not to for reasons unknown to me. He made quite an impression at Navy where he was thought to be one of the best athletes on the entire team and would have played if not for injury. Fits the speed movement that Dodge is trying to infuse the program with.

Oldtimer's Take: Its nice to see NT recruit a Denton HS player. One of the 5 new receivers which the new offensive system requires. He will be able to participate in spring training while sitting out a required redshirt required by his transfer. This will give him a leg up when he does play because he will already know the Dodge system. He has the size and speed needed in a DB.

IMG_0506.jpg

T Matt Tomlinson Klein HS, pictured as #79 above, (6-6, 265) Rivals rating 2 *, 5.1, District 16-5A 1st Team OL, Houston Chronicle Top Area 100, Matt chose NT over offers from Rice, Tulsa, UTEP and Indiana.

Committed to North Texas 1/30/07 :thumbsup:

Harry's Take: Huge upside but a year or two away from reaching his full potential. A true blue offensive tackle prospect that has been so rare at North Texas. This kid is 6-5, 265 and not an ounce of fat on him. He could be 6-5, 290 before all is said in done. I would redshirt him and let Coach Mendoza beef him up and he could be a 3-4 year starter for North Texas.

Oldtimer's Take:Another highly recruited OL that NT nabbed. Has the height larger schools demand in lineman but will need a year to inprove his weight and muscle needed to play at the Div 1 level...which most HS players need their freshman year in college. Excellant signing.

301349m.jpg

CB/RB Kevin Ealey, Brenham, 5-9, 190, 4.5 - 2005 District 18-4A, 2 team All District as RB and 1st Team All District as CB , 2006 District 18-4A : 2nd Team All District 18-4A as FB and 1st Team as CB. Sr Stats 66 carries for 369 yds and 7 TD's, 24 receptions for 297 yds and 3 TD's

Recuited by NT to play CB

Sr Offensive Stats as RB: 66 carries for 365 yds and 7 TD's, 24 receptions for 297 yds and 3 TD's

Offers from UTEP and UH

February 01, 2007

UNT lands Brenham corner

North Texas picked up one of the top defensive backs in East Texas recently when Kevin Ealey of Brenham committed to play for the Mean Green.

Ealey was a two-time All-District 18-4A selection and was offered a scholarship by UTEP and Houston.

Ealey played both safety and cornerback for Brenham but was recruited as a cornerback by the Mean Green.

Ealey had committed to UNT earlier in the recruiting season and was not a replacement for Birdville wide receiver Jason Martinson, who switched his commitment from UNT to Texas State earlier in the week.

Ealey just proved to be tough to track down after he committed to the Mean Green a few days ago.

Posted by Brett Vito at 07:58 PM

Harry's Take: One of my top three (along with Vizza and Russo) I will go out on a limb here and say that this is the most talented player we recruited this year. Strong as an ox and incredibly fast, I think Ealy could press for playing time as a true freshman, and definately on special teams which is a major focus of Dodge. Outstanding sign for the Mean Green.

Oldtimer's Take: Probably the most multi talented player NT signed this year. I watched his videos as a WR and he just flat outran some DBs and would have made the most impessive receptions NT (ala Quinn) has seen but was equally skilled at DB, a position he was recruited for. He was a starter on both offense and defense which happensat a smaller school for the better ability players. He is a little short but has the weight and speed necessary for a DB. I believe he will play as a freshman either at DB or on special teams as Harry mentioned.

cs4.jpgCopy%20of%201EFE2994205.JPG

footba41.jpg

CB (WR) B. J. Lewis, Robinson HS, Pictured as #8 ( 6-1, 185, 4.5) 2006 TSWA Class 3A All-State Team as a DB. District 17-3A 1st Team WR, DB, and Return Specialist, Waco Triburne has him ranked # 21 in their top 25 Centex players. Jr. Stats: 34 receptions for 683 yds and 5 TD's, Sr. Stats: 5 interceptions returned for 30 yds, 49 receptions for 358 yds and 8 TD's On Defense he intercepted 6 passes and made 72 tackles.

He could wind up as WR since NT has a lot of Fr and Soph CB's and his ship replaced the WR who is going to Texas State.

Links to video's http://lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Pr_Key=49234

Harry's Take: Outstanding receiver that has that unique natural timing for the ball that Dodge covets. Needs to improve his upper body strength but has height and speed that you can't teach. Also has a great vertical leap. His skills make him a natural defensive back candidate. Needs to build mass to help support against the run at this level.

Oldtimer's Take: Another of the multi-talented players NT has recruited this year. Deemed to be one of the WR in Dodges system. Has the size and speed and should get playing time as a freshman. Played both starting offense and defense which is common in the smaller schools. Because of his DB experience, tackling ability, size and speed could contribute to special teams play as well as WR his freshman year.